Close

Default Mustangs Unlimited in Manchester CT closing?

I heard an interesting rumor recently. One of my neighbors said he went to Mustangs Unlimited in Manchester and that they will be closing. He also said he talked to the owner who told him Manchester would close first, then the Atlanta store would follow. The first big event of the year is the Shelby-American meet held at M/U on the last weekend of April. No word on where, or if, it will be held this year.

M/U started back around 1974, so if the owner was in his twenties back then, he's probably nearing retirement age by now.

If true its a bummer. Been there a few times with my father picking up larger pieces for his 1985 mustang. What is really disappointing me is they not only catered to foxes but many generations of mustangs.

I was kind of wondering. I got a few emails recently about sales. I need a few things for my 67 and I could not find them on their web site. These were normal things like belt line weather strip and seat foam. I kind of thought it was the phone app at first. They have been around for a long time. I spent a lot of money with them in late 80's when I was restoring my 67 coupe.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

FEP Power Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Wild if true. Mustangs Unlimited in CT kind of "jumped the shark" by moving about ten years ago. They were in this kind of cramped location originally, but had all those cool car shows that New Englanders (and some New Yorkers) remember, starting in the 1980s. These extravaganzas took place every Spring & Fall! Very family-friendly events with grassy surfaces and shade trees, not to mention that popular seafood restaurant next door. Mustangs Unlimited moved a few miles down the road to this mega-huge place that wasn't at all inviting. Overhead was probably way higher too.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 01-21-2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: text added

I thought they had already closed the doors. This info has been out for quite a few months / nearly a year.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    86 Capri 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 4E
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Senior Member

Yep, sure looks that way. They have discounted whatever parts they have in stock. A real bummer. I bought a lot of parts from them back in the late 80s/Early 90s.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Atlanta closed a long time ago. Opening that store is probably what killed them.
    We found out it would slowly be shutting down when we were at the car show there last fall.
    Last edited by Realmongo; 02-23-2020 at 09:40 AM.
    John
    2017 Convertible 6-Speed
    1984 GT 5.0 T-Roof
    1965 Coupe 4-Speed
    1964-1/2 Coupe C4-Auto
    MCA National Certified Judge 1964-1966 and 1979-1993