Close

Default V8 swap dash question 86

Hi this is my first post. I have a question for someone who knows a lot about 4 to 8 swaps. Specifically on 1986. I've swapped out the computer and harness. I've also swapped out the headlight harness from a v8 86. Can I use the dash harness from the 4 cylinder car? I have run the fuel pump wiring for the efi system and the fuel lines. I do realize on the 4 cylinder dash harness there is no fuse for the fuel pump. So my question is can I use the 4 cylinder dash harness and run power for the fuel pump or do I need an 86 5.0 efi dash harness? If there is already a post about this sorry and if you could link me to it that would be great.Name:  IMG_157237035922F.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  188.8 KB

The ONLY thing you need to do here is make a circuit to fire up the electric fuel pump. If this was a V6 car originally, that would already be there. The 4 banger cars were carbed so, you need an EFI tank, lines and wiring for that stuff. Other than that, you can use the four banger dash, ignition wiring, etc. just switch the tach to v8 setting via the pot on its front and yer good. The 86 four banger headlight, chassis wiring, ignition stuff all is stand alone from the engine harness so, can be left intact.Name:  20180508_210113_resized_3.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  448.7 KBName:  20181208_093448.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  277.1 KB

FEP User

can't answ, just curious, new K-member?
    Chad
    Seeking: fox station wagon int/ext trim (esp LTD/Marquis)
    Retire/restore ol Bronk to daughter
    chrlsful@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrlsful View Post
    can't answ, just curious, new K-member?
    4 cyl, V6, and V8 K members are the same. The inline 6 uses the different K member due to the engine mounts.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    4 cyl, V6, and V8 K members are the same. The inline 6 uses the different K member due to the engine mounts.
    Is it only the LTD's that have a different K for the V6?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Is it only the LTD's that have a different K for the V6?
    I am not 100% sure about that. In the Mustang/Capri the inline 6 K member is unique, but you can swap a V8 into an original 4cyl or V6 K member with just the correct motor mounts. Obviously you may need to swap the transmission crossmember for the double hump for exhaust clearance and properly transmission placement.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP User

this is helpful. And from a Q!
    I need all the info I can on a v8 swap-in.
    Is there 1 thread on here to help w/that? I'ma newbie here w/a upcomming LTD wagon purchse...
    Thnx, sorry to step on ur thread.
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I am not 100% sure about that. In the Mustang/Capri the inline 6 K member is unique, but you can swap a V8 into an original 4cyl or V6 K member with just the correct motor mounts. Obviously you may need to swap the transmission crossmember for the double hump for exhaust clearance and properly transmission placement.
    I had always thought I read all the V-6's were different (4 and 8 the same), but maybe I was reading about the I6.
    I've only done an LTD (3., had to mod that one like this.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/DADSLTD/motormountpad1.jpg
    http://luxjo.supermotors.net/DADSLTD/motormountpad2.jpg

Also had to mod trans X-member, but maybe we used the wrong motor mounts or something.
    I did use the same motor mounts that came in my Capri, IIRC

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/DADSLTD/DCP00728.JPG

Everything appears like engine is in right spot though.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/DADSLTD...E/IMG_1235.JPG
    http://luxjo.supermotors.net/DADSLTD...E/IMG_1246.JPG
    Last edited by OX1; 11-30-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

no to thread jack but this is exactly what i was looking for im restoring an 86 coupe and i decided im gonna go efi, i found an engine harness for 150$ local out of an 86 gt thats being parted out is there fuel pump wiring i should ask for as well or just run my own?

FEP User

Default wiring w/swap

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Get what you needed, Scubasfoxes ?
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

If you can get all the pump wiring, relay, inertia switch, level sender wiring, tank (if your original car was 4 cyl), grab it all. I had a full donor 88 GT so, I had every clip, hose, wire, screw, etc. I needed and it cut the cost and time massively. Yes, some of the stuff was a little perished, being 30+ and out of a junkyard but, enought to get 'er going, on factory efi.