Close

Default Radiator support replacement parts don't seem complete

Working on the 83 Capri again and this time working to replace the radiator support. I ordered a new one from CJ pony parts only to find it is basically the front half of the radiator support.

There was someone who had commented about this problem on their website in the feedback on the part. I asked before ordering to confirm it was the whole deal and was told it was. After getting it their tech support determined that there are other pieces required which are not available from Ford and not sold by them. They were very kind and even sent me a link to a Ford online parts site which showed the breakown of the separate parts along with the fact that the pieces I needed are not available.

If you look at the radiator support available for airbag mustangs IE 1990 to '93, you will notice they do include the full box that makes up the side sections of the lower radiator support. That is of course the most damage part of my radiator support. 24 years ago I found a raccoon crossing the road... he was going 3 mph and I almost 140 mph with this car.

My question is how different are the radiator supports for the airbag cars? Is it a matter of replacing the standoffs for the different style front bumper? Has anyone ever adapted a foureyed front end onto an aero car?

I of course will be using the Capri bumper cover and bumper/struts If I could drill the spot welds on the 90+ bumper mounts and still use the Capri stuff I would have a rather good solution. Otherwise I’m stuck finding a non rusty 4 eyed parts car in Ohio...lol

might as well take on world hunger first
    Last edited by foot2floor; 01-16-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Here is what I received...

Name:  15787761883074958065538969287966.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  313.3 KB

The section I needed most is missing ...
    Last edited by foot2floor; 01-11-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Tried putting up another image but it didn’t work
    Last edited by foot2floor; 01-11-2020 at 11:27 PM.

I don't know how to rename the title to this thread (I used talk to text and clearly didn't proof read it well enough!)

GOOD NEWS! I called LMR and ordered the 1990-93 Fox Radiator support. Now I can answer the question about how different the radiator supports for the airbag cars! It IS just a matter of the removing the standoffs for the AERO style front bumper and welding on the front pads which cover up the holes left behind.

The one I got from CJPony Parts is going back! This was an easy thing to do and is WELL WORTH the extra money from LMR!