Close

Hybrid View

FEP Senior Member

Default How to convert 1984 doors to a 1979 Mustang

Has anyone replaced newer doors into a 1979/80/81 Mustang? I’m aware that the door handles and locks are in a different position. I later realized the door glass is different as well.

If anyone has done the swap, how difficult is it to do?

Thanks

Patrick

I have swapped doors back and forth over the years. I have never had an issue with the door glass being different. What exactly are you referring to in regards to the door glass? I know the bracket on the bottom of the glass has changed over the years, but the overall glass size and shape did not.

There are 3 glass types for the Four Eyes 79-86. The hard top glass, convertible glass, and the T-top glass. As long as the doors are the same style from the 84, you shouldn't have any issues.

The 79 and early 80 models have the door handle in the lower position. The later 80-93 models all use the top inner door handle position. The 79-80 models use the hard plastic door panels with the door lock rod horizontal below the arm rest. The 81-93 all use the vertical door lock rod that exits at the top of the door panel.

I have done a bunch of swaps, so what exactly do you want/need to do. Hopefully I can answer your questions and help you out.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Hello Trey, when I ordered the new door glass, it was specifically noted the door glass changed in 1981 or 1982. They showed me the measurements and the older ones are larger. Armed with that information, I began to wonder if converting the interior to fit 1979 door pulls and locks would be a problem. I’ve got the 1979 doors and planned on modifying the newer doors to fit the older door handles and lock mechanisms.

If the glass is larger, I don’t know if it’s going to work.

Patrick

Well that's news to me. I guess I will have to pull some door glass and measure them myself. I will be surprised if there is much difference, but I will have to take your word for it for now.

I did just check my Ford Parts list. I show the E2ZZ part number for the front door glass for the 80-82 models, my catalog doesn't show the 79 Part numbers. The catalog does list an E3ZZ part number for 83-86 models, but the only notation is 2 hole, which I believe refers to how the bottom bracket mounts to the glass. My belief is the different part numbers has more to do with the bracket mounting than anything else, and any difference in glass size doesn't really affect the fitment of the glass in the door.

There was a change in the door frame trim molding early in the Four Eye production, but still the same door channel run fits all the doors from 79-93 and doors will interchange from 79-93 mechanically and body fitment wise, so I seriously doubt you will have any issues with the glass.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Now you got me thinking, how different are the lock mechanisms? I ask because I acquired a convertible door for my '81 ttop coupe and haven't mounted it yet.

(Maybe I should get off my butt and DO it!)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Now you got me thinking, how different are the lock mechanisms? I ask because I acquired a convertible door for my '81 ttop coupe and haven't mounted it yet.

(Maybe I should get off my butt and DO it!)
    The 79 and 80 door lock mechanism runs horizontal rather than vertical. I know many of the Mustang sites indicate that the door lock mechanism is the same for 79-93. Honestly I have not sat down and compared them side by side. I am pretty sure the 79/80 is different due to the lock rod attaching at a different angle. I have always just swapped lock mechanisms when installing newer doors on 79/80 cars. I will try and look up the part numbers in my catalog to see what it shows.

The convertible door will fit your coupe, but remember the door glass is unique to the T-top so you will need to swap that over from your existing door. The convertible glass is different and will not seal properly. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The 79 and 80 door lock mechanism runs horizontal rather than vertical. I know many of the Mustang sites indicate that the door lock mechanism is the same for 79-93. Honestly I have not sat down and compared them side by side. I am pretty sure the 79/80 is different due to the lock rod attaching at a different angle. I have always just swapped lock mechanisms when installing newer doors on 79/80 cars. I will try and look up the part numbers in my catalog to see what it shows.

The convertible door will fit your coupe, but remember the door glass is unique to the T-top so you will need to swap that over from your existing door. The convertible glass is different and will not seal properly. Good Luck!
    Yes, I do remember the part about the glass being pretty unique for ttops, thank you. I'll try to do up lock mech part numbers as well.

Glass from 79-81 doors is indeed different from 82 up. Heck the door is different. If you look at the rear edge where the window trim sits it is narrower than a 82 up door. If you try and buy the outer belt trim aftermarket they will not fit the 79-81 doors without modifications. But no one else sells them and if you are careful you can mod them and they look factory.
    Chris,
    You guys go ahead and restore em! I'm gonna mod em!

79 Pace Car, 96K Original, Turbo 4, 4 speed. Soon to be V8 5 Speed!
    83 GT Project
    79 Z28 89K Original!