Close

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Foureyedjoe View Post
    This weekend it was warm enough out that I decided to continue with my Intake replacement. So I pulled my lower intake cleaned everything up and installed my GT40 lower intake.

One thing that I noticed that I feel is strange is that when I pulled my Distributor out on TDC (on the compression stroke with the rotor pointing at the #1 spark plug on the cap) the marking on the ballancer is reading about 15 deg. shouldnt it be at 0 on TDC at the #1? I havent put the distributor back in yet, Should move it to Zero on the ballancer before reinstalling it?

Its a funny thing though the more I take apart the more things I find to work on lol. I can see how a small project can turn into a full blown rebuild haha

Thanks
    Generally the timing is advanced 8-12 degrees on the average 5.0 Fox. So if the rotor is point directly at #1 on the cap, then the balancer should read X degrees before TDC depending on your initial timing set. Sounds about right to me. Always double check your timing after the reinstall with a timing light to make sure your initial setting is correct. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Generally the timing is advanced 8-12 degrees on the average 5.0 Fox. So if the rotor is point directly at #1 on the cap, then the balancer should read X degrees before TDC depending on your initial timing set. Sounds about right to me. Always double check your timing after the reinstall with a timing light to make sure your initial setting is correct. Good luck!
    Ok thanks Trey ill leave it as it is.

Wiring. Lots and lots of wiring.

Name:  IMG_20200204_082208400.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  221.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200204_082128032.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  138.3 KB

Adamn - Whew ... wiring always freaks me out - have fun!
    Last edited by StangItMan; 02-04-2020 at 11:17 AM.
    Featured 4 Eye: 84 Tu-Tone 5C/1E - Dedicated project resto-mod for my son Cameron Lee. :tu

4 Eye past:83 GT - project, traded for a boat load of goodies to finish other cars.
    86 Coupe - Gave to a friends son - being restored. 86 GT - Gave to another friends son ... finished.
    Our Current Fords: 66 F100/FE, 84 Coupe/Tu-Tone(5C-1E), 87 Coupe/408 drag car, 89 GT/347, 90 Coupe/347/Supercharger, 94 Ranger, 98 Explorer/5.0, 04 Cobra SVT, and ...

Ford Fun-a-tic / Lithia, Florida

Wiring doesn't bother me, it's just very time consuming and I did not expect this level of hackery on the OEM harness. Hidden under the loom and miles of electrical tape were tons of cut wires and terrible splice jobs. There was some very poor wiring under the hood to eliminate the duraspark ignition, the dash gauges were not working, and the center console display had been replaced with some aftermarket gauges. I started digging in to clean that up and get the factory gauges hooked back up. Quickly realized I would be having to pull the entire harness and rework it.

One of the best (worst) things I came across was actually the first issue I went to fix. Brake lights weren't working. Got under the dash and someone had cut the wire to the brake light switch to wire an aftermarket radio.

FEP Power Member

Finally got the new top installed. It fits better than the last one which was OEM.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KevinK; 02-04-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Adamn View Post
    One of the best (worst) things I came across was actually the first issue I went to fix. Brake lights weren't working. Got under the dash and someone had cut the wire to the brake light switch to wire an aftermarket radio.
    I have realized such surprises ...
    Featured 4 Eye: 84 Tu-Tone 5C/1E - Dedicated project resto-mod for my son Cameron Lee. :tu

4 Eye past:83 GT - project, traded for a boat load of goodies to finish other cars.
    86 Coupe - Gave to a friends son - being restored. 86 GT - Gave to another friends son ... finished.
    Our Current Fords: 66 F100/FE, 84 Coupe/Tu-Tone(5C-1E), 87 Coupe/408 drag car, 89 GT/347, 90 Coupe/347/Supercharger, 94 Ranger, 98 Explorer/5.0, 04 Cobra SVT, and ...

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Finally got the new top installed. It fits better than the last one which was OEM.
    Tan is nice.
    BTW what diameter are your wheels?

FEP Power Member

Wheels are stock 15” by Campagnolo. They also made wheels for Ferrari.
    Last edited by KevinK; 02-04-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Got the broken windshield removed from my 84 Capri RST today. Gonna make the dash, and therefore the interior, much easier to put back in.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Pulled my 4" cowl hood off and going to repair a small spider crack on the top of the hood that has been driving me crazy, then repaint and finish. Then refinish the under side of the hood and paint it black cherry to match the car instead the flat hotrod black. And have it ready for the car shows this summer.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    Got the broken windshield removed from my 84 Capri RST today. Gonna make the dash, and therefore the interior, much easier to put back in.
    Also an excellent time to access The heater core.

Pulled her out of the garage for the first time this year. The weather was really nice yesterday and I worked in the yard a lot so it was later when I decided that winter is over and I wanted to take the car out. My son has been working on his '67 Mustang project car and creating a lot of dust so my car was pretty dirty but I just wanted to get behind the wheel and didn't take the time to wash it first.

I almost forgot how good it feels just drive it. Hearing the idle got me pumped, then rowing gears added to the experience. The throttle response made me feel like king of the world. It's supposed to be nice this weekend so I'll get it cleaned up good since my son is done with most of the really dirty work on his car and won't be spewing all that dust into the air.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Started it up in the trailer and let it come up to operating temp and the cooling fan cycle a few times, then checked for leaks, Okay. Cobra will be next. Haven't done anything to either one since we came back from Sturgis in early Sept.

I did some more tuning on my 85 Gt with my moates qh tuner. I have the cold start and the acceleration sorted out

FEP Senior Member

I installed my Ford Performance Brembo big brake kit. New 13" slotted rotors, Brembo calipers, and Goodridge stainless steel hoses. My Rovos 18" wheels barely clear the calipers on the spokes (maybe 2-3mm clearance). I'll have to keep an eye on it when they heat up.

I later installed a rebuilt Cardone distributor that I bought from RockAuto. Wholesale closeout with a 30-day warranty. Today is day 47 (out of warranty), and it works for 2 minutes until the engine hits 160 degrees (distributor housing hits ~95 degrees F). I put the old one back in, it fires right up. Tried to install the new one again, and same thing. Runs for a minute or two, then stops working. Thankfully it's on jackstands in the garage and not broke down on the side of the road...