Close

Thread: Power Antenna?

Default Power Antenna?

I have a 86 Mustang GT with the Premium Radio. The reception got bad so I tried substituting another antenna and the radio worked great. Since we keep the car covered a power antenna would be the way to go. Does anyone have experience with a power antenna?

Many years ago I started to install a power antenna in my 90 LX. I had bought one of the generic kits. I got as far as modifying the original factory base so that the antenna went straight up and not off at an angle. I also had to notch the area where the firewall meets the cowl to let it pass through.

Then it became my track car and I removed the radio along with pretty much everything else that wasn't needed for racing. Just another case of changing direction on a project car for me.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Well maybe I should have removed that plastic fender and inspected for clearance. Thanks for the information.

Did this many years ago on both Mercurys.
    Got the antennas from a couple Continental trunks.
    Make sure you get all the plugs attached to the antenna, the mount and the fender trim plate.
    Either follow the wire through the donor car and get about 7 foot of it.
    Or plan on adding wire later to reach the radio and fuse box.
    The wiring will all fit through the antenna wire hole in the car body.
    Seal it up so water will not leak in with some silicone.
    All the wires from the new antenna are used for installation except the top two.
    I do not remember what they go to. On my two antennas, some had different colored wires. So go by the position in the diagrams.
    I wired it to the fuses as in the diagram I made back then.
    Your fuse numbers will be different than mine. Just connect the wires to ones that will operate the same.
    Ignore the fuses on bottom right of my diagram 6,10,10,11, and 1 those are for my radio, locks and alarm.
    The blue wire from your radio should connect to the radio control wire on the antenna to make it go up and down when the radio is turned on.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Following. I've been sitting on a power antenna module for my car, but haven't gotten to it yet. Red, what did you do about the base differences?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Following. I've been sitting on a power antenna module for my car, but haven't gotten to it yet. Red, what did you do about the base differences?
    I don't believe there were any differences. I think the cars that I got them from were 1980 and up and they had the rectangular base. You had to unscrew the top using snap ring pliers. I used the new base because it was in new condition compared to my old one. This was all done 15 years ago so it all is fuzzy. That is why the wire diagrams were made. In case I needed to know where the wires went to since they would not be in the F/Z wire manual.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Okay, thanks. I think the antenna I have has an oval or round base. Hopefully I'll just need to do a little more junkyard crawling to find a rectangular base. I think i chose mine based on how easy it would be to remove from the car.

You're very organized though. My wiring has so many added things.. i don't have diagrams of any of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual