Close

Default plastic headlights

Anyone have a source for the smaller sealed beam plastic headlights, to fit a 1978 Zephyr?

Don't know what you are talking about.
    The only sealed beams on a 1978 Zephyr are the main headlamps, and those are glass.
    Under those are the plastic turn signal cases that have bulbs that are serviced by opening up the hood and reaching under the headlamp bulbs.
    Or by removing the silver outer headlamp/turn signal trim panel and removing the whole turn signal mounting case.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Some manufacturers produced aftermarket sealed beam housing in plastic form instead of glass. I had a set in an 83 GT and put them in at 86 GT. They were made by Sylvania.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Member

The high beams in my Panther-class Lincoln are plastic. I heard that they were factory stock to save weight, for fuel economy. They have gotten cloudy, and the plastic seems softer than more recent non-sealed headlights. I'm going to replace them with glass someday, right after I finish a dozen other projects.

I am looking for the replacement sealed beam headlights that were plastic instead of glass, some were offered as impact resistance replacement lights, I have found a couple searching the wrecking yards, looking for a source to buy new ones or if someone has some they would sell.

FEP Member

Are you looking for high beam or low beam?

either one, its for a race car so they most likley wont even be used but rules say they have to be there, trying to save weight any way possible.

The plastic Sylvania headlights are discontinued. Junkyard item.
    1985 GT- “Stock-ish” 5.0 motor, AOD/ trans brake. 12.68 @ 10131mph.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by MWarner View Post
    either one, its for a race car so they most likley wont even be used but rules say they have to be there, trying to save weight any way possible.
    I have a slightly hazy pair of high beams. You can have them for the shipping cost. Send me an IM to get the details.

FEP Member

Matt - sent you another PM, not sure where the other went, but it's not showing up in my sent messages.