Close

Default Dome light will not shut off

My 1984 1/2 20th Anniversary Mustang's dome light won't shut off.

Replaced the dimmer & door switches. I pull the fuse - lights go off. I am looking what to check on next. Would the hood being open have anything to do with it?

Also on another electrical issue I am facing is the hatch release (yellow button). It only works if I ground the hatch with alligator clips to the seat frame. I cleaned the connection on the drivers side (on hatch) and tested with a light that the hatch is grounded when opened. This started when I put a new hatch bushing on the car so the hatch closes tight. I made this out of fuel hose and electrical tape, not the plastic that was on there and crack. Oddly enough if I remove this the hatch release only when it is closed because it is grounding to the car. What am I missing if the hatch ground is good. I did have to make sure I had good bulbs in the hatch to complete continuity for the circuit but the courtesy lamps on the hatch still don't work...

Im kinda not following on the courtesy lamps on the hatch? On my 86, I only have the dome light. I have only seen aero cars with the courtesy lamp in the hatch area and that has been on the tail light panel. On my 86, there is a plunger switch on the latch that illuminates the dome light when the hatch is open. I assume your 84 would be similar but I am not sure? I would see if you have a plunger back around your hatch latch and see if it is grounding out on something and illuminating your dome light. Good luck to you.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Forget the hatch, found the problem with that - it was my license plate light not courtesy lights. All switches have been replaced but dome is still on, passenger side kick panel has some wiring issues it appears with the green blue/black wire...

I would recheck your switches with a meter to make sure they are working properly. Never know, one could be stuck open internally.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

At last - the power of old fashioned wire tracing! With the help of a friend we found that a mouse had chewed the green and blue/black wire in the A post of the car on the passenger side. I had to drill out the metal bracket for the t-top brace, pull the wires and harness up the a post, cut, add some wire and solder everything back together. Fixed!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by michaeloberg1980; 01-01-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeloberg1980 View Post
    At last - the power of old fashioned wire tracing! With the help of a friend we found that a mouse had chewed the green and blue/black wire in the A post of the car on the passenger side. I had to drill out the metal bracket for the t-top brace, but the wires and harness up the a post, cut, add some wire and solder everything back together. Fixed!
    Did you find that mouse and make an example of it?

Sure wish I could have found it :/