Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    FEP Power Member

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this is a stupid idea. If Ford wants to make an electric SUV, fine. But calling it a Mustang anything is an insult to 50+ years of owners. If Carrol Shelby were alive he'd have kicked some butts over this.

Speaking of horrifically stupid ideas.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ra/2495616001/

When driving a hot performance car, who needs to be low to the ground?

Certainly not some Wall Street analysts.

During General Motors' third-quarter earnings call Tuesday, one analyst asked GM CEO Mary Barra: How about a Corvette SUV?

Barra, unruffled, tactfully replied, "I appreciate that you think our Corvette franchise is very strong," but she backed off discussing future product plans.

GM is focused on launching the 2020 Corvette Stingray, said Barra. It's the first-ever Corvette with its engine mounted behind the passenger — a midengined layout. GM was supposed to start building it next month, but as the Free Press reported, that will be delayed because of the UAW's nationwide six-week strike.

An SUV variant of a Corvette would be a first — sort of. Other performance brands are venturing into that space.

Ferrari is reportedly working on its first SUV. The vehicle is code-named Purosangue, which according to a Google Italian-to-English translator means "thoroughbred." You'll need a well-bred bank account to buy the Purosangue when it arrives in 2022. It starts at about $350,000.

Ford said it will unveil a "Mustang-inspired" electric SUV in mid-November. That new beauty might deflate Tesla's production of a new, smaller, lower-priced electric SUV, the Model Y, next year.

Porsche, of course, has offered the Cayenne SUV for years, with up to 541 horsepower available in case you are late for soccer practice. The 2020 Cayenne starts at a modest $66,800.

With all this evidence at hand, Barra likely did not want to slam a sleek, sports car door on the idea altogether. She closed out the question with:

“We look at a variety of things as we go forward and we recognize the strength of the Corvette brand."
    I also found a bunch of other articles from morons masquerading as automotive journalists actually calling the above a good idea and trying to convince GM to build one.

Looks like this "new Mustang" needs a new model title, it's definitely not a Mustang in looks or spirit. I don't own any electric or hybrid cars because IMO the processes it takes to make and dispose of the batteries in these vehicles is far worse for the planet then the "gas emissions" they are suppose to be protecting us from. The electric cars that actually have a decent range have a battery pack that weighs 1,200 lb (540 kg) and contains 7,104 lithium-ion battery cells in 16 modules wired in series. That's over half a ton of e-waste in each car just in batteries! If you figure the life of those batteries is around maybe 5 years if you are lucky and the cost is around $7000 to replace the entire pack, not to mention the cost of the car's motors and e-waste from them as well when THEY burn up! Most tree huggers don't take that into consideration when buying their "GREEN" vehicle! This is not a solution to our environment problems in any way! IMO it's way worse! I'm still holding out for the hydrogen fuel motor myself LOL.

Signed the petition,

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I've seen the new 2020 Mustang and it didn't look much different from the 2019 model. I was sure that P0S Mustang E was the new Mustang. Luckily, it isn't!

One day after work, GM had a product car show across the street including a Chevy Volt.
    Very nice inside. We figured out how to power it up, but drive mode was locked out.

Sis and brother in law in Florida have a 2015 C-Max Hybrid. Said its pretty cool.
    Battery plus engine may be the way to go. Plug in or have engine recharge battery.
    I know he said fills up once a month and has a great stereo.
    Will update. Have not asked about it for a while. Like how much their electric utility bill is.
    Attachment 130523

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C...ybrid_versions
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fusion_Hybrid
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt
    https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_EV
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV

The 'E' to compete with Subaru Outback?
    How much out gassing do these batteries give up?
    Is there on board fire suppression or even a standard fire extinguisher?
    Will they explode in a California wildfire or in a major accident?
    One thing for sure. Batteries get hot when heavily discharged.
    The large connecting cables can get too hot to touch.

A while back, a hobby store in the area went up in flames. Was pretty much totaled.
    Heard the fire was started by hobby type lithium (LiPo?) batteries.
    Store thankfully is back in business.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=nank...rYTfeX-J82q-M:
    Last edited by gr79; 12-10-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    I've seen the new 2020 Mustang and it didn't look much different from the 2019 model. I was sure that P0S Mustang E was the new Mustang. Luckily, it isn't!
    Probably won't be long before that's the case. Now that they know people will accept at stupid lame blob-mobile as a Mustang, they will most likely phase out the low-profit coupe. Profit, profit, profit! That's all that matters now!

You know what I want to know is, where was this sh**storm of hate over naming it Mach 1? I never saw anything about that, and it was enough for Ford to back off and decide to call it something else. But all the pushback now over calling it a "Mustang" isn't enough?! I see this ALL OVER THE PLACE! Not that I think it should be a Mach 1 or anything, it definitely shouldn't. But how was that more significant than what's happening now over "Mustang"? Apparently they're still a-okay and moving forward?!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

They are sold out on these all orders are placed

I agree with hemlock 100%

Corvette wagon looks bad but the caddy wagon is sharp I can see where there vision is "kinda" even if it's in the tubes
    Hate to say this but seems like Porsche has all of them beat in style department with SUV styling 4 door

Hey, look everyone. Hackett came up with another idiotic cost-cutting idea that's not going to work!

https://jalopnik.com/ford-ceos-visio...gly-1840328478

They need to fire his dumb a$$ already. This story hits the nail on the head. Strap in everyone, the future of the auto industry will be.... depressing!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

C.A.F.E. standards have changed what is available to drive since 1975.
    Not a easily accepted, light, and laid back part of life like a cafe is. The acronym appears to be intentionally created to suggest it is?
    The 55 mph speed limit and C.A.F.E were implemented due to temp Arab oil embargo that lasted only a few years.
    The consumer pays with no apparent standards for cost containment or practical feasibility.

Why is it every time the cost of vehicle ownership drops, something is created to raise the cost back up again?
    Why is tech not used to get 100 mpg out of rotating engines instead of horsepower or batteries?
    No more tachometers, mufflers, clutch pedals, fan belts. Will there be electric boats, trains, airplanes?
    Will continuing increased electrical demand from utilities significantly raise the cost per KWH?
    All the knowledge gained in 100 years show no efforts to lower the overall cost of living for everyone.
    Why has solar energy not progressed more with tech breakthroughs, lower cost? Or has it?

https://reason.org/e-brief/cafe-stan...plain-english/

And the real reason for a sudden push to electric. US govt intrusion into everyone's lives again?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tric/90614734/

I wouldn't doubt that the new push for electric in the auto industry is due in no small part to how influential the companies that deal in the coal industry are. They know the public wants something different from fossil fuel powered cars to feel better about themselves, and here's a way the coal industry can benefit from that. The auto industry and coal producers can be friends too. Isn't this cozy?

And you know that's why solar hasn't come farther than it has.

As for the tech development being used for horsepower? The oil industry. We still need our old allies, don't we?

Industry has a strangle hold on the government, and until THAT changes, nothing else will.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Probably won't be long before that's the case. Now that they know people will accept at stupid lame blob-mobile as a Mustang, they will most likely phase out the low-profit coupe. Profit, profit, profit! That's all that matters now!

You know what I want to know is, where was this sh**storm of hate over naming it Mach 1? I never saw anything about that, and it was enough for Ford to back off and decide to call it something else. But all the pushback now over calling it a "Mustang" isn't enough?! I see this ALL OVER THE PLACE! Not that I think it should be a Mach 1 or anything, it definitely shouldn't. But how was that more significant than what's happening now over "Mustang"? Apparently they're still a-okay and moving forward?!
    Totally. Profit rules the day. Nothing else is important, style, legacy, nothing. Just profit. Profit is obviously important, but it shouldn't be the only thing to consider over at Ford, or any other company for that matter.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 12-27-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: sp

At some point the auto makers need to realize that people buy what they are familiar with. I buy Ford because it’s what I grew up with. What I’ve always driven.

Surround me with someonelse motors from young age on and Ford won’t even be a consideration.

I really hate to see short sighted decisions. They always bite companies and their customers in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    At some point the auto makers need to realize that people buy what they are familiar with. I buy Ford because it’s what I grew up with. What I’ve always driven.

Surround me with someonelse motors from young age on and Ford won’t even be a consideration.

I really hate to see short sighted decisions. They always bite companies and their customers in the ass
    YES! That's a big reason why I buy them, and also because I (USED TO) believe in their commitment to the American worker, AS WELL AS people who can't necessarily afford a $60,000 Explorer or F-150. If you bought one with a manual like I did, the 2012-18 Focus was a great car! Very well done interior, and high quality work all around. Except that damn automatic. But what do they offer now in that price range? Cheaply made compromised crap.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Not a very well written article, but there's some good truth nuggets hiding in there.

https://motor-junkie.com/15-things-f...cd59pr-FA3HwH4
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Here's yet another example of how our economy has shifted from making good products and remaining stable for the benefit of customers and employees alike to simply making money. Gotta keep that stock profile showing the all-important GROWTH. Greed is all that matters now.

https://qz.com/1776080/how-the-mcdon...37-max-crisis/

That's exactly what's happening at Ford.

Man, I wish there was something that could be done about it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Big companies are not immune to failure like GM 2008. Old school rules have not changed.
    They still have to earn their name, not bank on past success that got them there.
    Especially introducing radical new product lines with short or no past tech history to build upon.
    The smell of money gets people giddy. Rely on computers to solve everything.
    CEO's? They parachute if the company is falling from the sky or get fired.
    They can take big chances, gambles, and walk. Stick everyone with the bill.

Take crossword puzzles in newspapers.
    Task- obtain daily crossword puzzle
    Traditional:
    Buy or snag a paper and pen or pencil with eraser. Open page. Do crossword or save for later.
    Time 2 minutes or so to stage.

Now, no newspaper:
    Log onto computer. Log onto internet. Search for newspaper webpage. Scroll to find crossword.
    Turn on printer, load paper if needed, print out.
    Still need paper, pen or pencil with eraser.
    The main part of obtaining the crossword is the hard part.
    Time 15 minutes or more to do same simple task that took 2.

Is that progress?
    How many other simple things now take much more time, money, or cannot be done anymore in a simple way. Wasted time.
    Never had to buy a new phone every other year, nor pay so much for one.
    They are not user friendly, ergonomic, weak sound, nor can stay running on their own for long.
    Stuck with the new style telephones that can do much more except its main? function as a telephone.
    Squashed a reliable, durable, clear sounding, pleasant easy to use invention into a small thin flat piece of fragile plastic full of electronics.
    Same thing basically happened to cars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesc.../#705dc4486611

Strategy not working out all that great so far..........

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...it/4072001002/
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Big companies are not immune to failure like GM 2008. Old school rules have not changed.
    They still have to earn their name, not bank on past success that got them there.
    Especially introducing radical new product lines with short or no past tech history to build upon.
    The smell of money gets people giddy. Rely on computers to solve everything.
    CEO's? They parachute if the company is falling from the sky or get fired.
    They can take big chances, gambles, and walk. Stick everyone with the bill.

Take crossword puzzles in newspapers.
    Task- obtain daily crossword puzzle
    Traditional:
    Buy or snag a paper and pen or pencil with eraser. Open page. Do crossword or save for later.
    Time 2 minutes or so to stage.

Now, no newspaper:
    Log onto computer. Log onto internet. Search for newspaper webpage. Scroll to find crossword.
    Turn on printer, load paper if needed, print out.
    Still need paper, pen or pencil with eraser.
    The main part of obtaining the crossword is the hard part.
    Time 15 minutes or more to do same simple task that took 2.

Is that progress?
    How many other simple things now take much more time, money, or cannot be done anymore in a simple way. Wasted time.
    Never had to buy a new phone every other year, nor pay so much for one.
    They are not user friendly, ergonomic, weak sound, nor can stay running on their own for long.
    Stuck with the new style telephones that can do much more except its main? function as a telephone.
    Squashed a reliable, durable, clear sounding, pleasant easy to use invention into a small thin flat piece of fragile plastic full of electronics.
    Same thing basically happened to cars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesc.../#705dc4486611
    You forgot the part about how you'll have to fight with your printer, reboots, send the print job several times, paper jam, out of ink, and so on. I've NEVER had a computer printer just work the way it's supposed to.

As for your Forbes link, that sounds like what's happening at every American company I know of.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Strategy not working out all that great so far..........

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...it/4072001002/
    I just hope the damage that moron does to Ford is reversible.

From what I understand, the Explorer is a real dud. Not just because of plant and quality control problems. From what I've read, the switch to RWD should have yielded much better dynamics than it actually did. Supposedly many FWD-based competitors still have a better ride/handling than it does. And this is after having supposedly removed all the other "distractions" that would take away from the Explorer and Aviator being great product. It SHOULD have been a masterpiece. But it isn't. #BecauseHackett.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Rarely get a printer paper jam here.
    Actually only print a few pages a month.
    The only printer that keeps on ticking is my first- an IBM Proprinter line 24 pin dot matrix bought 5/92.
    Uses pin feed paper (hard to find) or manually loaded single sheets. Works like new.
    Slow, a little noisy, needs a new inexpensive ribbon cartridge every few years. Prints scan-able bar codes.

Have had 3 Lexmark inkjets and all of them are stowed, out of ink. Work fine, cost too much to operate.
    Never printed photos that cost more than Polaroids did. Plus the ink would dry up if not used for a few weeks.
    Inkjets and lasers are faster. They are the hares but here, the turtle wins.
    The old saying- how fast do you want to go? How much money do you have?

FEP Senior Member

For the comments on solar, and why it hasn't progressed further, there is a big problem with energy storage. While the sun is out, yes you can make power that can be fed into the system. What happens the 12 hours per day that you don't have sun? You need power from somewhere. Coal and any other fuel source can run 24/7 on demand, or with a little notice. In order to convert to more solar, we need more storage capacity. That's typically why it's fed into the current system as a supplement, not as a complete replacement.