Close

Default how many coyote swaps have people done?

I am thinking a coyote swap might be in the future.
    anyone done it?
    any suggestions on web sites that document well
    I have looked at a few and have some ideas but haven't found anything that seems really detailed.

i have never done one in a foxbody. but im currently doing one in a 1974 f100. its a lot of work but im looking to make it a daily driver with good mpg and Air conditioning. power by the hour is the go to for coyote swaps. talk to Christian papa.

[attach]130612
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not sure why engine pic is loading wrong way. Sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A few who were members here swapped their cars then ultimately put them up for sale because the fun factor was absolutely gone.

Whipple can make things more interesting.

It’s great that we have the freedom to do what we want, so best of luck on your possible project. I never really understood the appeal to this swap ... seems like a really expensive and time-consuming way to get 400 HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

I have to aggree. Although the 3.937 Mod Romeo is a lovely sounding, smooth and vibrant engine, it is as space ineficient as any quad cam. For the feature of ohc you say nyet to 66 extra cubic inches with a tiny 8.206 inch deck engine in a 4.375 inch bore spacing iron 347.

https://youtu.be/B7JmoDeb8XI

See

https://youtu.be/xxXxKOTD_w8

An iron block with a zero unbalance steel crank can make well over 400 hp. 532 or 566 with supreme ease. It can be OBDii'd for emissions and still run a stock production block. The technology exists...we can rebuild it.

I have a 79 swapped coupe which I need to update my build thread. If you are starting from scratch and don't have a drive train it can be a lot cheaper to use a coyote. my motor was $1200 trans $1300 which is the cost of a decent 347-408 short block. But it's only cheaper if you use a F150 coyote and a basic trans. Obviously you can go crazy with a new Crate motor and a T56 magnum etc and that really blows the budget. The swap can be done for under $10k but it takes a lot of time and hunting for parts. Again that's if you go the cheaper route with a truck motor and go all manual, brakes, steering etc.

If you are on Facebook there are a few good pages, you just need to do a lot of searching and reading on the pages. Corral.net has some good threads as well.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Stuff like this gives pause to the idea for sure
    https://www.jegs.com/photos/jegskaase.html

As James knows I am a huge fan of Kasse and his work. He previously had the P-38 cylinder heads for the SBF, but they have been absent from his website for about a year now. I guess the article above indicates why. I am sure the heads will be spectacular as all of his stuff is IMHO. I would love to grab a pair for a couple of my SBF projects in the future.

With that said, I think the big issue so many anti-Mod motor people are missing is the basic everyday driver aspect of a Coyote/Mod Motor swap. The big advantage for many again IMHO is the OEM daily driver quality that the complete engine gives with the 400+HP advantage. Can you build a more powerful SBF for similar money yes probably so, but how does it run and drive in everyday situations. Does it fire up on the first turn of the key, does it idle with no issues, does it overheat in traffic, what kind of MPG does it get? For the weekend cruiser and the occasional show car none if any of those questions may matter. For those of us who prefer to use our cars more often and in more boring daily driver type duties then all the questions posed above suddenly do matter. Again I am not saying you can't build a 400+HP SBF that doesn't do all the things a Coyote can do and maybe more, but it does take more thought, part selection, and engineering for lack of a better term. Yes it has all the nostalgia of old and all the benefits of today and its a heck of lot of fun to drive.

The Coyote swap for many is a simpler option to get to that 400+HP level without some of the headaches and sacrifices you may encounter with a SBF. Yes there are issues and headaches to be dealt with due to the shear size of the engine, the lack of a PS pump in many cases, the different bellhousing pattern, the electronics, etc. Luckily most of those issues have been dealt with by many aftermarket companies, so if your bank account can handle the pain, you can order most everything you need online and it becomes a more of simple bolt part A to part B and connect electrical plug Y to Z and hit the key!

I admit that in all my years of building cars and Foxes, the engines and my power levels have been pretty average overall. I tend to spend more time and money on the paint/bodywork, the interior, and wheels/suspension then being an all motor kind of car. I have never had more than probably 375/400 HP in any of my foxes, but I also have only had 2.3 Turbos, 302/331, and 351W combos in any of my Foxes. I have for years considered a 429/460 swap, but it hasn't happened yet (although the block and rotating assembly are sitting in the corner of the garage). With that said, I have never truly experienced my own superbly built SBF that will rev to the moon and back without blowing up. I know others that have had those engines and have had the opportunity to take them for a spin. They are awesome and truly get your blood flowing. I can say that I have had more experience with the 4.6 and 5.4 DOHC engines over the years and I admit I LOVE them. You can keep the 4.6/5.4 2V/3V setups give me the 4 Valve engines. I love the smoothness, the power delivery, and even the exhaust note (with the the right mufflers that is! ) I have only driven one actual Coyote, but the feelings were the same with everything just intensified due to the additional HP/TQ. Maybe my love for the engines comes from riding Kawasaki Super bikes for so many years and that inline 4 smoothness and sound, who knows. The power and acceleration of my ZX-11 and my ZX-14 and even my ZX9R was mind altering!

Bottom line Coyote swap or well built SBF are both awesome combos to install in any Fox and will do any Fox justice. The choice is up to the owner and what their ultimate goals are and how they want to get there. I will have at least one Mod Fox with my 82 GT/5.4DOHC setup. I am debating on putting a Coyote into my 79 PC since the 302 I swapped into it ate the thrust bearing, so that may happen in the future. Although not a Fox, my 69 Mach 1 may still get a Coyote or even a Voodo motor at some point you just never know.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 12-21-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Stuff like this gives pause to the idea for sure
    https://www.jegs.com/photos/jegskaase.html
    Those don't appear available from jegs...that article is from the early 2000's...like 2003. Kaase shows them for $2500 a pair! For $2500 if you shop right, you can get a Coyote and engine controller. As has been said, if you have the skills and wallet, it is not a hard swap. You can also invest less money in a Windsor and make similar power, cheaper, but still very reliable and street friendly. It's super easy to build a 408W stroker, very docile with 450 hp.

Where the higher HP Windsors get you is transmission. The T5 won't last, so you're still going to be looking for a TKO or T56. Or automatic.

E
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

If that article is much older than most likely those were the P-38 heads that Jon used to offer. Bad ass set of heads for a SBF. Unfortunately it appears they may have been discontinued as I have not seen them on his website for some time now.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The big advantage for many again IMHO is the OEM daily driver quality that the complete engine gives with the 400+HP advantage. Can you build a more powerful SBF for similar money yes probably so, but how does it run and drive in everyday situations. Does it fire up on the first turn of the key, does it idle with no issues, does it overheat in traffic, what kind of MPG does it get? For the weekend cruiser and the occasional show car none if any of those questions may matter. For those of us who prefer to use our cars more often and in more boring daily driver type duties then all the questions posed above suddenly do matter. Again I am not saying you can't build a 400+HP SBF that doesn't do all the things a Coyote can do and maybe more, but it does take more thought, part selection, and engineering for lack of a better term. Yes it has all the nostalgia of old and all the benefits of today and its a heck of lot of fun to drive.

Bottom line Coyote swap or well built SBF are both awesome combos to install in any Fox and will do any Fox justice. The choice is up to the owner and what their ultimate goals are and how they want to get there. I will have at least one Mod Fox with my 82 GT/5.4DOHC setup. I am debating on putting a Coyote into my 79 PC since the 302 I swapped into it ate the thrust bearing, so that may happen in the future. Although not a Fox, my 69 Mach 1 may still get a Coyote or even a Voodo motor at some point you just never know.
    Totally agree! I like my cars but to enjoy them with the family they have to be practical to let my wife drive. I have a 250hp (ish) 2.3 Turbo in my Capri, I machined it and built it as a Sr in high school in 1996... I’m attached to it but the newer motors are way nicer to drive.

I have and have had high hp iron block fords. I’m just trying something different reliable hp, mpg, and A/C for every day driving

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    I have a 79 swapped coupe which I need to update my build thread. If you are starting from scratch and don't have a drive train it can be a lot cheaper to use a coyote. my motor was $1200 trans $1300 which is the cost of a decent 347-408 short block. But it's only cheaper if you use a F150 coyote and a basic trans. Obviously you can go crazy with a new Crate motor and a T56 magnum etc and that really blows the budget. The swap can be done for under $10k but it takes a lot of time and hunting for parts. Again that's if you go the cheaper route with a truck motor and go all manual, brakes, steering etc.

If you are on Facebook there are a few good pages, you just need to do a lot of searching and reading on the pages. Corral.net has some good threads as well.
    Pics please! And where did you get a motor for just $1200? Car-part.com? I was browsing the New England region today and found a few F-150 motors for around $2600 with about 30k miles.

Also what'd you do for the wiring? The FFRP Control Pack is $$$

Be careful with F150 motors. Sounds great because it’s cheaper. But you have to spend money to make it work. The front cover and accessories are different. And I can’t remember why but certain combos and control packs won’t work with the F150 coyote. Do your homework before you buy a F150 motor. It will work but might not work the way you wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Pics please! And where did you get a motor for just $1200? Car-part.com? I was browsing the New England region today and found a few F-150 motors for around $2600 with about 30k miles. A friend is a tech at a Ford dealer and it was a dealer take out for a tick. All the first gens seem to have a "tick" but it's not bad at this time.

Yes first gen control pack for 11-14 coyote motors.

Quote Originally Posted by badnightrain View Post
    Be careful with F150 motors. Sounds great because it’s cheaper. But you have to spend money to make it work. The front cover and accessories are different. And I can’t remember why but certain combos and control packs won’t work with the F150 coyote. Do your homework before you buy a F150 motor. It will work but might not work the way you wanted it.
    I used my F150 front cover, but you have to do some grinding to make a Boss alternator kit line up correctly. It took all of 15 minutes. You will have to use the F150 oil filter elbow the mustang adapter won't work with the F150 cover and Boss alternator. If i do the swap again I'll just switch to a mustang timing cover. They're only $100 or less now. To use a 2nd GEN FRPP control pack on 15-17 F150 motor you need to change the whole timing components to a mustang timing components. 1st Gen FRPP control pack is fine with the 11-14 F150 and Mustang motors. As for the 18-19 motors I have no clue what's what. Holley just came out with their updated EFI system but is in the $2200-$2500 range, but can do a ton of extras that FRPP CP can't without a tuner. As mentioned still do a lot of research on whatever platform you decide to use.

I'll try to update my build thread with some newer pictures.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Pics please! And where did you get a motor for just $1200? Car-part.com? I was browsing the New England region today and found a few F-150 motors for around $2600 with about 30k miles.

A friend is a tech that got me a dealer takeout motor.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    I used my F150 front cover, but you have to do some grinding to make a Boss alternator kit line up correctly. It took all of 15 minutes. You will have to use the F150 oil filter elbow the mustang adapter won't work with the F150 cover and Boss alternator. If i do the swap again I'll just switch to a mustang timing cover. They're only $100 or less now. To use a 2nd GEN FRPP control pack on 15-17 F150 motor you need to change the whole timing components to a mustang timing components. 1st Gen FRPP control pack is fine with the 11-14 F150 and Mustang motors. As for the 18-19 motors I have no clue what's what. Holley just came out with their updated EFI system but is in the $2200-$2500 range, but can do a ton of extras that FRPP CP can't without a tuner. As mentioned still do a lot of research on whatever platform you decide to use.

I'll try to update my build thread with some newer pictures.
    Looks good to me:
    https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...over-br3z6019g

As for the Holley, I'd love that but it's so damn pricey. You're right about the simplicity of tuning though.

I found the link to the StangNet Built To Cruise project, needless to say this is a pretty extreme build where everything was purchased brand new so I wouldn't take their budget as serious. However, it's good to have a list as to what they did:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1_duN6kciGwylVJd-kgrTNg37ItFJhOZIRV_ydn5iODQ/edit?usp=sharing

There are a lot of different routes to take. Just know where you want to be. The easiest route I found was buying a complete package from a wrecked mustang. Motor, trans, wire harness, ecu. Then get control pack from power by the hour. They make it very simple.