Close

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

" I guess the solenoid got stuck while sitting."
    My Ranger does that after sitting a few days. Motorcraft battery 2013 vintage.
    Also sometimes cranks few seconds then clicks.
    Tap on starter, tap on solenoid- no change.
    Get out the jump cables or a jump box. Zoom, no recharging needed.

Next no crank session the other day (clicking), checked battery voltage. 12.4 not great but ok.
    This time, connected only the black ground jumper cable to engine just for kicks.
    Zoom.
    No battery charging occurred or was needed. Restarts return to normal.
    Most times, starts like new and will crank strong over a longer time span if needed.

So the other day went out and purchased a generic 4g 24" ground cable for 5 bucks.
    Neatly routed and connected to battery - and a bolt on a/c compressor mount. Is a good known ground.
    Will know more as time goes on (sound familiar?).
    New battery is on the agenda anyway. Current one will be spare. Using a pos wmart one as core.
    Battery and/or grounds suspect.
    Am going to add more ground cables to the Ranger frame and body. Old vehicles and rust scenario.
    Already added additional ground cables to the Mustang and its been starting/charging fine, no electrical weirdness.

Hard part is determining not only if there is an electrical gremlin or more but where it is. Ranger here has one (or more).
    Sometimes the ign timing goes wacko driving during warm up. Tach gets jumpy.
    Temperature related. Never happens in summer. Prob a sensor.
    Turn the HVAC blower on. Or if on, turn off. Engine smooths out. WTH??? Or multi restarts to allow PCM to find a strategy.
    Once warmed up and past its fits, good for the rest of the day. And after tach dies to zero.
    I know i may be delayed somewhere soon down the road if tach works on cold start. No tach, good to go.
    Never does it when at the dealer or shop of course.

Will follow up with report when corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    oh crap, I thought it was plastic.....
    Only the UPR one is aluminum. The OEM & Repops are plastic that warp or become wavy. I wanted one that didn't warp & stayed straight. My OCD was the reason for this. lol
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Pulled the tranny to install a new Spec Stage 1 clutch, McCleod lightened steel flywheel, fork and ball, throwout and pilot bearing, rear main and pinion seal. Stuck in the house for another week of self-isolation before I can go rent a couple of pullers for the pilot bearing and pinion flange.
    05 Corvette Z51

Yesterday I installed my new taillights, cleaned and greased the bulbs and sockets. Spent some time with the power probe, and my headlight switch is bad.
    I was able to power up the Headlights and dash lights with the power probe, so it’s nice to know that they actually work.
    Wipers are hit or miss, got them to work once with the wiper switch. Washer pump works. I can spin the motor with the power probe, so the motor seems good.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

On Saturday I started working on my MAF conversion. Ran wiring from my fuel pump relay and vehicle speed sensor wiring to ECM location and soldered pins on the ends of the wires. Made my wiring harness to run from the MAF location to the ECM. I still have to run it through the firewall to the ECM location but I saw House of Dula use a grommet inside the fender well that came in right behind the ECM so I think ill go that way. Since I have to pull the inner fender lining out to do that Ill probably do the wire tuck on that side while I'm in there.

FEP Member

Put a new water pump and radiator hoses in it. Based on the amount of **** that was on the radiator end of the old hoses I’m going to snag a dual core aluminum one from fleabay for my SVO since I plan to push that baby hard

FEP Member

Put a new water pump and radiator hoses in it. Based on the amount of **** that was on the radiator end of the old hoses I’m going to snag a dual core aluminum one from fleabay for my SVO since I plan to push that baby hard

Had the car aligned yesterday. Took it for a short drive today to test the new brake setup. Stopping power is epic, now I need to fine tune the rear brake bias.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

FEP Member

Changed the spark plugs and bitched at fedex for losing the filler neck seal. Ordered new wires cause I broke one. Don’t have much left as things stand to buy thankfully, but I do have a lot of parts that need homes in the car now. Bit of a mixed bag cause I need some tools I don’t have but they’re shutting down a lot of stuff here so renting/buying them isn’t an option.

FEP Super Member

Made a deal for an 01 Cobra IRS , from a guy on another site .
    Of course , when it was time to make the deal , they flake out again �� still on the hunt !!!!
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Member

Changed the brake booster out for a reman from Autozone today. The previous one was pretty well shot, only complaint is it took me 3.5 hours to get it out and only half an hour to get the new one in.

Quote Originally Posted by 84lxvert View Post
    Pulled the tranny to install a new Spec Stage 1 clutch, McCleod lightened steel flywheel, fork and ball, throwout and pilot bearing, rear main and pinion seal. Stuck in the house for another week of self-isolation before I can go rent a couple of pullers for the pilot bearing and pinion flange.
    Got everything back in. Used the grease method to remove the pilot bearing and my brother dropped off his puller for the pinion flange. Just waiting for the Redline D4 ATF to show up on Monday to button everything up.

Name:  IMG_6453.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  110.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6454.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  74.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_6472.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  68.2 KB
    05 Corvette Z51

FEP Member

Put my Pro 5.0 shifter in the SVO. Feels much more like a manual should. Incidentally, if anyone wants a hurst short throw I now have an unneeded one sitting around

FEP Senior Member

I put a FatFoxx TFI module relocation kit on my widebody coupe yesterday. I made two videos of doing it, so they will be available on YouTube in the next couple of weeks. The kit is based on a stock wiring harness, and I've modified mine so much that I had to change a couple things to make the kit work on my car. Very clean setup after it was done. Between that and a new distributor, I hope my ignition issues are finally over.