Close

Default 1984 side skirts

Can anyone tell me what side skirts will interchange to a 1984 vert?

I believe with the proper support brackets (which you can get from Fox Resto or LMR), any. I remember many years ago looking at a 20th Anniversary convertible that had a full set of 87-90 side skirts on it. It looked good, but "not right" on the cleaner lines of the 1984.

The only OEM side skirts are the 87-90 and 91-93 GT aero package. The issues with either set up on a Four Eye is the GT includes the moldings so you would have to swap everything over to the Aero setup including front and rear bumpers for the moldings to match. Not something that is acceptable on FEP. Besides honestly if you like the Aero look go buy an Aero car IMHO.

The Saleen style side skirts and the Wings West 93 Cobra style side skirts as well as Xenon and some others will fit the 84 model. Actually between the wheels there are no differences from 79-93. The front of the fenders are unique to the 84-86 SVO and the 91-93 cars use a different fender with a shorter front molding and a larger opening due to the 16" wheel option.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Due to the front fender differences, the side skirts are slightly different starting in 1991. That's the reason why Cervini's has their Cobra style side skirts in two different sizes.

Is it possible to use 91-93 fenders on an 85 and make it look right with the molding matching up?
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Sure it is. You would need to trim your front molding to work (it would be too long for the later fenders). I also believe under the molding, on the late fenders, there is a decent sized hole, you might want to panel bond or weld a patch over the hole so the earlier molding does not sink in that area.

Now if you have air dam extensions, you would have to rework them to make them fit correctly (GT/Pace Car).

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by rlyons13 View Post
    Due to the front fender differences, the side skirts are slightly different starting in 1991. That's the reason why Cervini's has their Cobra style side skirts in two different sizes.
    The sides skirts are the same even after 1991. The difference is the front fender extensions. They are shorter for the 91-93 cars due to the larger front wheel opening. If you look at the side skirts alone even on Cervini's side they are the same for 87-93 Cobra style and 87-93 Saleen style. The distance is the same for all 79-93 Mustangs and Capris.

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Is it possible to use 91-93 fenders on an 85 and make it look right with the molding matching up?
    You can use the 91-93 fenders, but you will have to shorten the 85/86 bolt on front molding. Not a huge deal, all you need to do is cut or grind off the leading straight edge of the molding where it mates up to the front bumper cover. The back of the molding can be left alone. You may have to enlarge or drill new holes for the mounting studs, but not a big deal either way. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I think we're talking past each other. A 1993 Cobra side skirt will fit a 79-93 Mustang, as it has the rear wheel spat integral to the skirt, but not the front spat. So, the 1993 front wheel spat will only fit a 1991-Up fender. An 87-90 and 91-93 GT side skirt has the front fender spat integral, so as the front fenders have a different wheel well size between 87-90 and 91-93, the GT side skirt and front fender have to match. And, unfortunately, Cervini used the GT setup instead of the Cobra design for their Cobra replica, which is why they have the two part numbers, as it needs to be matched to the proper front fender.

I have a 93 Cobra running a Griggs 93 front K-member and 94 control arms. To get proper tire clearance I needed to finally use my vintage set of carbon fiber Tiger Racing offset fenders. Then I needed to 3D print some customer wheel spats to match up everything. Should look like 123 Apex's car (I think those are the guys that bought Tiger Racing's designs), just better.

*** Additional Info *** Sorry, you are right. After I posted the blurb about the Tiger Racing fenders, I realized I was confusing my two issues. The back part of the front fender is the same. My bad.
    Last edited by rlyons13; 12-25-2019 at 11:53 AM.