Close

Default Some amazing historic reads

I was looking for some info the other day and came across some articles I had not read before that I thought I would share.

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/jon-...asters-winner/

https://mooregoodink.com/kaase-wins-vintage-class/

Both are absolutely unreal of course. We'd expect nothing less from Kasse afterall.

I also noticed that there is a Hemi style head available for our smallblock Fords now.
    https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...th-hemi-heads/
    https://mooregoodink.com/hammerhead-...427ci-sb-ford/

Still waiting for a few mysteriously lost pairs of 4V per cyl SBF heads to emerge from Ford with Motorsports stampings. I have pictures of a set, but I've never seen any. The power potential there is obvious.

Now if someone would just retrofit VVT into a Windsor for us to geek out on.

What I am actually looking for is the Engine Masters Magazine article where they marked out where the top of the top compression ring ends up in the bore then where the inside diameter of the fire ring on a head gasket was, then marked where the center of the intake valve was in relationship to the bore. They rounded off the part of the block that stuck out past the head gasket and was above the compression ring. This dramatically improved the intake valve flow -- especially at low lift and with large valves on the sort side radius.

The article talked about pick up 40 HP and even more torque with this fairly simple and free but somewhat time consuming modification.

Its one of those things you file away in the back of your mind for one day when you get a chance to build another engine.....

Shrouding is discussed here, but it certainly is not the article I was looking for.
    https://www.musclecardiy.com/perform...ylinder-heads/
    Last edited by erratic50; 01-15-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks for the links. Did cost me that much time, my chores at home suffered from it.
    Hemi heads on a FSB! It can't get any better.
    And saw a silver foureye that wasn't boring like mine. This one had the red stripes along the bottom of the sides. Pretty.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Your free to back cut 260 thou below the deck on a 1.536 compression height engine like a 350 Chev or 200 Ford or a lot less on the 1.08 compression height Kaase had on his spacer plated 1.425 rod ratio engine. Guys in Georgia have been doing spacer plate, flitched up Big Block 460 based hard rock blocks since the earky 90s.

The whole annular part above the ring lands and the rings on drag back to bdc fron tdc can be removed and a spacer plate added.IMHO, Kaase had only touched the 1/5ths of the ice berg...
    Thank goodness the FRRP's 4 valve head is still around.The 7.3 and aftermarket Dart 347 to 453 blocks need that. Not this Double OHC crap.

Variable valve timing...The V10 Vipers last LA based engine had it. Jesels Pirelli/Uniroyal BMC Mini based belt driven timing gear set makes space for the Ford VVT system Eaton designed. So with 50 degrees on the cam and 20 degrees on the Lobe Center Line angle splay, theres your VVT.

My drawing skills are poor but this is what they did in the Engine Masters article

find and mark with metal dye where the top of the top compression ring is in the bore

find where the inside of the fire ring lands on the block from the head gasket, mark

find where the center of the valve intersects with the bore on the near side, Mark

Take down and blend the bore edge at the top to allow smooth air intake from head to chamber without a corner of the bore on the block obstructing flow on the near side of the valve

takes a few hours of time. Even with just a stock E7 head on a 302 the gain was massive. Now realize as valve size increases so do the gains.

Now, this discussion goes nicely into a bore size discussion. It’s why I like big bore blocks so much too.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by erratic50; 01-19-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    My drawing skills are poor but this is what they did in the Engine Masters article

Okay, that was a little different. Thankyou!

The old Georgia Satellite trick. You can do anythang but keep your H beam Conrods to y'rself.

Hot Rod Magazine talked about it 22 years ago on a Big Block Ford V8 Article.

The Aussies were doing it in 1958 on a Twin Cam Holden 2.9 liter six. Up from 2.2 liters.

https://fordsix.com/posting.php?mode...&f=13&p=115852

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    Been done by Aussie Merv Waggot in the Twin Cam Holden 2950 cc six back in 1958. One of these hit fame in the offshore power boats, another in the Waggot Centuar. Merv was a self taught pattern maker with lots of plucky ideas.

He just added sleeves, a seven bearing crank using a special girdle(aka the modern RB Nissan girdle), then dowled in a 500 thou plate on the Holden block. The engine was now much bigger than the 2262 cc it was when it started, a 31% boost in capacity. It, the custom steel crank, and the twin cam head boosted power from 75 hp to 229. Three times the power, and still using stock rods!

It was expensive. He lost money on each one!

Cool old article there.