Close

Default Identify Speedo Cable Bracket

So I have this bracket that was hanging from the bad speedo cable that was replaced recently. Can anyone tell me where this mounts to and how it mounts? It doesn't look like it's bolted since it has a square hole at it's top. Name:  IMG_20200106_163059.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  91.9 KB
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

On my 86, there is a bracket that secures the speedo cable to the frame rail in order to keep it away from the headers. I do not remember the square hole though but it does bolt to the frame rail. If I remember I will try and snap a picture of it when I get home.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

That'd be great!
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

The bracket mounts to the floor pan on the driver’s side to keep the speedo cable away from the H-pipe. When I put my ‘86 back together, I used a black plastic ribbed stud to hold it in place...bad choice, as the plastic melted and dropped the speedo cable onto the H-pipe. This was a nice Ford cable, and I’ve been unable to find a replacement as nice.

When I put the replacement cable on, I bought a short 3/8” flange bolt (verify that’s the right size) and cut the bolt down to make it shorter, then used the bolt to form threads in the hole in the floor pan. Worked great. Oh, you may want to wrap your new cable in one of those shiny heat-resistant sleeves for extra heat protection, assuming your not doing a full restoration to stock.