Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Is the Mustang next................

So this thread has been going for a while.

It-s-Official-Ford-s-Killing-ALL-of-Their-Cars-Except-Mustang

But committing corporate suicide by pissing off 99% of mustang faithfull has
    got to be up there on the worst automotive decisions made by any car
    company, ever.......... 55 years to build up the Icon of Icon's, and one day
    to destroy it.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/11/fo...d-this-sunday/

Or is the plan really to completely kill the Mustang as we know it??
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Yeah, this is the stupidest decision Ford's ever made (Killing all the other cars is 2nd). I'd love it if all they got was crickets when they opened things up for ordering. But, that's probably not what's going to happen because our fellow man is lame and stupid.

I think what their plan is, is to have a range of "Mustang" models as a premium subdivision of sorts. That way they can quietly kill off the traditional V8 coupe in a few years "without anyone noticing". And hey, they're having enough trouble giving Lincoln its own identity, what better way to fix that then offer internal competition? Great strategy, idiots.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

What about cost overuns-in so deep they feel they cannot stop spending to get product to work?
    Just because its technically possible does not guarantee practicality, will work better, or be less costly than products being replacing.
    Clean sheet products, erasing most all the knowledge gained in the last 100 years.
    How do you charge electric cars if living in an apartment or in a blackout from storms? Electric cars and floods?
    Will they really be noticeably superior to the products they are supposed to replace including cost and labor?
    B52, F15, F16, A10, C130, come to mind. Workhorses. Jeep has had a long run. VW bug did too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Boeing_V-22_Osprey

Flying suv pig?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...5_Lightning_II
    Last edited by gr79; 12-09-2019 at 08:47 PM.

I am not in the market for an electric vehicle and probably never will be until the government gives me no other choice, but I will say styling wise its not a bad looking vehicle.

I have NO Idea why they felt the need to call it a Mustang. Fine you want to use some styling cues from the Mustang . . . Great! But again NO need to call it a Mustang. You could have simply called it the Mach E and been done with it. I am a die hard Ford guy, but I have to say some of their decisions and designs here lately are really making me think about other manufacturers. I just don't get the direction and ultimate game plan going on right now.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

+1^^^^^^ can you say SUV

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Afraid or will not to admit failure, cut loss and lose job, contract?
    They're in full panic mode over there. Making all sorts of irrational sweeping decisions without properly considering the huge consequences. I think they want us to feel like they do, meanwhile driving the company we love into the ground. Meanwhile, the decision that should have been very easy, the Bronco, they're dragging their feet on! They could be cashing in on that great brand equity they have right now, but nope. Better take longer to make absolutely sure this will be okay. But the Mustang's brand equity? We don't care about that. The Mustang is a car, and that's not what we do here anymore.

It's funny you mention admitting failure though. They're more than happy, thrilled even, to admit the previous administration's failure in over-arching strategy. It's what they do, every 10-15 years or so. Completely start over, 180 degrees. All new model names, and everything. THIS is the REAL way to the future! Meanwhile there's Bill Ford standing by smiling. "Yeah, he's totally right... ".

The USS America with F35s sure is a cool idea. It's very close in size to the Essex class carriers. Too bad it's been a total clusterf***.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

How do you charge your electric car in storms? You don't. Look at the issue PG&E is having in California when they cut power for 5 days recently. People couldn't leave their houses because hey couldn't charge their cars.

I don't understand the name as others have said. Why try to build a new platform from the backbone off a current 50 year streak? I understand talking how the heritage led you to this new vehicle. How could you explain the differences between a Mustang GT, a Mustang Cobra, and a Mustang Mach E to a non-car person? Would my mom understand it? Maybe that's the point, and the target market isn't car people.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

IMHO, Right Choice guys.

Despite the name, Ford isn't attacking the platform with a Machete.

Electric vehicles are great turkeys and the infrastructure is worse than going diesel or propane.

However, the idea of expanding the base is okay if it doesn't damage it.

This is a safe bet for Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    With the birds I'll share this lonely viewin'

Scar tissue

Misheard lyrics...

With the Mach Ete this's a lonely viewin'

Doesn't matter...if its not a Jet Age lowrider sedan, it'll still sell like hot cakes....

The everything SUV craze to me is just out of control. The MSRP of these beasts is skyrocketing. It's not just the American base manufacturers. Look at BMWs line up. They have an SUV class for every number X1-X7 and I believe X8 is on the way already.
    SUVs are being shoved down our thoats because the profit margins are huge.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brian.aughe View Post
    The everything SUV craze to me is just out of control. The MSRP of these beasts is skyrocketing. It's not just the American base manufacturers. Look at BMWs line up. They have an SUV class for every number X1-X7 and I believe X8 is on the way already.
    SUVs are being shoved down our thoats because the profit margins are huge.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    And the public wants them, not sedans and low riders. That's been clear since AMC brought out the Concorde AWD Eagle, and it'll keep going. The vehicle is moving back to its land skimmer roots, instead of being Transit system bound. Its happening the world over. Even with a 10 to 30% additional cost, its a no brainer for the auto makers. People without homes are sleeping in them.....

Deal with it.

2x

Finally the 4wd Mustang station wagon.
    Is a Mach E related to a Mustang?
    If so, would call it a Ford Donk E.

And the public wants them, not sedans and low riders.
    You mean except for the 31% of people in the USA that DIDN'T buy SUV's or trucks................
    Must be "great" to just give up on that market share.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

They're not expanding anything. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. They're slapping a name on yet another blandmobile.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have NO Idea why they felt the need to call it a Mustang. Fine you want to use some styling cues from the Mustang . . . Great! But again NO need to call it a Mustang. You could have simply called it the Mach E and been done with it. I am a die hard Ford guy, but I have to say some of their decisions and designs here lately are really making me think about other manufacturers. I just don't get the direction and ultimate game plan going on right now.
    I completely agree.

I have no issue with electric cars, though I don't see myself owning one..... yet. I have no issue with an electric Mustang, in fact the concept and potential is rather intriguing if done right. An SUV with the Mustang name is not what I consider done right.

On the upside, the Mustang II will likely no longer the most reviled of the breed among Mustang enthusiasts.

And the public wants them, not sedans and low riders. That's been clear since AMC brought out the Concorde AWD Eagle, and it'll keep going. The vehicle is moving back to its land skimmer roots, instead of being Transit system bound. Its happening the world over. Even with a 10 to 30% additional cost, its a no brainer for the auto makers. People without homes are sleeping in them.....

Deal with it.
    The popularity of SUVs is largely a case of the tail wagging the dog. Walk onto a dealership lot to buy a vehicle and what are you faced with. Not many, if any, cars to choose from and massive numbers of SUVs with huge pricing incentives to move them off the lot. Want anything beyond a basic econbox and you are forced into the SUV market. Dealers are stocking SUVs for the high profitability they get from them and people are left with few other options. This is a North American phenomenon due to the dealership and car buying model we have here. No one chooses the car they want then asks the dealer to supply them with that car to purchase. People go to the dealer and buy what is available from the inventory and what the salesman convinces them they want.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 11-18-2019 at 10:16 PM.

I guess they had to lift the E for battery space.
    Avail next fall at 45,000.00 they said on the news.
    Batteries included.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-09-2019 at 08:48 PM.

All this reminds me of the 80's when we almost got a Japanese FWD Mustang.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    All this reminds me of the 80's when we almost got a Japanese FWD Mustang.
    Maybe, but the Probe was never officially introduced as a Mustang.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Maybe, but the Probe was never officially introduced as a Mustang.
    Thank God.

I guess it was more that Ford was thinking of killing it off back then.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Honestly the issue I have with everything being called an SUV now is that virtually NONE of them are Sport Utility Vehicles in the sense that you can actually take them off road down anything more than a gravel or well graded dirt road these days. The vehicles don't have much more ground clearance than any of the "Sedans" or even many "Sportscars" today. My wife drives a 2015 Edge right now (She HATES it, but that's another story) that's AWD, but you can't take it anywhere that is even remotely offroad without possibly ripping off all the low hanging plastic side skirts, front or rear bumper covers. No we didn't buy it to go off roading, but she likes to Kayaki and Camp and you can't take it down many of the non paved roads here in Colorado without a white knuckle experience of am I going to tear the entire undercarriage off this dang thing if I try to go over rock larger than a pebble.

Before an SUV, was a Bronco, Explorer, Expedition, Excursion, etc. but now EVERYTHING is an SUV or CrossOver. As many have stated there are little to no choices left at the Ford dealership besides a sportscar, an SUV, or a truck. I have high hopes for the new Bronco, but I am afraid Ford is going to blow it for me with their drivetrain choice based upon the rumors I have seen. If they don't her next vehicle will most likely be the new Bronco, otherwise we will be looking at other manufacturers because unfortunately nothing else Ford offers right now fits her desires and our needs. Oh well, guess I am waiting until late 2020, 2021, or 2022, or 202.......... for Ford to finally release the Bronco.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Good points. I guess its still an X over or an SUV as we now know it Jim.

But it has no mouth....

But a lot of things do now Tesler has emerged from the Matrix.

Default Times change automotive history constantly being written and rewritten

Most businesses have switched to electric forklifts like cars are proposed to do.
    Common to lease the batteries and usually the machines too.
    LED battery life indicators are ok but not as much resolution as a fuel gauge.
    Simple bar graph style green, yellow, red zones.
    Our cars IVR's are precision instruments compared to them.
    Forget or cannot plug in overnite, then run out on way to work.
    Replacement batteries may cost more than new gas engines do now.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-09-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Signed!

Whatever you call an SUV or a crossover, I think we can agree that a MUSTANG is NOT one!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Signed the petition too.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast