Close

Default Premium Sound amp working?

Hi,

I have an 85.5 SVO with factory Premium Sound I bought last year.

The radio doesn't get very loud. I mean, at 70MPH with the windows down, I can barely hear it on full volume with serious front bas on the fader.

Is the amp toasted or is that the norm? Even at an anemic 20W RMS, it should do better, right?
    Former owner (new) of a 1985 Coupe, 1986 Coupe #23 and as of 2016, owner of a Flip Roof 1985 Coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG View Post
    Hi,

I have an 85.5 SVO with factory Premium Sound I bought last year.

The radio doesn't get very loud. I mean, at 70MPH with the windows down, I can barely hear it on full volume with serious front bas on the fader.

Is the amp toasted or is that the norm? Even at an anemic 20W RMS, it should do better, right?
    Is there a knob just above the right knee under the dash that you can pull down? In my 84 I totally discovered it by accident. Its not much of a boost but it was OK with stock stereo. It made aftermarket stereo hum so I had it pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    Is there a knob just above the right knee under the dash that you can pull down? In my 84 I totally discovered it by accident. Its not much of a boost but it was OK with stock stereo. It made aftermarket stereo hum so I had it pulled.
    The SVO's didn't have the pull switch, it was a rocker switch on the console where the clock display is on non SVO's.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    The SVO's didn't have the pull switch, it was a rocker switch on the console where the clock display is on non SVO's.
    Nope, the rockers are Fuel and Fogs.

The amp is allegedly always on in this configuration. No early Fox pull down switch.
    Former owner (new) of a 1985 Coupe, 1986 Coupe #23 and as of 2016, owner of a Flip Roof 1985 Coupe.

Idk 70mph windows rolled down is loud in that car, lol…….There are places on the internet to send in classic automotive stereo stuff for diagnosing, repair and restoration.

Here is a link to a recent post here about radio issues. The poster said he had a guy in Texas that restored his amp. Maybe you can send it to him and see if it's working?

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Premium-Sound
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

The loudest volume level is with fader centered so all speakers are on full. It is what it is.
    Dunno if running ft only helps power wise as if all the amp power is moved forward.
    20w now a TV set can have that much. Funny my yellow Sony sport boombox is 5w but can be loud.
    The 20w rating is more like all 4, 5w each or only amping the back two speakers, 10 each.
    I have a factory radio amped with an aftermarket amp about 50w rms x 4.
    Could always hear the radio, but never could turn a good song up enough.
    Replaced ft dash with JBL figured good as any for mid bass up. JBL says tune systems for mid bass.
    Added 4 more larger in the rear, total 6 identical, for bass. Factory Ford premium Mach, sealed backs.
    System works good now. Plenty of power sitting on driveway or driving slower.
    Does use battery engine off like the dome light or something.
    At 70, music quality is pretty good. Most all of the content is there. All the other noises compete for our ears.
    At 70, mostly listen to AM WWJ for traffic and weather monitoring, adjusting volume levels as needed.
    Talk is easier to hear being simpler than music.
    Some days mood and radio station playlists make FM the choice.
    With 80's stock radios and amps, they will never drown out passenger talk or distract drivers, prob the intent.
    At 1/2 volume or up, bass slope curve starts to drop by design i guess amped or not.
    Up until the late 90's factory radios needed booster amps or even a new aftermarket unit.
    Downside is not so much the cost but all the work required to move to the higher performance level.
    Cost is very flexible, but required wiring is not. Bundles of it.
    80-90's ford radios sound and operate nicely if amped more than factory and connected to good speakers.
    Speakers are old after 20 years and each need to be reevaluated or replaced if worn out.

Kinda trying to avoid taking the dash apart and pull the radio out the back before I know it's broken. Seems silly to tear everything apart only to find it's operating within specs. Again, the first step is determining if this low volume situation is common in other Premium Sound systems. If it is, question answered. If not, I'll tear into it.

Newer high efficiency speakers will make a world of difference. Pay attention to DB at 1W at 1M

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Newer high efficiency speakers will make a world of difference. Pay attention to DB at 1W at 1M

My thoughts ran the same way. Marginal improvement.

Replaced all with JBLs last year. Fronts are plenty loud, but rear 6x8s are weak.