Close

Default 1981 Ford Granada L 3.3L 200 Only Tries To Start After Key Is Released

Hello, I have a 1981 Ford Granada L 3.3L 200. I changed my water pump now the car doesn’t want to start for some reason. I try to crank the car it won’t start but when I release the key it tries to start but won’t. I’m getting spark after the key is released. I’ve changed the ignition module, starter solenoid, distributor, rotor, rotor connector, ignition switch, ignition lock cylinder, new spark plugs, and it still won’t start. Any ideas? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GWill8 View Post
    Hello, I have a 1981 Ford Granada L 3.3L 200. I changed my water pump now the car doesn’t want to start for some reason. I try to crank the car it won’t start but when I release the key it tries to start but won’t. I’m getting spark after the key is released. I’ve changed the ignition module, starter solenoid, distributor, rotor, rotor connector, ignition switch, ignition lock cylinder, new spark plugs, and it still won’t start. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Im having the same problem with my 84 mustang, I get spark when I turn the key to the off possition, I also installed a new ignition switch and coil.I will check this weekend if I dnt work, and if I make the car run I let you know.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

Thanks. I'll let you know from my end as well as I'm off work this weekend and plan to work on it.

FEP Member

Have either of you tried using a remote starter switch?

I just made my 84 run, after messing with it for a while I figure that the rotor was too low and it wasnt making contact, I raised it up a little and the car started to run.

Quote Originally Posted by 84zorro View Post
    I just made my 84 run, after messing with it for a while I figure that the rotor was too low and it wasnt making contact, I raised it up a little and the car started to run.

Well I just lowered the rotor to see if it will do the same thing it was doing but it started just fine...idk wth!!

I went for a ride and ran fine , park the car and try to start it and now Im back at square 0ne..it wont start...Im about to post this car in the classifieds... just kidding!

Old Fords have standard problems. Untill you can say "The root of the problem has been isolated", your gonna go around with any car and have the same matters.

My opinion is, cars are not spirit beings that have souls and need hoochy coochy chicken sacrifice. They are fixed by Diagnosis, Prognosis, and Remedy.

Coil, ignition switch and Magnetic pickup in the Duraspark II need to be exactly the right spec, or it'll screw you. The earthing straps and the way the voltage is applied to the starter also causes issues, and a relay and a better starter are good first steps. But just replacing stuff is bad karma, man. Have a proper PDCA (plan–do–check–adjust) cycle,

not a hair trigger, hair brained scattergram of buck shot action.

Selling the car isn't a cure for wrong parts that are no longer in good shape.

Go look at a Nics Garage video. Same thing with a totally brand new 351 Windsor rebuild. The defective brand new coil got binned. A New coil.

Hello?

Bad stuff that doesn't work goes into the dumpster.

Thats a compulsory coil, ignition switch and magnetic pickup check and replace if its not working.

Replaced with a proper spec.

See how to solve problems. Not ditch it. But its your car, your choice. Good advice sorts out a whole bunch of bull shizen and angst that doesn't ever sort the root of

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-good-mechanic

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...72#post1851772

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-my-ford-truck

Get Militaristic.

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    Yes. When I checked everything with the connector on probing from the back it was good.
    When I used to repair radar systems in the army most of the cables would fail at the connector so I used my "built by the lowest bidder" mentality and gave everything a hard look.

Quote Originally Posted by GWill8 View Post
    Thanks. I'll let you know from my end as well as I'm off work this weekend and plan to work on it.
    Did you get your car running?