Close

Thread: Hot hard start

Default Hot hard start

My 82 gt seems to hate starting after its been warmed up. It can sit for a week and crank right up cold no issue but if I drive it 10 minutes stop and try and start it up after a short time it just cranks almost to point I kill battery. I know foxbody have issues with starters getting hot but it does sound like its turning over right. I assume maybe its a carb issue. It has an 4 barrel on it. Anyone got any idea what it could be?

FEP Senior Member

Two possibilities, vapor lock, if using alcohol blend gas, and second, ignition module getting heat soaked and dying. You need to check for spark when it won't start. Just get yourself a spark tester, pull the coil wire from the center of the distributor cap and plug the tester into the coil wire lead and ground the tester to a metal part. Then crank it over. If you have spark, then it's a fuel issue.

I use regular 93. Ok I have a spark tester that sounds simple enough. Thanks for the help

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mine did that and I installed a spacer under the carb and it fixed it. I think the spacer is plastic. mine would boil the gas out of the carb when it sit for a few mins after it got hot.