Close

Default How to store carbed car for 12 months?

I may need to store my 84 GT 5.0 for about 12 months, untouched. I'm trying to decide if this is feasible, or if I would save a lot of headache later by having someone at least start and run it every month, or so. There have been times when I've let the car sit for about 2 months and other than a weak battery, it was OK. Below are my thoughts/questions.

1) Battery - put Battery Tender on it to maintain charge. Is this ok for 12 months? Leave it connected to the car's electrical system, or disconnect?

2) Tires - put the car on jack stands to avoid flat-spotting the tires.

3) Interior- T-tops on and windows up, put a few fresh desiccant bags in plastic buckets in the interior. I don't have a mouse problem, but may still put in some traps in the storage area near the car.

4) Brakes - not sure what to do here. I've heard that if the brakes sit unused for too long, they freeze up.

5) A/C - last year I replaced all line seals and put in new R-12. The compressor is original, untouched. Are the seals likely to leak due to no use?

6) Gas tank - this is where I'm starting to worry. Should I try to drain it completely? How should I do that? Or can I just run it down close to empty and put in a few bottles of Stabil? What about remaining fuel in the tank supply and return lines?

7) Carburetor - I'm also worried about this. I rebuilt it a few years ago and it runs fine. I only drive the car a few hundred miles a year. Should I remove the carb and drain it? What about any remaining gasoline inside that may evaporate and leave residue?

Thanks for any comments.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

double-post
    Last edited by graphicdesigner80; 12-09-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Hey Erik -

All great points on your list.

Here's a few things I'd recommend:

#1 - Battery - I'd disconnect and leave on a tender outside the car. If you still have a conventional battery, it'll still put out gas while being maintained. Less chance of corrosion under the hood that way.

#4 - Brakes - Make sure your fluid is clean. Flush out the system if you need to. On all our old cars we've converted to DOT 5 fluid and have never had issues with storage since. Something worth considering for a future upgrade. For now, fresh DOT 3 should be fine for a year.

#5 - A/C - I wouldn't worry about loosing freon. If everything is tight and ok with use, it should be fine for 12 months. I always double-check the service port caps and make sure they have their rubber O-rings and are snug. That's where most of them usually leak when they sit.

#6 - Gas tank - It's best to fill the tank up full (with non-ethanol if available) and add a stabilizer like Sta-Bil. When left half-full or even empty, they have a tendency to sweat inside above the fuel level, and cause all sorts of corrosion (especially in high-humidity climates).

#7 - Carburetor - Carbs are hit & miss. Some gaskets have a tendancy to dry out and shrink when fuel is drained. Then they swell and leak once fuel is added back. Sta-Bil makes a fogger spray that's supposed to help for long-term storage. Might be worth checking out.

My 2 cents. Good luck!
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Kent, good feedback. I like the idea of filling up with non-ethanol gas. Will see what I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
    Kent, good feedback. I like the idea of filling up with non-ethanol gas. Will see what I can find.

I've had a lot of issues with Edelbrocks (Carters) getting the bowls eaten up by ethanol fuel, even with marine Stabil.
    I'd drain the carb for sure.

https://luxjo.supermotors.net/70%20E...-06-08_693.jpg
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

I experienced the same coating delamination on street avenger carb

You only need to crack the fuel bowel screw loose to drain carb
    You will need something to catch fuel something like a spray paint plastic cap works vs pulling carb off

My car has an electric fuel pump, when I store it I shut off the pump and let it run itself out of fuel.

I air the tires up to about 40lbs and have the tank full of ethanol free gas.
    I take the battery out and walk away.

Car has been stored for up to 5 years at a time with no issues.

FEP Power Member

Do not use a battery tender while the battery is in the cars. I had one blow up.

Fuel stabilizer and fill the tank to reduce moisture

Fresh oil if it’s not new.

Air up the tires.

Lastly, a good wax job goes pretty far to protect the paint even with a cover on it.

My cars sit more than they get used. Rarely have problems.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Don’t forget about antifreeze.

Fresh 50/50 mix does a nice job of preventing corrosion

Definitely stabil, no ethanol, and get the fuel out of the carb ...... or get the damn thing entirely empty and hope for the best

Battery our — agree

put it on jack stands and let the suspension drop but not all the way

... with the garbage that currently comes out of gas station pumps, always, always, ALWAYS drain the fuel out of the carburetor for storage for any amount of time.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

X2, I've seen non-ethanol fuel that was as bad or worse than conventional fuel. I've seen 5 gallon cans of non-ethanol have nearly 3 quarts of water in it and fresh non ethanol that machinery wouldn't even start or run on (name brand fuel).

Either drain the fuel system completely, or store it with race gas/AV gas. Personally, I've never had any storage issues with Ethanol based fuels in anything I own. I do add 2-stroke mix to the fuel and run the equipment for awhile before storage though.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Just for the record I’ve had very good success using StarTron fuel additive when storing both ethanol and non-ethanol. Nothing against Stabil I used to use it previously.