Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another 4 door build

Well I thought after reading everyone’s post I can post a little of my own **** box that I’m working on.

It’s a 82 Fairmont Futura

Bought it with original 6 did the swap to a 302 roller and we’ll have been messing with it since. It is a daily driver (when it’s running) and well now I’m here dropping my mechanical experiences over to you folks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soo staring with updates.

Car was daily before I went to Vegas then I come back and go to head to work and one backfire and no bueno.. wouldn’t idle, smelt like my dominator from my nova was in the little 302. So last week I decided to diag. I thought it was carb issue acting like the power valve was stuck open or a idle circuit.

Carb is an older 600 vac sec electric chock. Single inlet.

Rebuild it I did an no go. Same issues. Now I’m 1 day late to work.

Next thing checking timing, which I should have done before but figured I was good. I had a ford style with hei and a msd 6al. Timing was 20* retarded. I don’t know how I managed to get er in the driveway. Took the cap off and this is what I found.. the beginning of my nightmare on Grove st.

Here are pics of the blown out diaphragm Name:  59624519417__A022E68B-03B5-462D-9CD0-850A92596FDD.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  86.6 KBName:  59624512216__DE2DC518-BC52-4BD1-96C8-2B0DF597E38D.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  134.8 KB

And the distributor.. when I took the cap off I found more slack in the rotor than I can believe. I have a video but here are some screenshots. Name:  IMG_6871.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  66.3 KBName:  IMG_6870.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  66.3 KB

I don’t know where the pin is to this day and I’m not dropping my pan.. but after fining the issue I decided to drop in a barter swap intake I found. A good Ol Edelbrock F4B that is in pristine condition. Little did I know of the horrible sealing issues they present, tight fit (distributor wise) so my new pin I just put in the distributor is uselessName:  IMG_6868.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  76.5 KB

I tried the 3/8” paper spacer, I tried sealant, not on carb side, and no go. Last seal trick I tired was the metal “adapter” that was from Edelbrock conclaves and caused the biggest vacuum leak.

Low and behold I tried one last time...

Gask-a-sinch FTW!

Old intake I had was a Weiand open plenum. Good for higher rpm right? Well not so in stock e7’s and stock cam. So that was what made me try this intake for a more vintage look. Well I’m done. This carb still has a slight leak at the base and after all this over tightening to get things to seal may have helped lead to warping. I took a piece of sandpaper the the base with my straight edge and it’s not level. Not am I going to try to get this vac sec carb to try n run good I personally like DP’s.

So off to the online store and yesterday I got parts..

Edelbrock performer rpm
    Holley brawler 650dp
    CVR T-sat housing
    Stuart 180 high flow stat $30
    Dash pad from a 80’s mustang
    Crap table felt for the headliner and baby blue dice for the rear view mirror. (Good for 10hp)

Other mods on the car I did two months ago was seal kit along with truck flow pan on the c6 trans

Exhaust... again. Due to larger oil pan.

Next update.. tomorrow..

Thanks and keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by biggieou View Post
    Thanks and keep em coming!
    Np man

Today before work I got a little lick in..

Managed to swap intakes out my dizzy 180* off and back on correctly. Note to all of you drop in 180 off it will pop out the carb. I was in a rush, but nothing a swap of some wires and it started right up! Then flooded.. haha

Old carb n F4B intake. I will sell this.
    Name:  IMG_6873.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  198.5 KB

And here is where I left off.
    Name:  IMG_6875.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  158.2 KB
    Well most recent pic..

It does run and with my last carb the needles seated with the higher psi of the facet fuel pump, but I think due to the brawler’s high flow needles in the bowls, it’s allowing too much by and I can’t keep the fuel level from climbing without squirting the accel pumps. So I will be installing a holley 12-803 regulator and fuel pressure gauge.

Once I get the psi down to a lovely 5-6 psi I will try again.

So as of today my list of ****ToDo’ss aka STD’s is as follows.

With parts I have
    -Beer.
    -Regulator install
    -Starter swap (ongoing grinding/loud noise since swapping to mini ford starters)
    -Maybe a power/kill switch for ign due to locked timing making it hard to start.
    -Dash install
    -Headliner
    -Not sure if I should swap out the front springs to the lowering springs I already have or lift the rear to stock and buy new softer springs for the front. Another discussion but the vert springs with cobra front sway bar are toooooo stiff. And I like the mini A-1 look
    -Drop the trans and remove the Jegs brand 10”stall. And swap out for the houghs 12” I had with 1800 stall. (Not liking the stall, doesn’t lockup as stated and too loose for the street)

Need to order list:
    -Carpet (going black to match the ack dash top & healiner)
    -Look for a decent seat upholstery quote for front/rear bench.
    -Install my cobra valve stems on my cobra fan wheels. ( should be good for 5hp... each)

And that’s all I have now. Once I get this running I will need it to be a daily for a while as I just got a 07 Camry donated to me from my Tia with the overheating issue. So I will have my hands tied with that and my side job a 69 nova build. The Camry I will buy a rebuilt motor and fix any body damage & sell for a nice penny. Who needs 33mpg when you only 18min from work?

Looking for a diesel 2wd or 4wd powerstroke as I am a mechanic, I need a truck and the diesel would be best for towing my nova aka The Fink. Might have to sell the Fairmont so I can avoid payments and high insurance rate idk yet. I love my Fairmont but I keep Fuqkin with it. As you can see. I have a street/race car I need to tend to not this.

Quote Originally Posted by 82MoreDoorFox View Post
    With parts I have
    -Beer.
    I think maybe this is where I've been going wrong lately. Not enough liquid courage.

If it were me, I'd avoid every urge to mess with the front springs on these cars. My least favorite job on them. Although, it sounds like you've done it before.

I think if you can avoid further mods on the Fairmont after you get this whole thing ironed out, you should be good DD-ing it. That's a lot of frustration though! Reminds me of when I try to fix things on mine!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I think maybe this is where I've been going wrong lately. Not enough liquid courage.

If it were me, I'd avoid every urge to mess with the front springs on these cars. My least favorite job on them. Although, it sounds like you've done it before.

I think if you can avoid further mods on the Fairmont after you get this whole thing ironed out, you should be good DD-ing it. That's a lot of frustration though! Reminds me of when I try to fix things on mine!
    Springs suck and I don’t have the clamps for this style. But It handles like a drunk donkey.

I should be able to avoid mods cuz I’m pass the limit of making a profit. So whatever I do now is $$ down the drain. Unless I keep it.

Update:

It’s alive after the regulator installed and set at 5.5psi. Had to get to work so I didn’t install the starter.

Carb runs good at idle although it needs adjusting. Too much fuel. When I only open the primary’s it’s ok, idle screws turns 1/2 turn out. Secondary’s however the fuel from the squirter bogs the engine. Too much fuel. And I’m out of tuning time. So since I don’t want to pay $25 for a Lyft, I removed the secondary Accel pump linkage.problem temp solved.

Test drive and it runs ****. Go home grab my bag and head to work, forgot all about the bad battery (older bat) and with all the cranking/no start it’s prob lost life. But it managed to start at my house. Alt is putting out 13.5V. But got to the has station by work to grab a drink, turned it off and didn’t crank back over.

End of story I walked a block to Work and I’ll jump it after work.

Update:
    Car got me home no problems! After putting up X-mas lights I will swap out the starter, maybe dash and install that on off switch for the ign.
    Locked out timing is good but not durning the start. I wish i could change the setting like my 7al grid, but not going to worry about it now.

Update:
    Car got me home no problems! After putting up X-mas lights I will swap out the starter, maybe dash and install that on off switch for the ign.
    Locked out timing is good but not durning the start. I wish i could change the setting like my 7al grid, but not going to worry about it now.

Awesome project. How about some pics of the whole car.
    Always great to see another one that is still alive.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    Awesome project. How about some pics of the whole car.
    Always great to see another one that is still alive.
    Where are my manors, yess I can and will post them. Thank you, but I don’t want this to be a project. I want it to be reliable. “Solid” so my wife can see me driving it more than fixing it and that’ll help me convince her of keeping it. It’s a pristine car imo for the year. I’m the 3rd owner and only thing not factory is motor/trans and whatever I do to the interior.

As far as the mechanically the new parts I bought. Crap.

I was at a light and smelled coolant, being that I was the only car there I knew it was me but being night time I didn’t see smoke.
    Go home and low and behold. CVR T-stat housing leaking. I thought just maybe there may be a problem where the two prints line up but after fixing the car in Allied Auto parking lot I think I found the culprit.

1. Poor quality from Edelbrock??
    2. Poor quality from CVR
    3. it’s the mechanic’s fault

Hey, I’m the mechanic!! Haha well before saying I don’t know what I’m doing.. I didn’t want to buy this housing but intended to just to avoid silicone. But this is what I found when “fixing” it.

The solid halo ring of the big O-ring looks ok (was still pissing smoke) and you can see where the water outlet hole is at and how there is just not enough material for the smaller O-ring to seal. So after 3 drives maybe 5-10 each and the one time from home-work-home. This came up. I think the problem lies where Mr. Edelbrock casted the hole. Not sure if any others have ran into this but I proceeded to fix the issue as I’m out of AAA tows.

Two things I could do, create a gasket via silicone or silicone the base and o-rings and give it a shot.

I proceeded with #2. But this time I cut the smaller o-ring a little smidge as to help create an even surface. Where both O-rings meet, it caused the smaller to kinda buldge and I wanted a smooth surface. Name:  IMG_6896.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  248.4 KB

So because I was busy you don’t get to see my silicone laying down skillzzz but all I did was put a lil on the oring where they met, behind, on the side, and on top. Made sure to squeeze out the extra and I layer a light layer on the intake side. Waited a minute for some tacky tacky and slapped the housing on faster than you can read this. Tightened bolts and you know the rest. I had waited about 30 min before putting coolant in and attempting to start anything. Also I left the cap in the not closed all the way position. Snug but to let off any pressure buildup into the reservoir to prevent any premature blowout.

I used the black 1min gasket maker and the O-rings. I drive it 5 min after assembly with the cap like that and topped off coolant. I’m going to let it sit for about 4 hr then drive under normal circumstances.

Name:  IMG_4149.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  171.6 KBName:  IMG_5887.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  103.3 KB

Sorry for lack of pics. But i will post more when I snap some

I also got my dash in. But man.. this quality is garbage. Looks wayyy better than mine and I’m still going to keep the original in case I find someone who can bring it back to life. But I had to order a dash from another fox-booty.

Name:  IMG_6881.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  88.9 KBName:  IMG_6882.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  216.3 KB

Dash is on the car but I have to drill holes. I have not secured it due to thinking of returning the dash for another since quality looks like crap. I’ll probably toss a coin and see which route I go.

Only difference is the step up on the mustang dash and I think the Fairmont dashes are slightly longer. Actually they are I just haven’t measured the difference.

Update:

Silicone/ cutting O-ring worked! Made it home and beat a new Prius for a good 1/4mile or more rolling start lol. After I came home found another small leak from the coolant passage. Must be from the higher psi cap I’m running 16vs old 13psi

Easy fix for the morning along with drilling holes for the dash.

Starter is still grumpy but I will tackle that on my off days starting wed

Nothing seals as well as the OEM Ford thermostat housing. No need to get messy with the silicone, just a thin coating on both sides of the gasket and make sure the thermostat doesn't slip down when you install it. Love the car..... I'm biased though. I've got a 4dr too.

Car looks great! Very clean!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Nothing seals as well as the OEM Ford thermostat housing. No need to get messy with the silicone, just a thin coating on both sides of the gasket and make sure the thermostat doesn't slip down when you install it. Love the car..... I'm biased though. I've got a 4dr too.
    Yeah I think the extra meet by the bypass hose is what really helps housing from deforming. But I just haaadddd to try something shiny.

And thanks, the car is really clean minus interior. I have to find some plastic trim as they broke while trying to remove them. Hella brittle. But this car was parked outside for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Car looks great! Very clean!
    Thanks! Not sure if I keep it I may end up with some new coat of paint. Being that my stepdad is a painter. I better get some use out of him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast