Close

Thread: Marchal covers

FEP Power Member

Default Marchal covers

So are these being reproduced now? If so when did this happen? This seller has two versions and states that they reproduction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1986-M...4AAOSwQQxcuhc3
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1986-M...kAAOSwuz1bba2~
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

I don't see CJ Pony parts, NPD or FoxResto selling any reproduction covers. What I did notice is that a different seller...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1979-19...QAAOSwBF5eJ6Vj

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1979-19...wAAOSwxH1UDl63

Is selling the same fog light covers for around the same price (I posted the charcoal covers in the "FYI" section on this site yesterday, and another member linked to the 79 white covers in my post). He is saying these are NOS covers, and he is normally associated with selling NOS parts. I will e-mail him and see if he will tell me whether or not these are repro's.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

FEP Power Member

Yeah, I noticed your original post and did some looking on ebay and seen theses ones. I wonder if the original NOS ones have the part # embossed in them?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

I got a response back from vintageautoliterature. He said that they are original Ford parts, he picked up them up from Ford Motorsport years ago. I asked him if there was an engineering number stamped on the inside of the covers? He said there was not. I checked a set of used covers that I have, and they don't have an engineering number in them either.

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    I got a response back from vintageautoliterature. He said that they are original Ford parts, he picked up them up from Ford Motorsport years ago. I asked him if there was an engineering number stamped on the inside of the covers? He said there was not. I checked a set of used covers that I have, and they don't have an engineering number in them either.
    Based on the number he had for sale/sold he must have picked up a pallet full of them.

Vintageautoliterature is lying.

His are 100% repops. The repops fit very poorly.

There are other threads about it but the repops are different on the inside. They're missing gussets the originals have cast in to keep the side straight. That's the easiest way to spot the difference. for some reason I can't seem to be able to post pictures to this site or I wouldn't be able to show you the difference.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

Hopefully that's works. Two admittedly poor screenshots that I added it to try to show how the originals have a gusset that the reproduction Lacks. vintage auto literature never shows them from the back side to see this.

The reproductions are noticeably caved in on the sides while the originals are not.

Name:  Screenshot_20191022-094740.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  56.1 KBName:  Screenshot_20191022-094521.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  38.9 KB
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles

FEP Power Member

So who is making the reproduction ones now?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Don't know. Seems only two venders are selling them and one of those is lying about the source.
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles

Interesting, I'll have to check my NOS covers. I never knew they were reproduced.

I found a "For Sale" post from 2016 that goes over some more information on the covers...

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...g-light-covers

There were some comparisons between what were true NOS Marchal covers and ones that a member was selling at that time. They appear to be the same style covers that vintageautoliterature and some other sellers are selling on Ebay at the moment.

These covers that are being sold on Ebay are not true "NOS" covers, meaning they don't come in a Ford box with the part number on it. They are thicker than the original covers, and a wee bit narrower. And yes, they do not have the reinforcing ribs inside the covers like the original covers have. I took a set that I purchased off Ebay when I originally posted this fyi ad and tried them on my fog lights. They fit snug, and with some massaging I was able to clip them on the fog lights. i don't think they would come off when driving. It is true that the original covers fit better.

Whether they were made by Ford or not is anyone's question. I have been on this website for the better part of 13 years, and during that time I have never seen any of the aftermarket Mustang parts vendors (foxresto, NPD, LMR, cjponyparts etc.) selling these covers. This makes me think that they were not...say...a Daniel Carpenter or Scott Drake reproduction part, since all the vendors would be selling them. This leads me to believe that they are either a knock off made by someone who tried to reverse engineer the true Marchal covers, or were in fact made by Ford for sale through their Motorsports division (made in China, like many of their parts are) in the 80's and 90's and were dumped either because they weren't moving, or because they were seconds (because they didn't fit like the originals). I'm not sure if we will ever get the answer to this question, but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has more definitive information.

To say that autovintageliterature is "lying" is a bit presumptive at this point.

What I will say is that the covers are decent enough for a daily driver. Not show car material, but also not $200 NOS covers. I don't think that I would pay any more than what they are going for now on Ebay, but that is up to the buyer. If anyone does buy these covers, try them on your car as soon as you get them and make sure you are happy with the fit. If not, definitely contact the seller and ask that they be returned.

I appreciate all the input that members have posted. It definitely helps us make better informed decisions about the parts that we buy for our cars.
    Last edited by tbirdman; 02-07-2020 at 07:44 PM.

85 Mustang GT

I bought a set of covers thinking they were OEM, I cannot even install them.
    They are too tight and the clips will not engage.
    I bought them from a local Foxbody car parts seller, not on Ebay, but they look the same.
    Name:  IMG_7392.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  183.6 KB

They bottom out on the taper. When I asked him about it he told me to sand them out on the inside!
    Name:  IMG_7390 (2).jpg
Views: 53
Size:  103.2 KB

Where they contact can be seen.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  59.3 KB