Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    I don't understand.

If the you move the entire engine and transmission down 1", its angle has not changed, so there is no possibility of vibration

With the setup you are describing, there is going to be angle adjustment at the tail of the transmission and at the nose of the differential.
    I might be visualizing this incorrectly. Luckily I have your expertise to tap into. I've sourced an IRS assembly and a roller, now on to the powertrain decision.
    82 Mercury Capri - 11.99 @ 112, AFR headed Mountaineer motor
    86 Mustang LX Coupe - the original Coyote swap 4-eye. Gone but not forgotten!

I think all he is stating is that the u-joints have to be parallel in all planes in order to work properly. If the angle of the tail shaft u-joint mount, does not match the angle of the pinion u-joint mount, you will get vibration. As long as you keep the angles the same, you can drop or raise the engine transmission as much as you want (well until you hit extreme drive shaft angles.

As an aside, one of the tricks we used on a leaf sprung stock car was to angle the rear end down 1 degree. It helped the car gain traction out of the corners when you stepped on the throttle. One of those crippling modifications that worked on the short track that wouldn't work on the street.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12