Close

Default GM HEI ignition. It works!

Been a year and a half since I did it, but I wanted to give it time to see if it was reliable and workable. I did the GM HEI module conversion on my ignition system on the Capri using a 4 pin module and Ford Duraspark distributor. Wiring was very simple as per the various diagrams found online. I was using an MSD ignition system and I was constantly fighting hard starting and predetonation issues- even on premium fuel. It was also a mass of wiring and I had to use one of the tach adapters to get everything working. The first tach adapter box caught fire too, which sorta killed my faith in MSD products' reliability. The GM HEI module needs no tach adapter and replacements in the event of a failure are cheap and widely available. I also bought a heat sink and module bracket for the HEI module and cut them so I could mount the module off to the side of the TFI coil bracket. The module gets super hot, so air flow and a heat sink are a mandatory for long life. I bought corresponding wiring harness connectors for the Ford harnesses so I could do a fairly clean install. Not only does the engine start significantly easier, but I can run more base timing without pinging- even on ethanol free 90 octane fuel instead of 93 premium.
    If you're tired of going through Duraspark boxes and/or you want a higher energy ignition system on your Duraspark vehicle, this is a super simple system to install with plenty of good info out there. Not sure if others have done it, but I can recommend it!
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Yes I did the same conversion on my duraspark system. It does work and supposedly an upgrade from the stock ignition from what I understand. Lots of information online regarding this if you search.

I used a 5 pin GM module which provides a 5 deg retard function when you ground the 5th pin. I wired this to the 12V starter circuit with a relay to give a slight timing retard while cranking. I think you can also get a 5 pin module that retards with a 12V signal directly which would be easier to wire.

Got the idea online but I actually took an old duraspark box and removed all the epoxy and electronics (a bit of messy work with a die grinder) and mounted the GM module to the inside of the housing for the heatsink and reused the stock connectors so it looks pretty much like a normal Ford module.

I have not put any miles on the car since the conversion though so we will see how it holds up but I like the way the cars starts and runs now

Bulletproof and budget-friendly for sure ... been running my setup for years now with the V6 and now with the 302.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/