Close

Default 1981 Mercury Capri info needed.

So I am looking to buy my wife a 1981 Mercury Capri. I found one that is a 255/C-4 car. I have not received my 1981 sales brochure yet from Ebay yet but I am wondering what model Capri it is. From the info I see it can be just a regular production Capri with a V8 or a GS. What do I need to look for to see which model it is?

Also if I was to put a EFI 5.0L and 5 speed trans in the car with a 98 Mustang 8.8" and SN95 front brakes, does that ruin the rarity of the car or is an 1981 Capri/Mustang of that year kinda the low time for the foxbody because of the engine they chose to power the cars?

Thanks guys

Easy to figure out if it's a GS as that model had a unique code in the VIN (P68) for the 1981 and 1982 model years.

There were two "models" and three "options" in the 1981 model year...

Capri
    Capri GS
    RS option
    Turbo RS option
    Black Magic option

Except for the Turbo RS any of those could come with any available engine, so having a 255 engine does not narrow it down.

We would need to see pics of the exterior and interior of the car and the door tag and buck tag.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 11-17-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I am going to try and get a friend to send me pics of the vin and buck tag if he can. Here is an exterior and interior shot. I want to say regular Capri with a V8 option or a GS. I do not see any RS designation on it. Interior almost looks like a Ghia

Name:  IMG_3928.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  256.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_3930.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  69.5 KB
    Last edited by Foureyed81; 11-23-2019 at 07:20 AM.