Close

Default EFI fuel system questions

Been doing some research on EFI fuel systems and thought I would throw out a few questions.

Does anyone know or experimented with using an aftermarket EFI system such as Fitech on a stock 86 EFI return fuel system ?

Also anyone know if the stock in-tank fuel pumps are compatible with the pulse modulation (PWM) drivers on the fitech etc ?

I know the stock fuel pumps are not rated for super high HP flows but one would expect that they should certainly keep up with milder builds etc. In my mind excessive flow from a large pump on a return system is probably not very desirable either so the ability to slow the pump seems like a very good feature.

It looks like Ford changed the systems in the later 90's cars to incorporate a fuel pump driver (assume a PWM type system) so I was thinking a stock pump from one of those cars would definitely be compatible if running a system with PWM etc.

I've purchased a Holley Terminator X efi for my car, but I'm converting a carb'd car, so I've got a little more work ahead of me than you do. May I ask why you would want to switch from the oem computer?

I have a 1980 cobra that is a carbed car currently and mainly wanted to upgrade to the bigger 15.4 gallon EFI tank which I understand is do-able with a bit of work.

My thoughts were to get the EFI tank in case I wanted to go to a Fitech system (or equivalent) later to replace the carb. Just preliminary research right now and was curious if people have used the stock fuel systems etc.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    I have a 1980 cobra that is a carbed car currently and mainly wanted to upgrade to the bigger 15.4 gallon EFI tank which I understand is do-able with a bit of work.

My thoughts were to get the EFI tank in case I wanted to go to a Fitech system (or equivalent) later to replace the carb. Just preliminary research right now and was curious if people have used the stock fuel systems etc.
    Ah, I thought you had an 86 already. The efi tank will work just fine with a modern efi conversion. The FiTech has instructions on its web page that details the fuel system requirements or they sell a fuel command center that gets its fuel supply from the mechanical pump, and acts as a secondary efi tank with high pressure pump and regulator built in.

Yeah i considered the fuel command system but not sure if i have a good space to mount it and it still needs a return line to the tank. If I am upgrading the tank then it seems a no brainer to switch to an in-tank return system if i even go that route etc. Also mixed reviews on the fuel command center from what I read.

In my mind ideally the stock pump (assuming sized appropriately for the engine etc) could also handle the PWM from the EFI system to help cut back on the fuel circulation when not needed. If not the PWM feature could be disabled from what I understand.

If you run the efi tank which is the best route imo, I'd run a pump hanger with AN fittings for the feed and return and just regulate it to whatever pressure the system requires.