Close

Default 79 Cobra Fort Worth TX

Thank you for the information on these forums. Decided to join to locate parts for my Mustangs and help with my mods. Located in the DFW area.

Welcome to FEP! Please post up some pictures of you Cobra no matter the current state as we are a visually excited group here and love to see every Four Eyed vehicle we can.

Let us know if there are any parts and pieces we can help you locate to help repair/modify your Cobra. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 12-08-2019 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Welcome!!! And what Trey said ^^^^

Default 79 Cobra Build

Name:  595210986_8cf2b05caf.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  136.7 KBWell she needs lots of work. Its been parked since 94 and I finally got it in my garage to start rebuilding. I need a quarter panel, both doors, & the hatch. everything else is just little stuff though.Name:  IMG_1423.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  85.3 KBName:  IMG_E1060.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  126.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

So what are the long term plans with your Cobra? I am guessing at one point it might have been set up as a drag car? Are your plans for it a purpose built drag car, road race, autocross? You screen name would suggest autocross or road race, although if running a 429 it will be a plowing vehicle that melts the rear tires.

I don't see major rust or damage to the quarters or doors, but I assume that is why you need to replace them. If the quarter panel that needs work isn't too bad, I would seriously consider patching if possible. A full quarter is a PITA and patching can be much easier and cheaper in the long run again depending on how bad things really are. Luckily Texas isn't a bad place to be in regards to finding decent sheet metal for the Fox Mustangs. I know I have some doors down at my old shop near Austin, but I am not sure when I will be down there in the near future. I definitely have a spare hatch here in Colorado, but again getting back to Texas is the issue at this time.

Feel free to send me a PM and maybe I can help you out or put you in touch with some buddies down in TX that might have some parts and pieces you need. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the help Trey. The 429 is what i have in my older (71 mustang). The 302 is fine for me. I'm just building this to take on touring trips. The rust on the doors is all the way across the bottom of both doors where the drain holes are and where the outer door skin seam. I thought with the amount of time to rebuild them, i might be able to fine some clean ones. The hatch might be salvageable but has the same type of damage. the right quarter is rotten on the wheel lip. i was thinking about patching it but totally understand your suggestion. i could probably do the patch and see how well it turns out before going the full quarter route.

Ok, cool! Love a 429 and have one, but just haven't been able to convince myself to stuff it into one of my Foxes due to the weight.

Doors looked good from the pictures, but I understand the rust issue. Generally I agree that replacing a door is much easier and cheaper than trying to repair that type of rust. I know I have a matching pair of doors at the shop in TX, they are 1979 models IIRC with the lower door handle so they would be perfect for your Cobra if you want to keep the lower handle location. I have at least 2 rear hatches here in Colorado, but I don't think either are the 79 model. You can swap on a later model hatch, but the striker on the body is completely different and will require some modifications to work properly. Nothing major, but keep that in mind if you still have the original 79 hatch with the small bent wire striker rather than the round torx head striker. One member here swapped the latch mechanism from the 79 into a later hatch, but that also required some metal surgery if memory serves.

I believe I may have one full quarter panel left down at the shop in TX from an Aero car that could be used for patching the wheel lip as I believe its a driver side and not a passenger side. I would have to get my buddy to double check which side, after awhile all the parts and pieces seem to run together.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller