Close

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

well I installed the rear ground effect a few weeks ago, installed it the proper way with screws into the 1/4 panel and 3M double side tape. cleaned really good and a few days later it fell off where the tape was holding....S***! so I had to and I really didnt want to do this I had to install 3 little screws into it to hold up in place. why couldnt they mold something into the plastic to screw from behind. I havent done nothing else to it in a few weeks... heat and now bad smog/smoke from the fires but I did get all my cobra brake parts sitting in my cart on line all it takes is a click and on the way. maybe next month....lolName:  thumbnail (24).jpg
Views: 419
Size:  169.5 KB
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Carter 1bbl YFA...............

For right now I need to go to a normal 2bbl non-feedback carb so I can at least drive the 85. No money or time or a garage to do a 5.0 conversion. And also trying to gather parts to put my wreaked 88 back together.

My kingdom for a house with a garage............

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Was able to get the brakes squared away yesterday. Pedal could be a little firmer, but good enough to keep the car from rolling down the driveway.
    Pushed the car outside and left it there overnight. Started cleaning up the garage, long overdue! Since my garage is so small, I end up having to move stuff around all the time. Lately have been having a hard time finding parts, tools, etc.
    I started moving stuff, sweeping and pressure washing the garage. Now I have to wait for stuff to dry.
    Decided today to pull the rest of the wiring back through the firewall. I would like to get the dash back in and everything operational before installing the engine and trans.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    well I installed the rear ground effect a few weeks ago, installed it the proper way with screws into the 1/4 panel and 3M double side tape. cleaned really good and a few days later it fell off where the tape was holding....S***! so I had to and I really didnt want to do this I had to install 3 little screws into it to hold up in place. why couldnt they mold something into the plastic to screw from behind. I havent done nothing else to it in a few weeks... heat and now bad smog/smoke from the fires but I did get all my cobra brake parts sitting in my cart on line all it takes is a click and on the way. maybe next month....lolName:  thumbnail (24).jpg
Views: 419
Size:  169.5 KB
    It sounds like it was a bit of a work but I think it was worth it. That valence REALLY, balances out the bubble hatch I guess is the best way to phrase it. It really helps a LOT! Nice job. Looks great! It just makes the whole back seem more like it all belongs together.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

I had started working on my 84 GT a week or two ago. I needed to put it back together. With the cluster out, I figured I should check the dash lights. I wasn’t sure if I installed LEDs in this car. Sure enough, they were already there. For some reason, they never Dimmed with the switch. Super Brite suggested installing a standard bulb by the trip odometer. Did that and tested only to find half of the dash lights were not working. Still pretty bright. A little fiddling with the socket got them working and it was easy to see what was working as it started to get a little dark outside. Be sure to check the bulbs after the LED upgrade and consider installing 1 old bulb.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Default A 'Never comes out when you want it to'

Noticed last week car exhaust was getting a little louder than usual.
    Crappy junk noise echo off nearby cars and under freeway overpasses.
    Yesterday, was noticeably louder, like a new big exhaust leak, plus no turbo boost pressure.

Upon inspection today found the cause. Missing bolt from exhaust manifold flange.
    This connects the crossover pipe to turbocharger on the carb turbo engines.
    Changes happened quickly when bolt fell out.
    Other bolt was now loose, but tightened up after new bolt was in to secure the flange.
    Wonder how long it took to fall out. And where the bolt is now. On the road somewhere.
    Installed a new flange bolt plus added a nut. Had them both on hand. An easy repair.
    Problem solved 100%. Quiet engine exhaust, normal turbo boost pressure.
    Name:  header bolt missing 3030.JPG
Views: 378
Size:  39.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Upon inspection today found the cause. Missing bolt from exhaust manifold flange.

An easy repair.

Problem solved 100%.
    Isn't it a rush when you are having a problem, you take a look and the reason is apparent right away? Sure beats the might be this or might be that situation that usually occurs. I always hope that I'll see something that's broken so that I at least know for sure what to do to fix it.

And if it turns out to be a quick, easy and inexpensive repair, well that's just icing on the cake.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Absolutely true.
    Main reason why do not have loud mufflers for one. Need to monitor normal car noises and smells for abnormalities.
    Dispite of all the repairs over the years and known issues ongoing, car and truck have been dependable when needed.
    No more driving either of the good old vehicles on bad weather days if possible.

If a problem, think simple and go from there. Stay calm, think clearly (the hard part), act.
    Carry tools and spare parts if DD. Carry several bright work lights, ground pad, hand cleaner and rags.
    Dress for weather conditions (possible walking) and carry snacks year round.
    Use shop manual and search for online info. Keep notes, records, take pics before, during, after. File everything on pc.
    Learned a lot and still am.

-Like the time i ran over a piece of 2x4 on I-75 early 80's. Heard and felt it hit the floor pan.
    Was on my way to making a payment on time at Ford Motor Credit.
    In parking lot ready to leave, car would not start. No click.
    Remembered the 2x4. Opened the door and looked under the car for ???. Sure enough.
    The trans backup wire connectors were separated and hanging down. Reconnected them.
    Car started and was on my way.

-Engine sudden no power. Pulled v/c, repaired engine at a K-Mart. Autozone nearby.
    Found rocker arm laying loose by valve springs (OHC). Collapsed lifter? New lifter, rocker. ok

-The fried alternator harness wire, 80's. Something told me to unwrap alt to reg harness after sudden issues with battery charging.
    The electric choke burnt up. Dealer found that but not the wire damage. And i paid for engine bay wiring diagnostic check.
    Next day car quit running on way to work. WTF. Temp fixed with ele tape. Rewired later.

-The broken end of clutch cable. Adjustment end at clutch fork. On a New Years eve. Vice Grip 'spliced' it.
    Was able to reconnect them. Got me home. Now carry a spare.

-Muffler inlet pipe broke on I-275, 9/22/2011. Heard noise, seen sparks in eve twilight. Pulled off on next exit ramp.
    Muffler was down in front but still hanging in back. Used a nylon cargo strap to temp secure.
    Later, added another hanger to end of mid pipe so it would not happen again.
    No more u-clamps. They eventually ruin pipes. SS band clamps all the way. Worth the extra cost.

-4/17/2016. Sudden pinhole in core freeze plug, rear of 2.3 cyl head.
    Found big coolant leak under car after pee stop. Drove to nearby Walmart. Temp repair in Walmart parking lot.
    Used visor mirror to inspect leak. Screw and epoxy. Made it home 32 miles. Carried water. Not needed. Replaced part.

-The clunks and deaccell/accell yaw of car 2018. RR lower control arm front bushing was shot. Decline over the years.
    Found by laying in driveway next to RR tire, rocking car via tire, and observing rear axle movement.
    A digital inspection camera nailed the hidden bushing damage. Replaced arm. All is well.

-Gas tank hole 7/29/2018. Noticed seeping for months. One day smell was more obvious headed to a family park gathering.
    Once there, noticed PS fuel tank strap broke. Rust out pinhole was under strap. Temp plugged hole with screw and epoxy.
    Per prior core plug repair two years prior. Secured right side of tank with nylon strap (used prior on muffler 2011).

-broken rusty brake line, ps front, sudden 3/19. At hobby store 40 miles away. Noticed leak on ground when brakes went to the floor.
    Made it home, weak brakes to say the least. Carried quart of brake fluid, timed lights, took back roads.

-Broken timing belt 9/16/2019. Tach went weird. Coasted to safe spot. Opened hood. Seen broken belt thru belt cover gap.
    Called local tow co. Sat on lawn chair (carried for cruises) waiting for truck to tow it home. Back on road 2 days later.

-Failed RF outer wheel bearing (finally found out what the humming was) and the missing exhaust bolt 2020. The yearly weird issues.

The Ranger is another similar story, but less repairs overall for it's age. Ignition modules, brakes, engine mount, clutch fans.

That's quite the list of fixes you Macgyver'd up, reminds me of when my throttle cable broke. Took out my shoe laces and tied one end to the carb linkage and fed the other end through the crack in the hood and into the drivers window. Drove home about 50 miles using left hand for gas and right hand for switching gears.

Is jeff Foxworthy on this site?
    Lol!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by 0F0 CBR View Post
    That's quite the list of fixes you Macgyver'd up, reminds me of when my throttle cable broke. Took out my shoe laces and tied one end to the carb linkage and fed the other end through the crack in the hood and into the drivers window. Drove home about 50 miles using left hand for gas and right hand for switching gears.
    LOL damn! that is hilarious and awesome at same time.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Luv it. Like Red Green or survival skill. Resourceful. Excellent.
    The reins of a wild horse (Mustang).
    Did something like that once. Forgot why. Turned up the idle to 1800.
    Advantages of a manual trans. Push starting and emergency rev match shifting with no clutch.

Since I put the wiring back in the car, I figured I would hook up a battery and see what works and what doesn’t.
    Found out that I installed the wiper transmission backwards. The arms went down, one of them was a pain to remove and I cut my thumb trying to remove it. Wood block and pry bar got it off finally. Pulled motor, flipped the bracket 180 degrees and now they work properly.
    so far it seems I have
    marker lights/license plate
    taillights
    brake lights
    reverse lights
    interior light
    key buzzer
    blinkers-all except pass front
    hazards rear only
    wipers

i didn’t get into the dash stuff yet. Looks like I have some work to do lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Enlisted for 1/8 mile on 'American Sunday',
    A day just for US cars at the TT circuit.
    How fast is my bone stock 79 5.0?
    I expect to be handed slowest of the day award.
    Seriously: What is a realistic time for 5.0 automatic with 2.47 axle?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Finally finished assembling the rear drums, rear brake hard lines. Now I get to start filling those empty lines. Also installed rear anti roll bar. Wired the electric fuel pump under the hood to it's relay (of course I have not mounted the pump yet ).
    Got my shorter solid trans mount and have figured a way to make it fit and lose 3/4" height or so.
    Hope all the smoke stays away for a while.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

So, I got my new convertible top installed today! It looks AMAZING! Too dark for pics, but there will be some tomorrow... if anyone is interested in having a 32 year auto top pro install your top frame in southeast PA, please let me know! He’s fast and professional!

Made up some B+ cables and installed a maxi fuse in the trunk. Drilled hole in firewall with grommet to run cable thru. Happy to get that done, installed hvac box too. Next is dash

Ordered set of Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun 225/60 R15 w96 tires and turbines are being powder coated.
    Hope these tires give the needed grip.
    Next week going to do first time 1/8 mile for me.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Took it out for a run to heat the tires up and get them rounded out. Filled the tank and treated the gas. Put it on jack stands and put the winter blanket on. What a waste of a year.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

FEP Power Member

Default Wheels

Attachment 134149Attachment 134150A little wheel refurb on the Turbo GT. Before and after. I picked up another set of wheels at Carlisle for $30. Sent the off to be refinished.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Looks sharp!
    Got my brake system FINALLY sealed up. Got my battery hot routed to the driver's side for the fuel pump, injection, fog lights (that's where I mounted the relays- driver side).
    Tomorrow after I paint the nose of the Bronco's hood with bed liner I hope to get the fuel pump in and run some fuel in and out of the tank to look for sediment before hooking it up. Install exhaust. Cinch down the suspension bolts.
    Holy toledo! I might be able to hear it run soon!

G-Trac 2 point MMS front brace in. Suspension torqued down. Fuel pump installed.
    Tomorrow (or Sunday since the inlaws are coming over) install exhaust and get fuel to engine bay. Install carb and ...

Chased down a bad connection in my ignition system that wouldn't let car start. Found a bad soldering splice. All good now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Placed a towel over the cowl grill to try and keep neighbor's stupid little tree leaves from falling in.
    Cowl inside is nice and clean, painted, and want to keep it that way.
    The leaves also get under the moldings, spoiler, get tracked inside from shoe bottoms.
    Have used a thin bead of black RTV to seal all the window molding edge gaps. Works well.

Almost ran over a hidden hazard the other day: a rolled piece of damaged cyclone fence sticking out of weeds.
    Was backing around a driveway corner to avoid a telephone pole (to the left but not in the picture).
    Heard something scrape the rocker under my door while backing up. Opened the door to look and there it was.
    Was able to push it away sitting sideways on the drivers seat. Lucky it did not get hooked on something under the car.
    No damage. Do not know if i ran it over with rear tire. Prob did or brushed it with rear wheel but no marks. Great.

Name:  rocker fence snag 3030.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  48.9 KB

Took clutch out and shimmed it...hopefully I'll test before season is over
    Stephen Johnson
    SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
    National Record Holder 9.49 @ 139mph
    1985 Mustang daily driver
    10.88mph 125mph N/A 337

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast