Close

Default Steering wheel 1983 mustang

What is so different about the 83 mustang steering column, and why is there no aftermarket steering wheel for them ?

'79-83 has a splined shaft (think similar to the end of an axle shaft). 84+ has a "D" shape. Very easy swap to do and opens up many more choices as you have already discovered.

Grant makes a hub kit for their wheels...... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/g.../model/mustang

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

My 83 had a D shaft. I think it was a mid year change.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    My 83 had a D shaft. I think it was a mid year change.
    Ford make a Mid-year change? Never heard of such a thing.

Right?!
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Name:  83 interior.png
Views: 286
Size:  35.3 KBName:  83orgsteering.png
Views: 284
Size:  31.0 KB
    Mine's an '83. I swapped out the original to a different one as shown.

Name:  83org steering back.png
Views: 284
Size:  40.0 KB
    This is the back of the original. I no longer can use cruze or whatever it was called. I think thats what all the copper rings are for. It all worked before and is in good shape I just didn't like the looks. I'm not sure what attachment i had so look in the center hole looks like 2 flat spots and no splines? I replaced the original column as the tilt steering lock broke and wheel was flopping around it was kinda tough to drive that way

My experience has been the 79-early 83 models used the splined steering column.

mid/late 83-89 use the D shaped steering column.

The 1990-93 also use the D shaped steering column, but those are air bag equipped columns so there are some other differences.

The 79-89 columns are interchangeable other than the splined/D shaft. You can strip off the switch gear and swap as needed. As long as your steering wheel will interchange or you have the matching steering wheel you can swap columns from the Aero cars into the Four Eyes if needed.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Indeed.....I had 35 year old cruise that worked so I wanted to keep it. I like the fat 3 spoke GT wheel but no cruise. OEM wheel is just plain awful. I ended up with a 1987-89 5.0 Cruise wheel and it's the best of all worlds to me.

The terrible OEM wheel with cruise:

A big improvement on the OEM wheel but you lost the cruise control and the diamter is a little big

The current wheel. I like it because it keeps the cruise control and it looks nice and it's nice and thick so it

feels nice.