Close



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1

    Default Judging interest in Group Buy of 17" Wheels?

    As some know I'm currently restoring a 1983 Capri RS that I drove in highschool 20 years ago as well as a 1983 Mustang GT. I really dig the mesh wheels but wanted 17s!

    Well I found a source however the manufacturer has stopped production as of about 4 months ago. So if you see them for sale in 17" don't believe it... There are only 3 left.

    My dad runs a restoration business so we are set up as dealers for a lot of different suppliers. What the heck - I called and it turns out the manufacturer has a minimum run of 60 wheels to make them.

    Here's a link to see them...

    https://mstwheels.com/products/mt16-...7x9-5x114-3-20

    If I buy half of the run (28 to 32ish wheels) as a lot I get a great price (less then $500 a set) and they will produce them. If I don't buy a bunch the chances of them restarting production is nill.

    If you have interest in being in on this let me know ASAP. I have about 3 weeks to try and get 5 or 6 interested Mustang guys.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    As some know I'm currently restoring a 1983 Capri RS that I drove in highschool 20 years ago as well as a 1983 Mustang GT. I really dig the mesh wheels but wanted 17s!

    Well I found a source however the manufacturer has stopped production as of about 4 months ago. So if you see them for sale in 17" don't believe it... There are only 3 left.

    My dad runs a restoration business so we are set up as dealers for a lot of different suppliers. What the heck - I called and it turns out the manufacturer has a minimum run of 60 wheels to make them.

    Here's a link to see them...

    https://mstwheels.com/products/mt16-...7x9-5x114-3-20

    If I buy half of the run (28 to 32ish wheels) as a lot I get a great price (less then $500 a set) and they will produce them. If I don't buy a bunch the chances of them restarting production is nill.

    If you have interest in being in on this let me know ASAP. I have about 3 weeks to try and get 5 or 6 interested Mustang guys.
    Count me in for sure - IMO, if you post this on the Foxbody FaceBook pages it will spread like wild fire, you will easily get enough others to commit.

  3. #3
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    12,943

    Default

    That's cool! The issue may be your offset is only 20mm where most Fox 5 lugs use the 24mm offset for a 9" wheel. That could cause a major issue for many buyers.
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  4. #4

    Default

    I agree! You might want to see if they would produce a different offset, that should jump the interest. I might even be in the group at that point (Gold on a Dark Metallic Cordovan...hmmmm).

    Kenny

  5. #5

    Default

    My previous reply of "count me in" is based on the proper (correct) offset as pointed out by Trey
    Good catch Trey - also, are we talking about 5 lug only or could this be done for 4 lug original set-ups?

  6. #6

    Default

    If 4 lug AND single drilled lug pattern count me in

  7. #7

    Default

    I too am interested in a 4 lug. Would prefer black mesh but guess I can get them painted afterward.
    Steve

  8. #8

    Default

    Or possibly ask the manufacturer to leave some as blanks with sufficient hub material that we can get machined locally into 4 bolts?
    Thats how TSW were able to provide the wheels in Canada for my 79 Capri back in the early 80s..

  9. #9

    Default

    I think they are all set for a five lug pattern. 4 lug would not be easy to do considering the pattern of the spokes but Iíll ask. The offset is a good point Trey Iím glad you pointed that out! So to my mind, the 4 mm is only 0.157 of an inch so I was optimistic this isnít a huge factor. Itís not that I donít trust that 24 mm would be better than 20 mm, but I was hoping it was something that would still workÖ Could I get some others to comment on what they have run on their cars and how close the fit is?

    I will of course ask if they can make it in the 24 mm offset but it would be good to know how big of a deal it is if they say no.

  10. #10
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    12,943

    Default

    The offset issue in my mind and experience is that too much offset can be corrected with spacers if there are no other options. Too little offset ( or backspacing) can't really be corrected without body work, flares, etc.

    I am not the wheel expert in regards to every offset, etc. to fit the Foxes. Generally it appears that 20mm works for the 4 lug stock setup on a Fox and 24mm works for the 5 lug conversions. The 4 Eyed cars even with the 20mm offset can often still need a small spacer to gain strut clearance. I believe you stated there are 3 of these wheels still in their system at this time. Might be worth the hassle of ordering one wheel and checking the fitment on your personal car.

    I don't see how the current casting could be used as a 4 lug wheel. The back side of the wheel definitely doesn't work in its current configuration. Good Luck with the process and definitely keep us all in the loop.
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  11. #11

    Default

    [QUOTE=wraithracing;1917

    I don't see how the current casting could be used as a 4 lug wheel. The back side of the wheel definitely doesn't work in its current configuration. Good Luck with the process and definitely keep us all in the loop.[/QUOTE]

    The MT16 is shown in a 4 lug option on their site direct below the 5 lug. Itís a 15Ē 4x100 wheel, but does show they have 4 lug. Thereís also a 4 lug set on eBay

  12. #12
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    12,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    The MT16 is shown in a 4 lug option on their site direct below the 5 lug. It’s a 15” 4x100 wheel, but does show they have 4 lug. There’s also a 4 lug set on eBay
    I wasn't saying they couldn't make a 4 lug version. I was just stating that the current 17X9 casting can't be left as a blank and then drilled as a 4 lug due to the existing shape of the backside. if the backside was a full round circular pad, then it would be much easier to make a 4 lug version of the same casting. Obviously they can create a new mold/casting/wheel that could be a 4 lug in the 17x9 size. Hope it all works out as that would be cool.
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  13. #13

    Default

    Yes thats what I meant about having enough material on the hub for a four bolt.
    It would be great to have a modern size alternative to use with the 80s vibe. Resto is in !
    Trying to save my 16 inch Epsilon's for show only.Name:  1983_ford_mustang_gt_5-0_1575164186b108f5b354ed61983-Mustang-today-right-front-3-4.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  261.1 KB

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drivunn View Post
    Yes thats what I meant about having enough material on the hub for a four bolt.
    It would be great to have a modern size alternative to use with the 80s vibe. Resto is in !
    Trying to save my 16 inch Epsilon's for show only.Name:  1983_ford_mustang_gt_5-0_1575164186b108f5b354ed61983-Mustang-today-right-front-3-4.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  261.1 KB
    I'm searching for a set of those, it's the best wheel for a 4 eye Fox !!

  15. #15

    Default

    I would do 4 lug and black.

  16. #16
    FEP User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    South Central Ohio
    Posts
    76

    Default

    I'd be in for a set of black 4 lugs...

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    That's cool! The issue may be your offset is only 20mm where most Fox 5 lugs use the 24mm offset for a 9" wheel. That could cause a major issue for many buyers.
    Trey, I called and spoke with someone at LMR and they said their 17x9 wheels for a Fox have a +20 offset... I'm going to get some coming to verify the fitment.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 85WhiteGT View Post
    I'd be in for a set of black 4 lugs...
    Sorry friends - the 17" wheel is ONLY available as a 5 lug. I wish for 4 lug also but its not a possibility. I have 2 samples on the way so I can try them on a Capri ASAP.

    Please let me know if your interested in a set of 4 17x9's... if I can get 6 -7 guys who are serious I'll get the order in to the factory and in a few months they can be shipped to your door!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    Sorry friends - the 17" wheel is ONLY available as a 5 lug. I wish for 4 lug also but its not a possibility. I have 2 samples on the way so I can try them on a Capri ASAP.

    Please let me know if your interested in a set of 4 17x9's... if I can get 6 -7 guys who are serious I'll get the order in to the factory and in a few months they can be shipped to your door!
    If they can be had with the proper BS and offset, 5 lug in 17x9 and could get Black (not Gold) I'd be in

  20. #20

    Default

    Sorry but I'm out. Need to stay 4 bolt as mine is the original Popular Hot Rodding Project Car built by C Van Tune in 82/83.
    Wanting to keep ability to put 4 bolt Epsilon wheels on car... they cost $2000 in 1983 ! Car's MSRP was only $9000. We have it good these days!
    Steve

  21. #21

    Default

    And I should have also thanked you Foot2Floor for taking the initiative to help us all.
    Steve

  22. #22
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    12,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    Trey, I called and spoke with someone at LMR and they said their 17x9 wheels for a Fox have a +20 offset... I'm going to get some coming to verify the fitment.
    I am not sure which wheels they are referring to specifically. Virtually everything I see on LMR list the 17x9 5 lug wheel as a SN95 24mm offset. The 17x9 4 lug wheels are listed as Fox wheels with a 19-20mm offset.

    Definitely give them a try and let us know. As so many of us have seen thru the years, the tolerances on Fox body vehicles is pretty wide and what fits for one vehicle doesn't necessarily fit for another. There are also so many ways to convert to a 5 lug on a Fox body these days and each conversion can have different fitment issues. Good Luck and keep us informed on how it goes.
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  23. #23

    Default

    Have you guys considered ESM wheels? You can get BBS style basket weaves all the way to an 18", drilled for 4x108, a couple different offsets, and lip sizes. They're more expensive but you don't have to buy a bulk order.
    https://esmwheels.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=81
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

    2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 795.0pacecar View Post
    Have you guys considered ESM wheels? You can get BBS style basket weaves all the way to an 18", drilled for 4x108, a couple different offsets, and lip sizes. They're more expensive but you don't have to buy a bulk order.
    https://esmwheels.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=81

    Thanks for the info

  25. #25

    Default

    Thx BizJet. They were on my list when Foot2floor started the thread. Once I get some projects out of the way on my 66 vette , I’ll have rooms to move on to the fox.
    steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •