Close

Default 1980 Fairmont 1980 Brakes

I'm assuming the brake system of a Fairmont is the same as a mustang except for the main line going to rear, as the wheel base in a F/Z is longer. Is this accurate? I want to start getting parts collected for the spring thaw.

What are you trying to do? I have the Mustang '87+ 11" front discs on my '80 Fairmont. This needed the correct spindle. I also have an 8.8" rear axle with the center mount brake line, also from a Mustang. I used the kit from LMR for the rear brakes which includes the center mount bracket for the chassis hard line. I believe this is intended for a Mustang, but I had no problem installing it. There are more aggressive kits with larger brakes and 5 lug kits also.

I swapped '95 Mustang brakes onto mine. Bolt right in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Straight stock is all I'm looking for. I live near Summit racing, so knowing what's a direct swap from a Mustang will make life easier.

Josh

Pretty much everything. You just may need to change spindles.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Pretty much everything. You just may need to change spindles.
    The spindles are different from the early Mustang to FZ?

I was just saying if you were looking at '87 and up V8 stuff or SN95 or whatever. I believe F/Zs do have the same spindles as the early Fox base Mustangs at least.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I was just saying if you were looking at '87 and up V8 stuff or SN95 or whatever. I believe F/Zs do have the same spindles as the early Fox base Mustangs at least.

Gotcha. Yeah I'm planning on bone stock.

Should be able to get stock brake parts for a Fairmont at any parts store or online at rock auto.

Yup, most likely. Just wondering as I'm so close to summit racing.

Spindles are the problem. Stick with 86-older Foxbody brakes and your ok for the front, the rear are 11” drums as compared to mustang 10” drums FYI. Any newer brake pad /rotors/calipers need 87-95 spindles and if you change that. You will need 87-95 shocks as the spindles are skinnier OR you buy the spacers for your shock.

Murillo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 82MoreDoorFox View Post
    Spindles are the problem. Stick with 86-older Foxbody brakes and your ok for the front, the rear are 11” drums as compared to mustang 10” drums FYI. Any newer brake pad /rotors/calipers need 87-95 spindles and if you change that. You will need 87-95 shocks as the spindles are skinnier OR you buy the spacers for your shock.

Murillo

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by biggieou View Post
    thank you!
    Np