Close

Default 1983 Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel needs rewrapped... where do you get leather?

I am making further progress on my 1983 Capri RS on Christmas Break and need to redo the factory 4 spoke leather wrapped wheel. I was taught how to sew as a boy and still can manage my way around a thread and needle (or a sewing machine if I have to) but I have no idea where to get the material to tackle such a job. Has anyone seen a supplier for this? It’s a little bit unique because the material also wraps down around the spokes about a half inch as well.

Many thanks and merry Christmas

These guys can make a custom leather wrap for you, but they don't currently offer one for the OEM 4 spoke. They will custom make one if you are willing and able to send them your steering wheel.

https://www.redlinegoods.com/Mustang7986shiftboot.php

Here's another option that can do the work also. http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you so much Trey, you are a depth of knowledge. Have you, or anyone ever recovered their steering wheel? Or paid someone else? If so how much did you spend?

Call Dung at Dallas Steering Wheel to have your wheel redone.

Not necessarily cheap however their work is PERFECT!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Just watched this the other day. He makes it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sStxk4mv_DY
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    Thank you so much Trey, you are a depth of knowledge. Have you, or anyone ever recovered their steering wheel? Or paid someone else? If so how much did you spend?
    I have not done one in years nor paid to have one done recently. The last one I had done was around $300 all in. That was an SVO steering wheel without the center horn pad. I would say you can easily spend $300-$400 for the average steering wheel today. That cost is going to depend on what exactly do they do for the recovering. A quality job is going to strip the wheel down to the base shell, then most likely wrap the wheel with padding (how thick depends on preference and model) then sew a quality leather cover and finally glue and stitch that cover over the wheel. As with any type of upholstery work, the finesse work, and details make all the difference. A steering wheel that has been stitched together with a perfectly straight and matching pattern will always impress more than one that is uneven and off in regards to the pattern. Everything is labor intensive and takes a true craftsman to get it right the first time without issue.

Can you do one yourself, sure as long as you have the skills, time, and patience to do the work. I am sure you can stitch up a cover from Redline on your steering wheel and be very happy with it. There are plenty of videos out there that show the process. I may very well do the same on my 82 GT and my 82 RS once I get to that point with those vehicles. Although I will admit that if I have the budget to pay to have it completely done by Dallas or another I may very well just pay the cost so I don't have to deal with it. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Just watched this the other day. He makes it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sStxk4mv_DY
    He does do a nice job, I do wonder how the glued down sections at the spoke will hold up long term.

If you want to see a true craftsman at work, check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaSm3zoWrAo this is not a steering wheel, but I believe he has a video on that too. I love to watch any of his work. The skills and techniques are awesome. Would love to have him do so many interior projects of mine as I am sure the results would be amazing.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member

I had two different places quote redoing my factory 3-spoke wheel and both were $300-$400. Redline wanted to work with me, but required sending my wheel to Poland to make the template for the factory 3-spoke since they didn't have one made yet. The other was in Texas, but is not Dallas Wheel. I would bet $300+ is the going rate currently.