Close

Thread: "gt40"

Default "gt40"

I just spent 1/2 the day gently porting an Exploder GT40 lower to go on my Baby Coupe. Made a pound of aluminum dust without seriously altering the port profile. That should help it go better with the Twisted Wedges with 1.7 Comps I have waiting downstairs, too...

FEP Supporter

Sweet! Have you done porting on those types of manifolds before? Keep us posted on how it runs!
    '85 GT

Tom moss did a nice article on how to pick up big air on those lowers

They only flow about 180 CFM as cast on some holes. They go right past 250
    without a lot of coaxing

plenty for a GT40 or E7 head but porting is definitely where it’s at with good headsThe

Watch runner length on the upper. Explorer stuff stock turns into a turd at 5800. Cobra and tubular GT40 are about 2” shorter in the runner and run another 700RPM+

If you don’t mind the looks, the Typhoon intakes reign superior in terms of lower flow and need very little clean up in the upper to kill it there too. Many. TFS and Edelbrock and others get schooled. Not bad for a $160 part ...... and people pay 200+ for the Explorer stuff without throttle body or elbow

convert to fox with Tom’s article and sell off the elbow for a 65MM EGR spacer or port the stock one and you are in business

With a Typhoon a B302 SD cam or stock HO with 1.7’s ..... worn timing set, E6 heads..... good exhaust.... does surprisingly well. T5Z and 2.73’s — hard clutch abuse out of the hole and no shifting ... Piece of crap pulls past 6100 and runs a 0-60 in the 4 second range on street tires. Posted a video a few years back. 0-85 was around 6.5 or 7.
    Last edited by erratic50; 12-17-2019 at 10:32 PM.

I have ported stock 5.0 lowers before but, it's not worth the time combining that with the TW head. I needed a better starting point. I'm really looking at keeping it strong on low end torque and run to 6000 max. That's why the Exploder is good for me. I did ultimately push the porting to more like what Tom does, to better match the heads.