Close

Default New guy in KC area

Howdy all,

New guy that just picked up my first four eye, an '83 GT 5.0 5 speed hatchback T-Top. It's a project car, but does run great and has a solid body. Plan is to semi-restore and be a driver.

It's as close to the car my late father had and loved when I was a kid, but I haven't been able to find. I have looked off and on for a while for an exact candidate, but found that it's just a rare car, if not one of a kind. He special ordered it; '83 GT 5.0, medium yellow, walnut interior, notchback, t-tops, no AC (didn't want to lose any power), and manual windows. He sold the car around 1988 after starting his own business when things got tight, and it was the last thing to go. I remember him telling us kids on the last ride in it that he "loved it like a step kid".

Anyhow, this car brings back those memories and I'll be painting it medium yellow and matching as many aspects of that car as I reasonably can.

Welcome from a fellow Missourian, looks like a pretty nice start for your build. Keep us posted on the progress.
    1986 ACS McLaren Capri
    1971 Mustang
    1968 F100

Welcome! Nice to have another local guy around.

Looks like a nice car to start with. I don't think ive seen a yellow 83 before.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by york0060 View Post
    Welcome from a fellow Missourian, looks like a pretty nice start for your build. Keep us posted on the progress.
    Thanks for the welcome, and I definitely will.

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Welcome! Nice to have another local guy around.

Looks like a nice car to start with. I don't think ive seen a yellow 83 before.
    Thanks. I'm actually from Olathe, and that's where we lived when my dad had the car. He also sold it to someone local I believe. Said he saw it a year or so later parked in front of a bar near his office with a burn mark on the hood from an engine fire. The carb was pretty finicky (he had done quite a bit to the engine to spice it up), and he told the buyer to keep an eye on it when he sold it. Guy didn't listen apparently.

There were a variety of yellow paints/codes available, just not on the Cobra, GT, Turbo GT, or SVO.

1979 = 64 Bright Yellow
    1980-81 = 6N Bright Yellow
    1982-83 = 61 Medium Yellow
    1987 = 6H Medium Yellow
    1988-89 = 66 Tropical Yellow
    1993 = BZ Canary Yellow Clearcoat (Feature Car only)
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 01-23-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by Adamn View Post

Thanks. I'm actually from Olathe.
    Where about did you grow up in Olathe?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    There were a variety of yellow paints/codes available, just not on the Cobra, GT, Turbo GT, or SVO.

1979 = 64 Bright Yellow
    1980-81 = 6N Bright Yellow
    1982-83 = 61 Medium Yellow
    1987 = 6H Medium Yellow
    1988-89 = 66 Tropical Yellow
    1993 = BZ Canary Yellow Clearcoat (Feature Car only)
    Thanks for that. I guess I know what paint code I need to get.

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Where about did you grow up in Olathe?
    All over. Late 70's/early 80's was the west side, by Two Trails park, then off 135th and Mur-len, and also 151st and Mur-len. Moved to south KC for a job when I was 18 and been on the Misery side since. Currently Raymore, I just always say KCMO for easier description online.