Close

Default 84 lx vert speakers

Getting car prepped for daughter as first car. I bought a stock looking modern stereo to swap. Can anyone tell me what are door and dash speaker sizes? Has factory amp if that affects anything. Thanks for the info.

FEP Power Member

Only the later cars from 84 had door speakers stock. Otherwise it’s dash speakers and rear quarter panels. Factory amp will likely not be used.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Super Member

The dash speakers are 3.5 inch, and the rear side panels take a 5 1/4 round speaker....

I have an 84 LX vert.

I used JBL GTO 329 3.5 speakers in the dash. They are officially discontinued but you can still find them on ebay. They pack alot of punch for tiny speakers, and they come with a filter to block out frequencies that would damage it. mine have been in the car, run hard for about 5 years. That's after blowing 3 other sets of lesser speakers over a 2 year period.

I have JBL GTO 629 in the rear panels.

I also modified my vert if you are bold to try. I cut holes in the front door panels for 5.25 JBL GTO529. I did cut the holes bigger and replaced them with GTO629's but that's not advisable because they simply wont fit and you'll have a visual nightmare that I have in my otherwise pristine interior.

I also removed the stock amp which Im sure you're not using if you have an aftermarket retro stereo. I custom cut a plate out of Plexiglas and inserted a pair of JBL GTO19T 3/4 inch tweeters. They fill in dead space in the dash and open up the sound fantastically.

I also have an Alpine 400 watt power brick sitting behind the console and a newly installed JBL Basspro SL 8 inch subwoofer under the passenger seat.

So my point is that even though space is limited in your 84 vert, you can be creative and create an awesome stereo system. Im very happy with mine.

All I need to do is the get a pair of speaker mounts for the door panel to make my 6.5 inch speakers sit better. But if you keet the door speakers at 5.25 you'll have no problem.

EDIT:
    I can tell you from experience if you try to patch the stock amp into the new stereo, assuming it still works, it wont work well. I had engine whine that could not be fixed until we cut the stock amp out and wen tot an Alpine power brick.
    Last edited by fgross2006; 08-31-2020 at 09:30 AM.

FEP Power Member

My 84 vert had an aftermarket DIN stereo when I got it. Speakers in the front door area and something in the rear interior quarters, and the usual front dash speakers. I’m not really sure if the rear quarter speakers were factory with factory/amp radio.

They were all pretty much shot radio and speakers. Dash speakers were easy as I had some Pioneers on hand. I bought a set of JBL 6.5”? to replace the existing non-factory door speakers. Unfortunately, they were too deep and hit the window regulator. I moved on to the rear quarters and found 6.5” or so speakers there. The interior panel was cut for the sound path and a metal bracket held the speaker in place. I could not tell for sure if it was factory due to the quality and the replacement speaker. I put my 6.5” speakers in the quarters. Now I just need to patch the door panels.

Looking back, with the 4 channel stereo from the factory, the dash and quarter speakers had to be factory.

FEP Power Member

My 84 vert had an aftermarket DIN stereo when I got it. Speakers in the front door area and something in the rear interior quarters, and the usual front dash speakers. I’m not really sure if the rear quarter speakers were factory with factory/amp radio.

They were all pretty much shot radio and speakers. Dash speakers were easy as I had some Pioneers on hand. I bought a set of JBL 6.5”? to replace the existing non-factory door speakers. Unfortunately, they were too deep and hit the window regulator. I moved on to the rear quarters and found 6.5” or so speakers there. The interior panel was cut for the sound path and a metal bracket held the speaker in place. I could not tell for sure if it was factory due to the quality and the replacement speaker. I put my 6.5” speakers in the quarters. Now I just need to patch the door panels.

Looking back, with the 4 channel stereo from the factory, the dash and quarter speakers had to be factory.

Could reinstall the door speaker grills (after sealing the backsides from air intrusion from the door) until other solution is found.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Could reinstall the door speaker grills (after sealing the backsides from air intrusion from the door) until other solution is found.
    Yes. The aftermarket speaker grill are a bit beat up. On another note, I finally met up with the previous owner Bryan Garret who gave me a ton of spare parts. One of the parts was a new set of door panel carpets so I could fix it right.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I have an 84 LX vert.

I used JBL GTO 329 3.5 speakers in the dash. They are officially discontinued but you can still find them on ebay. They pack alot of punch for tiny speakers, and they come with a filter to block out frequencies that would damage it. mine have been in the car, run hard for about 5 years. That's after blowing 3 other sets of lesser speakers over a 2 year period.

I have JBL GTO 629 in the rear panels.

I also modified my vert if you are bold to try. I cut holes in the front door panels for 5.25 JBL GTO529. I did cut the holes bigger and replaced them with GTO629's but that's not advisable because they simply wont fit and you'll have a visual nightmare that I have in my otherwise pristine interior.

I also removed the stock amp which Im sure you're not using if you have an aftermarket retro stereo. I custom cut a plate out of Plexiglas and inserted a pair of JBL GTO19T 3/4 inch tweeters. They fill in dead space in the dash and open up the sound fantastically.

I also have an Alpine 400 watt power brick sitting behind the console and a newly installed JBL Basspro SL 8 inch subwoofer under the passenger seat.

So my point is that even though space is limited in your 84 vert, you can be creative and create an awesome stereo system. Im very happy with mine.

All I need to do is the get a pair of speaker mounts for the door panel to make my 6.5 inch speakers sit better. But if you keet the door speakers at 5.25 you'll have no problem.

EDIT:
    I can tell you from experience if you try to patch the stock amp into the new stereo, assuming it still works, it wont work well. I had engine whine that could not be fixed until we cut the stock amp out and wen tot an Alpine power brick.
    Any chance you have pics of this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by FORANGO View Post
    Any chance you have pics of this setup?
    I'll look through my phone and hard drives for any pics when I set this up.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I'll look through my phone and hard drives for any pics when I set this up.
    I found a pic of the JBL tweeters I installed where the stock Amp would be.

Name:  custom tweeter plate.jpeg
Views: 41
Size:  199.8 KB