Close

Thread: Horn question

Default Horn question

Since I have owned my Saleen the horn has always sounded wimpy. Almost like only the high horn is working. Always bothered me but never looked into it. Yesterday I changed the oil and while I was changing the oil filter I noticed there was only one horn mounted on the drivers side. I have parted out 3 aero fox bodies and they all had both horns together on the drivers side. SN95’s also have both horns on the drivers side. My car has been wrecked so who knows what was done. Do the four eyes have a horn on each side or should they be together? I didn’t look on the passenger side while I had the car up in the air so that is why I am asking. I pulled the horns from my sn95 parts car today. Was thinking about making a change to make the horn louder on the Saleen.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

FEP Power Member

I have not looked at my 84s. My 88, 89 and 92 had 2 horns mounted up front on the drivers side. I would expect the same for 79-86. From what I have seen 74 had only 1 horn. I did see an option for 74 to have an extra loud horn for NYC. 75-78 had 2 horns as well.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

My daughters 1983 Capri had one horn mounted vertically on the drivers side apron, near the radiator. It sounded very muffled, but that car was a bone stock 52,000 example. My 82 has two horns and the wife's 91 has 2 horns. Must a been a mid production change.

Kenny

If you want a LOUD horn, check out the Denali Soundbomb sold by Twisted Throttle for about $50 bucks. It's marketed for motorcycles, but it is REALLY loud! I've put one on my '85 Mustang and my 2001 Accord. I run it in combination with the factory horns, but with a relay directly to the starter solenoid. I trigger it off the positive wire for the factory horns. I was tired of oncoming distracted drivers drifting into my lane and wanted something with some reach to wake these idiots up far enough down the road.

The package comes with the horn, 1 relay, a bolt, and a nut. The horn itself is basically a mini air compressor with (2) horns with slightly different tones. It's loud, but doesn't sound quite as obnoxious as a dual tone Italian style air horn like what you'd find on an old Fiat.

I also did some research on the design and it seems that Denali made design improvements over the Stebel Nautilus to make theirs more reliable. I've had mine on the cars for about two years and they work great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqgM8Z5RI38

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/dena...-tone-air-horn
    Last edited by 854vragtop; 12-30-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 854vragtop View Post
    If you want a LOUD horn, check out the Denali Soundbomb sold by Twisted Throttle for about $50 bucks. It's marketed for motorcycles, but it is REALLY loud! I've put one on my '85 Mustang and my 2001 Accord. I run it in combination with the factory horns, but with a relay directly to the starter solenoid. I trigger it off the positive wire for the factory horns. I was tired of oncoming distracted drivers drifting into my lane and wanted something with some reach to wake these idiots up far enough down the road.

The package comes with the horn, 1 relay, a bolt, and a nut. The horn itself is basically a mini air compressor with (2) horns with slightly different tones. It's loud, but doesn't sound quite as obnoxious as a dual tone Italian style air horn like what you'd find on an old Fiat.

I also did some research on the design and it seems that Denali made design improvements over the Stebel Nautilus to make theirs more reliable. I've had mine on the cars for about two years and they work great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqgM8Z5RI38

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/dena...-tone-air-horn
    Good to know about the horn. Unfortunately my son likes to honk the horn at the most inappropriate times so I am not going to go that route with this car. I fear he will scare the crap out of people with it. I just want the horn to sound "normal". It sounds to me the high tone horn is the only one working or maybe that is all this car came with?
    Last edited by Tigger; 12-30-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

FEP Senior Member

my 85 had two horns, one horn on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by bob85gt View Post
    my 85 had two horns, one horn on each side.

Thank you, I will take a look.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I added a 2nd horn to my 79. Nice and loud dual note.
    Had several HF air horn kits on the Ranger. Loud, but junk quality.
    Old stock horns from the 12v 60's-70's boat cars were loud, especially the luxury cars.
    Even the VW beep beep roadrunner horns were not bad. Anything to catch attention.

Seriously thinking of adding a loud third horn at the rear of the car.

People across the isle back out after you already started to, and don't stop or even look.
    Cars are low, they are high up.
    Worse now with the tints and reliance totally on back up cams, day or night. They cant see and just go for it.
    Been nailed once like that. Been more close calls in recent years than ever before.
    Now have to pull thru 2 spots to face the next isle, or hog two spots diagonally in order to see better.

A friend installs really load horns in his cars, activated by a separate switch. Calls them "Driver Training Devices."

Mike