Close

Thread: EFI Gas Tank

Default EFI Gas Tank

I installed a EFI tank in my 81 Ghia coupe it had the early small tank I was able to rework the straps and get it to fit.
    I read many threads about denting the tank and using late model EFI straps but I did not have to do either.
    I had to use longer bolts and spacers to get the straps to reach.

Name:  Tank1.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  56.1 KB
    Name:  Tank244.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  61.1 KB
    Last edited by Lubner; 12-07-2019 at 05:46 AM.
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

Beautiful. Love the way you under coated it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Looks great good to know
    I wondered what the difference was
    Driver rear jack stand looks like it's leaning in your pic.. be careful

Those jack stands looked maxed out

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Looks great good to know
    I wondered what the difference was
    Driver rear jack stand looks like it's leaning in your pic.. be careful

Those jack stands looked maxed out
    They do look to be leaning in the pic but there not.
    I was thinking it looked weird went I posted pic. Thanks
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

What was used to paint the tank bottom or is that the plastic tank protector?
    Looks great.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-08-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    What was used to paint the tank bottom or is that the plastic tank protector?
    Looks great.
    It is a plastic tank cover from a newer model 99-04.
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

FEP Member

Nice job.
    I'm wondering if I can get an EFI tank in my '78 Fairmont wagon.

I was curious exactly what year/model of EFI tank you purchased ?

You said you had the older model smaller tank...assuming with the T end type straps ?

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    I was curious exactly what year/model of EFI tank you purchased ?

You said you had the older model smaller tank...assuming with the T end type straps ?
    Its a 86-93 tank and yes I used the original t end straps.
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

FEP Senior Member

I did the same with mine. Looks good.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Yeah I would certainly like to upgrade to the 15 gallon tank on my 80 cobra.

It does look it fits pretty good and those tanks are reasonably priced for the most part. Anyone know if there was a difference in the spare tire wells between the notch and hatchback that would make it a better or worse fit etc ?

Also, were you guys able to re-use your old sender with the new tank or did you have to get an 81+ version thats 10 ohm and 73 ohm etc ?

Thanks in advance

The first pressing changes were the notchback deck lid reprofile, with a greater bulge or haunch over its width, peaked up, that was 1980. 79 notch trunks are therefore unique.

Then there was the option of 220/55 R390's in 1980 for S car XR7s and Tbirds, so Ford planned to roll out some changes to accommodate those on smaller Foxes. Probably wheel well space for other tire choices were being looked at with the wide body IMSA and narrow body Daytona with wider wheels.

That bigger tire option never happened on the RS Capri or GT Mustang until the 1983 model year and the 4bbl, and the rear wiper option before then had to be removed again so a spare tire could fit in the hatchback wheel well with the cover over it. An important detail that had Ford doing three things.

1. a 1981-rear window wiper option in hatches. To accommodate those, Ford did two other things in 1981.

2. They made changes the rear floor plan wheel well kicks for the fuel tank, and the bigger TRX tire size option from the Sterling built S shells (XR7s and Tbirds).

3. This then allowed an increased the tank capacity as an option.

Of note, there were other changes for 81 and 82 as well.

There was the 1981 change to a T4 compliant cross member and gearshift metal surround (only on 3.3 liter six in lines, and for one year only) , so AOD's, T5's, and SROD's could have the same mounting system.

For 82, there were cabin room floor plan changes gain head room for state troopers in SSP'S; all Capris and Mustangs got that as the cars were only build in one plant as San Jose was closed. Those were easy changes to make before the June retool at Dearborn.

Ok unfortunately it seems I may need to get a tank under there and see whats all in the way. A bit of a gamble perhaps but might be worth the effort to gain an extra few gallons even if it needs a few mods. The small tank is a bit annoying etc.

My luck I will be one of those guys that needs to "massage" the tank to get it to fit right though.

I can deal with the strap issue easy enough but most concerned about how the fuel sender and possible future electric pump will sit. It looks like the sender on the new tank is in the very top by the vent tube fitting (as opposed to the bottom) so will have to get a new one of those that will work with the 10 and 73 ohm guage etc.

Curious to know what sender people have used on this conversion ?

Currently the car is a carb with no return line but if I'm going to do this it would be nice to have the in-tank pump option open for future.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    The rear wiper option before then had to be removed again so a spare tire could fit in the hatchback wheel well with the cover over it. An important detail that had Ford doing three things.

1. a 1981-rear window wiper option in hatches. To accommodate those, Ford did two other things in 1981.
    Not trying to be rude, but I am confused by your comments in regards to this. The rear wiper option was definitely available 1979-1982 with no interruption that I am aware of. So I don't understand what affect the spare tire well and the gas tank had on the option.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yeah, thats right.

IIRC, the wiper option was withdrawn in 1983, according to my Consumer Guide, when the 220 section tire was added.

Often, people tried to fit the old puncture on top of the floor. A 220 section tire won't easily fit in the hatch with the optional wiper motor, which has a bigger plastic cover. Get a puncture with four people on-board, and you have to fit it in the wheel well.

Well, wouldn't on mine with 220's anyway. The same with the notch. The 80 onward Notch trunk-lid was raised to help fit a big section tire on top of the floor, not in the floor well.

I used a 86 sending unit.
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

Ok thanks for the info. Learning as I go a bit. Been doing some research and it looks like there are a couple different later model tanks. These are my observations so far.

F12A without the hole for the in tank fuel pump. The 81-84 style sender for this one which includes the fuel line appears to sit on the very top and angles down into the tank. I assume this was for the years that never used the in tank pump. F12B has the hole for the fuel pump and the sender hole on the very top is still used, but the 86 style sender appears to sit straight in and has no fuel line. And I guess you wouldn’t need if your using the in tank pump etc.

So it would appear that I could use either A or B tank. They look identical size wise except for the additional pump hole on the F12B. If carb then would need the 84 style sender and seal the pump hole. If converting to in tank pump later then might have to use the 86 style sender as it looks like the 84 sender might interfere where the pump drops in due to the angle.

So I’m a bit confused from the pics on your 81? It looks like the fuel lines are run to the top where the sender resides (return line ?) but your using an 86 sender ?

After all that, and still assuming the larger tank will fit, I’m thinking I could get a F12B tank with an 84 sender and plug the hole where the pump goes till later. If I add an in tank pump later might need to switch to 86 style sender.

Anyone have experience with these particular combos ? Am I on the right track here with my logic ?

Thanks

All 79-86 Mustang/Capri sending units are the 73 ohms empty and 10 ohms full style no matter if carburetor or EFI.

There are at least 6 different sending units for the 79-86 cars. I believe the 79 is unique, but I am not 100% about that. There is the 80/81 unit, the 82-84 unit, the 83-86 EFI, SVO, CFI unit, the 84-85 5.0 sending unit, 81-84 V8 no return line sending unit, and 86 5.0 LX/GT SEFI sending unit.

There are the 79-81 fuel tank, the 82-86 NON EFI fuel tank single hole and vent, and the 83-86 EFI fuel tank with two holes and the vent.

The sending unit for the 83-86 cars is mounted in the middle hole of the tank. The fuel pick up lines are mounted in the hole near the filler neck hole on top of the tall section of the tank. If you are considering going EFI at some point, I would buy the two hole tank use the 86 5.0 SEFI sending unit and then use either your original V8 carburetor fuel pick up in the standard opening and swap to the EFI pump hanger/pick up when needed. You can always just remove the sending unit section on the pick up to assure it doesn't cause an issue with the 86 sending unit. I think I got everything covered correctly, but there might still be a mistake in there. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Massaging the spare tire well isn't very difficult. Don't worry that you're not going to be able to make an EFI tank fit.