Close

Default Interior seat Identification

Back in 89 I installed this set of seats, front and rear, in my 84 GT. It’s time to recover them and I’m trying to ID what year the came it. Also, the original seat reclining mechanism had a foot lever for the rear passenger. The bolsters are higher than the standard seats.
    Here is a photo. Hope some one can help ID them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They appear to be the early sport seats without the adjustable knee bolsters. Those were available in the 1983 models. The 1984-89 sport seats have the adjustable knee bolsters and then the 90-91 seats are similar but with a shorter seat height.

Here is an example of the TMI seat foam for your seats. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-64810J/1983...t-Knee-Bolster

You can order custom seat upholstery for your 84 GT in OEM similar styles and colors from TMI, but they would have to be custom made for the 83 seats since you don't have the knee bolsters. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That's early 1984 Sport Performance seating. Code "HA" on the door tag. Same as the 1983 Sport Performance seating but without the 'mesh' in the front seat headrest. 1983 was also not available with Grey interior, which this seating is.

In mid 1984 the 'sport" seating changed from code H (Sport Performance) to code P (Articulated Sport). I think there were some code H seats in 1984, before the switch to the code P seats, that has pull-out thigh bolsters.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Once again Foxchassis corrects me.

I seem to always forget that there was that early 84 change over, but apparently so do most if not all of the aftermarket manufacturers. Everyone refers to them as the 83 only seats. So definitely keep that in mind when ordering replacement parts, upholstery, etc. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Guys,
    thanks for the quick reply and the great information. We still have the original seats and they are in great condition but I really like the way these ones feel.
    Would love to get this same material pattern but I'm guessing this will be a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by CarNut View Post
    Guys,
    thanks for the quick reply and the great information. We still have the original seats and they are in great condition but I really like the way these ones feel.
    Would love to get this same material pattern but I'm guessing this will be a pipe dream.
    TMI Upholstery has some original style interior fabric, but often its not an exact match. If you want NOS OEM material SMS Autofabric will be your best option. You can order the material thru them if they have your OEM material and then have a local upholstery shop sew up new covers or you can send the material to TMI and they will sew up new covers. They generally don't give a discount for you providing the materials, but they may still be less expensive then having a local shop do the work, since they already have the correct patterns. Good Luck!

https://www.tmiproducts.com/ford/fox...eat-upholstery

https://smsautofabrics.com/
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

they don't make that fabric anymore. they list the 85 and 86 as the same but its totally different. I been looking for it in red for 15 years. there is a place called sms auto fabrics in canby ,Oregon https://smsautofabrics.com that reproduces it but its not an exact match and you will have to make the covers its raw fabric only. last time I checked it was $130 a yard.

Thanks for the additional info on the fabric. These seats were not original to the car, I install them and the matching rear seat back in 89. The rear seat is in great condition so hopefully I can find the material. Not a fan of the TMI material options. That gray velour make me sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk