Close

Default Is a mini-spool worth my time?

I've been reading up on them. I really didn't know anything about them until recently. I was going through a pile of parts and found a brand new one. I also happen to have a 31-spline open diff in the junk pile. I'm thinking about putting it in my pace car (331 stroker, carbed (N/A), T5). If I ever get the car running right, it will see some occasional track use (1/8 mile) and a cruise-in here and there.

Is a mini-spool more trouble than it's worth? I'm not worried about driveability. It's barely even a weekend car. I'm just wondering if the mini spool is strong enough for what I need without coming apart and trashing a good set of gears/ bearings/ axles.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I ran a stock car (street stock/sportsman) for 8 years. I ran a mini spoll with 6.50 gears the whole time and never had an issue. The downside of the mini spool is weight, a full spool is much lighter. Saying this, the idea of running any spool on the street gives me the shakes. The car will quit turning an just want to drive straight. Turning into the garage was a hassle. My opinion, don't do it!

I don't have any personal experience with a mini spool or even the full spool, but some buddy's have used them over the years. I personally never liked them, but then again I am a road race, corner carver kind of guy. All of the issues with them on the street are mentioned above.

I will say that if you are willing to spend the $$ and want a nice differential that doesn't require the maintenance, friction modifier, etc. the Eaton Detroit Trutrac is an awesome differential. All gear, no clutches so nothing to wear out. Not as sophisticated as a Torsen differential, but I think a really good set up for a street car that sees some track use. I actually just installed one in my F250 PSD 4x4 to replace the crappy OEM limited slip differential and I LOVE it in the truck. Difference between night and day. No noise, no issues, and the unit will actually put the power down to both wheels. Totally transformed the truck in slippery conditions, no more rear end slipping or sliding around. Anyway just a thought, Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

spools of any kind are vicious in a street car tire size. The drag, chop and noise are not worth it. another thing is you'll quickly find out whether your chassis is exactly straight or not as, if it isn't, the car will crab all over the place. You can get away with one in a truck size tire because the sidewall absorbs much of the bouncing and skittering but, in a car sized tire, it's brutal.

Thanks for the info on the spool. Since I had one, I was entertaining using it on the car, but I'll just post it up for sale if I ever get time. For curiosity sake, do you guys think it's strong enough for, say, a 400-500 hp fox on slicks? I have a full spool I was planning on putting in the drag coupe (86 with a warm 408 stroker and c4). I'm assuming the full spool is stronger, but is the mini spool capable for that power level?

Trey.... thanks for the info on the Trutrac. Seems reasonably priced, too. How hard was it to set up? Same as the stock traclock?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

A mini spool will last at 4-500 on an 8.8, as you've taken some of the stuff that will blow out of the equation: the stock clutch pack and the spider gears.

The mini spool itself isn't the weak link. The stock carrier and pin are where you'll have issues if there are any. A slick with a forgiving sidewall will probably last longer than you think. Hard hitting/hooking drag radials and a on/off clutch is where you might have issues after repeated use. I've used spools on the street before with slicks and soft sidewall DOT tires and didn't mind it. For a limited use car like yours, I'd say run it. But my definition of drivability differs from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Trey.... thanks for the info on the Trutrac. Seems reasonably priced, too. How hard was it to set up? Same as the stock traclock?
    No different or more difficult than stock. Slight adjustment for backlash and everything was good to go!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

From my experience with my Comet running 6.00s and full spool on the street, I found that over inflating the rears helped.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.