Close

Default My latest powerlifting meet

I've been lifting weights for 43 years and have enjoyed competing in power lifting meets all that time. Yesterday I completed my 50th meet. I was quite pleased with the results as I had a plan mapped out for what numbers I wanted in each lift and I was able to hit all those numbers. Gotta love it when a plan works!

I am presently 68 years old and competed in the 132 lb weight class where I was able to set two 100% RAW world records, in the deadlift and total. The meets are actually conducted in kilos but I've converted the weights to lbs as that's what most of us are more familiar with.

All the squats went well and I might have left just a little on the table as the third attempt went easier than expected, but I got what I had in my plan, so no complaints. Here's my third squat with 192.5 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgF4VW9LfQg

The bench is by far my worst lift these days, and that's the case with most of us older lifters as it just seems to be the one that age hits the hardest. My third attempt was with 132 lbs, bodyweight, when there was a time when I could bench double bodyweight. But that time was 30 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6c5v-01Bw4

The deadlift has always been my best and favorite lift. It was the one lift I came into the contest wanting the most. I concentrated my training on it as I wanted to get the record. I needed to pull 313.5 lbs and had done 300 lbs in training so I thought that with the contest adrenaline rush I'd have a shot at it. My second attempt with 291.5 was a bit harder than expected but I decided to go after the 313.5 anyways instead of choosing something less. It was hard, but it went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNZm7h9W_Mc

Some guys get the iron bug and it sticks with them. There were 47 lifters in the meet and 8 of us were 60 or older, in fact 4 were 70 or older. I fully believe that my own excellent health at my age is a direct result of all my years lifting.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Supporter

Congrats on the achievements!
    '85 GT

Great achievement!

Congratulations!!!!!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

Congrats Mike!

Very cool!!!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks guys. My first meet was in 1978 and since then PL has been such a big part of my life I can't imagine not doing it anymore. When I can no longer lift I'll be ready for that long dirt nap.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Well done! I’m 54 and started lifting again almost 3 years ago. I don’t know if I’ll ever compete. I agree with you about strength training helping to maintain good health into old age and hope to lift as long as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Excellent; at 53 I'm typically struggling after a few days turning wrenches in the barn. Your story is very inspiring thank you for sharing and congratulations on your accomplishments.

That's awesome. I've been lifting for just over 9 years now. I am 52 now and should have got into it a long time ago.

Back in 2013-2014 I was powerlifting, following 531. My max lifts were 375 DL, 275 BB bench and a measly 255 squat. Then I blew out my back doing something stupid and that was it.

I never got back to lifting heavy and the last 2 years have been way more off than on. Trying to remedy that now.

So, hats off to your for doing your thing for so long. Hopefully you'll be at it for a long time to come.

Congrats and very inspiring! I’ll be 53 yo and am in the gym 6 days a week. Definitely not a power lifter though lol