Close

Default MSD streetfire wiring help.

Getting ready to start wiring in my ignition in my 84 and am kind of confused on which method to use. Do I use this one using white wire trigger?
    Attachment 130917

Or this one using magnetic pickup trigger?
    Attachment 130918

I do have the adapter harness 8869 for connecting to a duraspark dizzy.

Thanks
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Senior Member

You use the white wire trigger if you have a carb and an oil filled round coil like the picture shows. The square epoxy coil is used on the fuel injected cars.

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    You use the white wire trigger if you have a carb and an oil filled round coil like the picture shows. The square epoxy coil is used on the fuel injected cars.
    Yup I know that. I was asking about the 2 different ways
    Of hooking up using a ford duraspark distributor . Might be hard to tell cause my pics are sideways. Bottom diagram on top pic and top diagram on bottom pic. One uses white wire trigger and the other uses magnetic pickup trigger.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I would use the duraspark magnetic pickup version.

It looks like the first example with the white wire is maybe used more for a points based trigger system ? Normally the duraspark module tiggers the green wire on the coil I believe.

The orange and purple wires off your duraspark distributor are basically your magnetic trigger. If you have the adapter it should all just plug in and not use the white wire etc.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    I would use the duraspark magnetic pickup version.

It looks like the first example with the white wire is maybe used more for a points based trigger system ? Normally the duraspark module tiggers the green wire on the coil I believe.

The orange and purple wires off your duraspark distributor are basically your magnetic trigger. If you have the adapter it should all just plug in and not use the white wire etc.
    Ok, that's the one I was thinking I should use but I was not completely sure as I've no experience doing this lol. Thanks!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Unless you have a specific reason why this setup is absolutely required, I would not do it. Most of the aftermarket stuff out there ends up being a ticket to a tow truck ride. The factory ignitions are able to light off a lot -- way more than a stock block will generally handle.

Personally, I would not change unless I had to.

What parts number is your dizzy? And the coil side/shape of coil doesn’t matter as long as it’s compatible with the street fire box. It will tell you. Like the big yellow Accel could DO NOT work with most msd 6 boxes... anyways, The one wire vs Mag pickup depends on your dizzy type.

Most all Distributors have a mag pickup and you can splice those two wires in the distributor from the mag pickup to those two wires in your second diagram. This way eliminates all electronics that could go wrong. And goes straight to the box. It’s about a 1-3hr conversion depending how much experience you have. This would require disassembly, and your tach wore would have to be wired from your box now.

the harness kit could also work but not sure which dizzy you have.

The above method eliminates any extra issues and really helps with eliminating diag problems, keeping your car consistent. Either box, wiring or mag pickup issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the purple & orange wires from your msd box to the distributer, White wire is not used, just cap it off, That is how my 84 is wired and have not had a problem.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

FEP Super Member

^^^ this is how my 84 has been wired for 20 years .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Thanks guys!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged347 View Post
    Use the purple & orange wires from your msd box to the distributer, White wire is not used, just cap it off, That is how my 84 is wired and have not had a problem.
    Bob
    So do you use stock tach or aftermarket? From reading I guess I need the msd magnetic pickup tach adapter if I want to use my stock tachometer. This sound right?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Super Member

That is correct .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Ok thanks
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I believe you just need to find your green wire that goes to the tach in your factory harness and hook it to the - negative on the coil.

If you follow the wiring this green wire ties together with the duraspark module green and the old coil connector green and then goes to the tach in the dash. I am using an HEI module conversion in place of the duraspark module and the factory tach still just triggers off the coil...so should work same in my opinion.

Perhaps this adapter does the same thing. Im not sure. Perhaps others can also confirm this.

Ya not too sure. From what I've read you need that adapter if your using magnetic trigger and getting rid of duraspark box. I think there is a way to use duraspark to trigger msd which would keep stock tach working.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Got me curious now if there is something different about the MSD ignition boxes that you need an adapter ? Perhaps the CDI or multiple spark feature of the MSD etc ?

I know for sure the factory tach on my 80 works fine with my MSD 8503 ready to run when I connect the green wire to coil negative. It also works with the GM HEI conversion trick and of course the duraspark ignition box.