Close

Default 79 pace car exhaust manifold elimination

Hi guys, I want to eliminate the clunky old stock manifold on my pace. What ‘shorty style’ HEADER manifold and what brand will work . I’ve heard 1993 Ford ranger will work ,but will need custom cutting and fitting on my underpipe from the turbo to new header part will be needed.. I’m willing to make the piping modification at this point.. please help!!! I’ll take texts and calls or replies on this post . PM doesn’t work . (810)875-5202. Much appreciated.. Todd

SuperDuty455 had a factory tube header on his 1979 turbo.

See his posts

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...1979-Mustangs-!

Post # 37

Page 2

Post #126 and 132.

Page 6

"http://s206.photobucket.com/user/Raptor3388/media/1979%20Mustangs/Red%20Notchback/DSC_0460.jpg.html"

Ethansmith, webestang and bungy.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...xhaust-Systems

As you'll appreciate, the downstream air parts and the actual position of the cross over pipe flange will be a hard task to master if you use the 93 headers.

I don’t need the threaded taps for any smog equipment. I’m only needing to custom bend a underpipe from header to the turbo. I can’t See the pics clearly on your link you posted . Also the tube style header is what I’m really wanting , not a stock style heavy cast iron style.. ANY pics of what I’m really seeking??? The header needs to be a ‘shorty’ style ..

Default this one

Hello again PCT

Salvaged my header from mid 1990's Ranger 2.3.
    In use for 20 years now working fine.
    The silver header spray paint is touched up as needed.
    Although header is stainless, it discolors after a while like any other exhaust manifold, painted or not.
    Prob could polish and clear coat or powdercoat.

First item:
    Mid 90's Ranger 2.3 header install needs mod to block cyl head egr exhaust port holes.
    You will see the port holes on the cylinder head after taking off the cast iron header. The gasket has holes too.

The early 2.3 has four egr holes at the exhaust ports. The later 2.3's do not have egr ports there.
    The early turbo's stock cast iron manifold and gasket has egr port provisions, as do the aftermarket cast iron versions.
    The Ranger tube header's flange and gasket are not quite wide enough to cover the early head egr holes.
    This is a small exhaust leak x4. Can be heard. The black exhaust trail from the leaking ports can eventually be seen under the header tubes.
    I plugged those four little egr exhaust manifold portholes with Thermoseal metal repair material.
    Then, added stainless shims, under the header gasket and over the holes, to keep the Thermoseal from blowing out..
    The Thermoseal eventually cures, and any tiny leaks fill with carbon to further seal the egr port passages.
    Exhaust manifold bolts can be reused installing the header.

Second item: Joining the new tube header with the crossover pipe to the turbo.
    The turbo end of crossover is fine all the way to the straight center section of pipe in front of trans, behind oil pan.
    The bends are different from the center (car, engine) to the header.
    An old school non-chain muffler shop did mine.
    Do not cut stock crossover pipe and weld in new bends.
    The welding may leave bb's in the pipe that will get sucked up and lock the turbo.
    If cutting the middle of crossover pipe to fit new bends, use a wide Accuseal band clamp, instead of welding, to be safe.
    A whole new custom one piece front crossover is best.
    Pretty positive crossover and down pipes were SS.

The rear turbo down pipe, from turbo to cat, will be fine, no mods.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-08-2020 at 08:13 PM.

How can I get one of these??? Awesome!!!!

Salvage yard. Could call them to check for Rangers. 1993- late 90's. 2000's Mazda 2.3 engine no fit.
    Should be some yard Rangers up by you.

Got mine before self serve yards existed, so they pulled one for me. Paid more but oh well.
    Paid 100.00 (1997) but they pulled it and cost more then, being only a few years old.
    Looks like 50.00 is the going rate now.
    Parts Galore here lists exhaust manifolds at about 22.00, self serve. They always have Rangers.

The hard part besides removing the manifold bolts id access to cut off the Ranger downpipe and egr.
    A metal saw or pipe cutter of course is needed.
    I ripped out the RTFT wheelwell out of one once to get the down pipe. Its a job. Even in summer.
    Was the safest way.

They have an O² bung I plugged with an old drain plug.
    I see wider header flanges are available. Could sammich one in to block those egr holes i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by pacecartodd View Post
    I don’t need the threaded taps for any smog equipment. I’m only needing to custom bend a underpipe from header to the turbo. I can’t See the pics clearly on your link you posted . Also the tube style header is what I’m really wanting , not a stock style heavy cast iron style.. ANY pics of what I’m really seeking??? The header needs to be a ‘shorty’ style ..
    hope you can see them now. #2 & 3 revised links.

This is exactly what I’m seeking!!!! Anyone have one??!!!!