Close

Default GT40 Manifold on my 85'

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give a update on what my next project is going to be and to see if anyone has suggestions or advice that might help me out.

A quick overview of what I have now.
    -Stock 85' bottom end that has the top end and all components of a 86' to convert it to fuel injection.
    -I found that it was a little lacking in the power area and noticed that the vacuum hoses are really old and cracked so thats item #1 (replacing the vacuum hoses with a silicone hose kit I ordered last week)

-I also found that I had a small oil leak when i bought the car and it appears to be coming from the back of the intake manifold so I decided if Im going to replace the gasket why not upgrade the manifold. so on the hunt I went and after lots of searching I found a 96' explorer upper and lower intake tapped for the ACT bead blasted and in really nice shape.

-The person I bought the manifold from sold me a set of EV6 19lb injectors out of a explorer also. Im told they are a good upgrade and plug and play.

-A while back I was trying to find out if I had a roller block or not seeing as it was a late 85' model, but for the life of me I wasn't able to find the info on the block so while the manifold is off Ill find out for sure if it is a roller capable block or not. If it is I might consider doing a cam upgrade at the same time but not 100% sure if I should seeing as I am still running the speed density setup. If I did I would probably only go with maybe a E-303 just for a little bit of a lumpy idle.

-The last thing I was planning to do while I was in there was just to replace the valve cover gaskets. I was thinking of going with the rubber ones. Does anyone prefer the cork over the rubber ones?
    Name:  IMG_20190904_195143.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  290.2 KB

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions that might make life easier ect.

Thanks Ill post pics as I move along with the build

I like the steel core rubber valve cover gaskets because they stay in place without any sealant. I think the Fel-Pro p/n is 1684.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

B302 is the only SD friendly cam Ford made and that was many moons ago.

You can get near identical lift and duration using a stock HO cam and 1.7:1 rockers.

If you want to move the torque band up and make more horsepower retard the cam around 4 degrees. If more low end is a priority (I can’t imagine) advance it 4.

If you are bent on an E303, convert it to MAF. But I would contact Flow Tech Inc (FTI) and go over your combo instead of buying off the shelf old grinds

The swap to MAF is easy to do, doesn’t take very much time if you know what you’re doing. Hardest part is early 86’s don’t follow the published wiring colors.

A9L or A9P are the best 19 lb/hr ECUs. The big limiting factor is they are designed to work with a 58 MM MAF which strangles most engines. If you overcome that, frequently 19 lb injectors are too small for the output .....

X3Z is a 93 Cobra MAF ECU and is calibrated for 24 lb/hr injectors and a 70MM Cobra style MAF

Explorer intakes are long runner. They are a torque oriented intake. With their plenum volume they are all done by 5800 RPM. This style of intake will strangle anyone head that flows more than 180 cfm intake side. The lower is where the restriction is, Tom moss details fixing it

If you want more than 5800 ..... you need at minimum a different upper.

the factory rev limiter is 6250 ..... you want a Cobra style upper or a GT40 tubular upper or an aftermarket setup like the Typhoon EFI.

these days megasquirt PNP may be better overall than a 30+ year old ECU. The SD setups make more horsepower and megasquirt handles many cams just fine.

On my 86, I went Typhoon with a 65MM throttle body converted from an Explorer, a Motorsports 65MM EGR spacer, and a 70MM MAF. My tires old motor has a B302 in it from back in the day and is retarded.

E6 heads and headers, still it pulls past 6100 and hits the rev limiter quite fast.

0-60 comes in the 4 second range entirely in 1st gear. 2.95 T5Z and 2.73 rear gears allow this to happen. Hell on clutches but fun! If I ran slicks I might be able to hang the hoops even, it launches pretty hard.

good luck!
    Last edited by erratic50; 12-21-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks for the info guys,

I have been on the fence about if I should convert to a MAF setup or not. I know there are benefits to the MAF for sure but those darn A9Ls are expensive. And they are pretty limiting as erratic50 said. I like the idea of the Megga squirt or even the micro squirt. They cost nearly the same as a MAF conversion but have tons of potential down the road if I decided to go with a different setup like bigger injectors or even a boosted setup.

Anyone have experience with the Micro Squirt? I have heard lots of people talk about the mega squirt and the only thing that some people have said they don't like is that it is a bank fire setup. Does that really matter?

Thanks

If you want to run a stock type EFI setup and don't want to build your own management system then I would recommend this.

https://www.stinger-performance.com/...ine-management

Not the cheapest option out there, but NEW and with all the benefits of modern technology and tuning.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller