Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ssp wheels

And you want the wheel (shaft) centered! It looks right and it keeps the steering equal to both sides. On the pickups with the recirculating ball steering box, you can hear the pump whine if the shaft isn't centered (well, worse than a ford PS pump whines anyway).

Kenny

If you replaced the R&P that could be the issue. The R&P has to be centered on it's travel to allow the steering wheel to be centered without major adjustments.

The steering rag joint generally wouldn't be the issue. Possible to be off if the you installed the rag joint 180 degrees out, otherwise it will most likely be the rack and pinion being off center internally.

What position is the steering wheel in when the front wheels are pointing straight? Do both tie rods end have roughly the same number of threads showing on the outer tie rod end?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

I did replace the rack.he had mentioned that,if he had set the wheel where it was straight,he said I would have never been able to drive the car.he also mentioned that he said he centered the rack.and aligned it where everything should be.it drives nice and straight.but the wheel is way off..nothing is easy..what to do next? I guess I can check the rag joint and if that isn’t it,take it a step further.I don’t have much knowledge about all this.120 bucks for a alignment...I wasnt expecting this..

FEP Member

I will look at these tommorrow and see what I find..

OK, If you alignment guy actually centered the rack and aligned it that way, it should be an easy fix. I would set the wheels nice and straight, then disconnect the steering shaft at the rack and pinion. Verify if the steering shaft is aligned on the rack and pinion. I can be installed incorrectly and not aligned and that can cause the steering wheel to be off. There is a flat spot on the spline and the bottom of the rack joint/steering shaft. Align those two spots and that should hopefully straighten your steering wheel.

If by chance the bottom of the rag joint and the R&P are in alignment, then the next most likely issue would be the two sections of the rag joint. Make sure the bottom of the rag joint is aligned with the R&P, then disconnect the two bolts that hold the rag joint together, rotate the top of the joint 180 degrees and see if that fixes the steering wheel issue.

The only other area that I can think of that would allow the steering wheel to be way off would be if the column is the 79-early 83 splined steering column and wheel. I believe yours is an 85/86 and that would have the D shaft that only allows the wheel to be installed one way. The splined shafts can be misaligned if you aren't paying attention. Easy way to check the column is to pull the horn pad and look underneath. If you have a shaft with a nut holding the steering wheel on you have the earlier column. If you have a shouldered bolt holding the wheel on then you have the mid 83 and later D style shaft. Hope that helps and good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    OK, If you alignment guy actually centered the rack and aligned it that way, it should be an easy fix. I would set the wheels nice and straight, then disconnect the steering shaft at the rack and pinion. Verify if the steering shaft is aligned on the rack and pinion. I can be installed incorrectly and not aligned and that can cause the steering wheel to be off. There is a flat spot on the spline and the bottom of the rack joint/steering shaft. Align those two spots and that should hopefully straighten your steering wheel.

If by chance the bottom of the rag joint and the R&P are in alignment, then the next most likely issue would be the two sections of the rag joint. Make sure the bottom of the rag joint is aligned with the R&P, then disconnect the two bolts that hold the rag joint together, rotate the top of the joint 180 degrees and see if that fixes the steering wheel issue.

The only other area that I can think of that would allow the steering wheel to be way off would be if the column is the 79-early 83 splined steering column and wheel. I believe yours is an 85/86 and that would have the D shaft that only allows the wheel to be installed one way. The splined shafts can be misaligned if you aren't paying attention. Easy way to check the column is to pull the horn pad and look underneath. If you have a shaft with a nut holding the steering wheel on you have the earlier column. If you have a shouldered bolt holding the wheel on then you have the mid 83 and later D style shaft. Hope that helps and good luck!
    wow!! Thanks!! Great info.

FEP Member

Looking for a full set of black lug nuts for 1985-86 ssp wheels.Are they a special type?any help or link would be appreciated

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

No, they're not a special type. Find some black 1/2" conical seat lug nuts and you'll be good to go.

FEP Member

Thanks Patrick!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12