Close

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Got 4.10s in my car and I don't regret it a bit!
    I'm still getting used to mine. Redline comes up pretty fast on my old '82 engine.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

I couldn't image 4.10's. My car with 3.27's hits 6k in 1st nearly instantly when standing on it. 3.35 1st gear.

4.10's seem like they would be way too short.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Two86fiveoh's View Post
    I couldn't image 4.10's. My car with 3.27's hits 6k in 1st nearly instantly when standing on it. 3.35 1st gear.

4.10's seem like they would be way too short.
    They are, unless you plan to pull a 4 bottom plow behind.

Nothing of late. Too hot for this person to lie on the concrete in the sun.
    But.... Bell housing FINALLY arrived so plan to install drivetrain (bell/trans/shaft/starter) by, or on, this weekend.
    Then plumb the rear brakes.
    Then install shock and k brace.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I'm not a drag racer though. For me, it's all about that part throttle, low RPM responsiveness. My dailies are both EcoBoost powered and that's where they're the most fun!

Plus, I got REALLY lucky setting up my gears without much headache with moving shims around. So that axle is never coming apart again. NEVER.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

335 first gear and 410 gearset is useless but I think anyone driving from 0-35 mph in first gear is trying to do something odd so not sure how this is always questioned about first and most burnouts are done in second for tire speed/heat

Unless I'm missing something what is first used for? I think a 410 in a auto car is probably ridiculous and this is not the case with 5 speed my opinion its the best mod and first mod you should should consider again my opinion

You will shift through intersection 2 times possibly 3

I think 430 and 17 inch tire would be near perfect for 3200 rpm at 70 or 2800 rpm at 60mph

The car will move at idle in second gear and chug along nice in third in heavy traffic.

I wouldn't try to hit freeway but I wouldn't avoid it if needed and drive it across state
    Vac secondary carb is key here and 5 speed and just stay out of gas for long road trips

I'm switching to 430 so I'm bias

how else do you make a slow car go fast ?

Started plumbing brake lines
    got the 2 from the booster to the prop valve, and the front pass side done. I need some more fittings but I might tackle the rear line that goes through the interior.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

About to go finish torquing my front end after installing coil overs, tubular control arms, and aero v8 brake swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Modified a 87-93 battery tray to fit in my 84.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty View Post
    I'm still getting used to mine. Redline comes up pretty fast on my old '82 engine.
    I have 4.10's in my capri, love it chirp them tires all the time lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I put 3.73 in my Capri, much better than the 2.73. That said I have still have to think about taking off in 2nd instead of 1st.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cking ac system, it does hold vacuum. Now to figure out how to rewire this mess from po.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

I wouldnt take off in second.. first gear gets 3k lbs moving or in motion thats it
    I had 273 331 and 373 and now 410 and soon 430
    410 made the car on a 3rd gear jab into 4th possible to hang with far faster cars in the 2800-4600rpm 3/4 light to light car not street/strip and not daily driven

373 and 17s is a good combo but ill never do anything less than 410 now knowing how it woke the car/combo up

Near perfect to put the car in its powerband
    5th gear at 50mph its at 1400 rpm

Default Burned palm on hot car paint

Full sun, 87°F, 4pm DST, black car facing S on drive, no shade, windows up. 122° inside

Went outside to roll down the windows of the car to let the heat out.
    Set my left palm on the ps black window sill trim. and reached inside the car for something.

Burned my hand. At first felt something, then thought nah. Got out the IR temp gun.
    IR temp gun read 177°-180° at that spot i touched. Car roof and side facing W was 170°+.
    Got out the ice bottle. Now i know its a minor burn. Ok hour later. Can still feel it a bit.
    Hope it cools down inside. Can cook on the roof.

Want to take it to a certain suburban part of Woodward Ave, sit and compare quantity or cruisers out vs other years.
    Set chair in a shaded spot today. gets hot out there. Party store nearby, plus our picnic coolers help.
    Cancelled, sponsored, WW M-1 Dream Cruise would have been this Sat.
    Unofficial cruise is Sat.
    This time of the month, many cars do pre-cruising every night up to Sat. Many park and watch, hang out.

Installed the bushings in my MM lower arms. Going to be installing 8.8 rear diff this afternoon.
    Attachment 133695
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Full sun, 87°F, 4pm DST, black car facing S on drive, no shade, windows up. 122° inside

Set my left palm on the ps black window sill trim. and reached inside the car for something.

Burned my hand. At first felt something, then thought nah. Got out the IR temp gun.
    IR temp gun read 177°-180° at that spot i touched. Car roof and side facing W was 170°+.
    Got out the ice bottle. Now i know its a minor burn. Ok hour later. Can still feel it a bit.

Want to take it to a certain suburban part of Woodward Ave, sit and compare quantity or cruisers out vs other years.
    Set chair in a shaded spot today. gets hot out there. Party store nearby, plus our picnic coolers help.
    This time of the month, many cars do pre-cruising every night up to Sat. Many park and watch, hang out.
    smells like chicken roasting....lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Got my 8.8 installed. New MM adjustable control arms, MM oem upper control arms, Ford Racing B springs, new isolators. Wish I would of had some before pics to see the difference. Looks much better.
    Attachment 133708
    Attachment 133709
    Attachment 133710
    Attachment 133711
    Attachment 133711
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 08-13-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post

I'm so sick of the heat here. I think I need to move farther north to get away from it.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Ok, not exactly today, but recent.

On the way to Carlisle, the car seemed to me as if it was running too hot. Just tooling around town, the temp gauge would be between the O and the R in the "NORMAL" range. Climbing the mountains (yes the Alleghenies really are mountains, just ask a horse!) it would creep up to the far side of the A. Granted, it was a fairly hot drive, mid to upper 80's after 9pm, and a fair load of stuff on board. Didn't pay much attention to oil pressure. What really bothered me was that the temp wouldn't fall back very far on the downhill side. Just went to mid M or so. Tooling around Carlisle, morning, no problem, afternoon, mid M.

On the way home, pretty much the same behavior except I noticed that the oil pressure, that usually sits at the A in normal was dropping to N. This, I think is a concern. On the downhill, the temp would drop and the oil pressure would go back up, as the viscosity would increase. I run Valvoline 10W-30W full synthetic.

Had to replace the temp sender a few years ago but I've never really trusted it, so, I put in a mechanical temp gauge. Bosch #FST 8217 bought at Advance Auto.

It screwed perfectly under the rh side of the valence with a valence screw and an available hole in the dash hull.

After a short drive to warm it up on a warm day-Name:  TEMP_GAUGE_1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  81.6 KB

Here is the mechanical - sorry about the focus, but the needle is indicating ~180°

Name:  TEMP_GAUGE_2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  49.5 KB

Here is the tap in the system, just past the thermostat:

Name:  TEMP_GAUGE_3.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  90.0 KB

Might have to get a remote IR temp gauge to calibrate the mechanical. I may not see the high temps until next year to see where it tops out. The oil looks perfect at the moment as well.
    Last edited by WilliamCapri; 08-14-2020 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added pics
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Got my 8.8 installed. New MM adjustable control arms, MM oem upper control arms, Ford Racing B springs, new isolators. Wish I would of had some before pics to see the difference. Looks much better.
    Looks really clean. That rearend was pretty rust from what I recall. Did you just wire brush it? Are those officially licensed Motorcraft Nitrile gloves?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Looks really clean. That rearend was pretty rust from what I recall. Did you just wire brush it? Are those officially licensed Motorcraft Nitrile gloves?
    Thanks, yes I used a wire brush and a angle grinder with a wire wheel on it. Concerning the gloves....sure? Lol Son got them when he worked for a ford dealer ship. Pretty good gloves lol
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 08-14-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Changed break- in oil to conventional, forgot washer in rear. Have drip from rear now. Will change oil again this weekend if possible. How stupid to forget.

Have the same Adv Bosch 8217 in the Ranger, with Autometer 3321 oil pressure and 2337 vac gauge to make a custom trio.
    Mech gauge tells way more of whats going on in real time.
    Working great. 270° sweep and number font easy to read.
    The Ranger's gauges don't fluctuate nearly as much as the Mustang's.
    Mustangs gauge reading float is the IVR i guess. Seen temp cycle from N to R and back in a few miles.
    The fuel gauge and oil pressure also do this at the same time.
    Fuel varies up down 1/8 tank, oil press left of center low to right of center high.

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Installed the bushings in my MM lower arms. Going to be installing 8.8 rear diff this afternoon.
    Attachment 133695
    Those are some really nice arms!
    and nice job on the bushing install!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by fredzilla View Post
    After owning my Capri for 34 years. I cleaned and washed it for the last time. Just sold it. 
    That is quite something Fred.
    Hope you got some good memories to look back on.
    Hans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast