Close

Default Power to radio/ dome light/ under dash lighting and mystery plug question

1986 Mercury Capri GS 5.0L standard shift with T tops
    I am knee deep in my third restoration
    and have hit an electrical brick wall. There is a two pin wiring plug under the dash on the left side that has three wires in it, all the same color - red with a light green stripe. One wire goes to one pin, the other two go to the other pin. My car is an 86 capri 5.0 GS and I believe the light gray interior came from a 1987 Mustang. The wiring for the radio and a relay are attached to a rusty metal bracket that goes on the side to the left of the radio. Do you have any idea what this wiring plug goes to? I previously found one plug attached to the information center was actually the plug that was supposed to go to the radio. I fixed this, but it is possible this had caused damage. My bigger problem is that the light green/yellow stripe power to the radio is not working. All fuses are good, the aftermarket radio is definitely good, and my research indicates the fusible links under the hood have nothing to do with the radio. I keep wondering if the mystery plug is tied into the problem somehow. Maybe there is a missing relay or something. Can you help? On a side note I found wiring diagrams that I am having trouble reading, which led me to check the dome light, under dash lights, wiring between them, and door jamb switches for any problems. They are all receiving ground signal on what are supposed to be hot wires when the fuse is hot on both sides (with the headlight switch set to interior lights on/ doors open etc.) For informational purposes, the headlights, tail lights are working, but I am still trying to trace down the source of the fog lights not working. I would love to find the one issue that I am pretty sure will fix all of these issues on this radio/interior lights circuit, but feel i am out of my depth. Right now the headliner is out (getting ready to replace it) so i can access things pretty well.
    Here are photos of the mystery plug.
    Name:  IMG_2650.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  83.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2651.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  69.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2652.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  120.2 KB

the connector looks like the one on the clutch peddle that kicks the cruise control off but the wire colors dont match anything I can find.

There is a great link to all early wiring diagrams, it should help you identify the connector.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...79-1986-in-PDF