Close

Default Spent about $1400 today - I will tell the wife tomorrow maybe

For a build on a budget, it's a lot to drop at once. One might ask- what neat things did I get? Two...

I bought the Edelbrock E-Street heads (the 5023 with smaller 1.90 intake valve) with an install kit (ARP bolts, washers, etc) and
    A 7 qt oil pan with dipstick.

I have a factory pan that I cut a hole in and installed a 7.3 diesel dipstick adapter, but the pan internals have a touch of rust. I thought about sanding/painting inside the pan, but didn't want to risk not doing a good enough job and plugging up the pickup or having some rust go in the bearings. I needed this style pan because I am using an older block (1970) and they do not have dip stick provisions.

The title sounds bad, but all is good. She knows it's happening, just not that I pulled the trigger today.

Now I need roller rockers, valve covers, a transmission, to build the 8.8, ...
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    Nice!

Been posted on here before but still one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Every time I tell my wife I scored a valuable part for the car, she says “let’s sell it”. I’m like what? Why? They just don’t understand.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

When I was building my car the wife knew I was spending money on it but the exact amounts were on a need to know basis. I may have neglected to mention how much when I thought the numbers might be a tad higher than what she would have thought. To her credit she never gave me grief about it.

Building a car is like remodeling your house. You try to come up with realistic estimates including everything you'll need, but the actual amounts are always much, much higher. I take my estimate and then double it. I'll still probably be low but at least I'll be in the ballpark.

The good part is that if I ever decided to sell my car I could probably recover a good 10% of what I have in it.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Very funny! Probably the same here.

She wants it on the road and rarely complains about the money. I'm the one that has a harder time doing it. She doesn't know the exact numbers, but not from a deceit perspective. Some, yes, some, ballpark. She knows I am doing my best to balance want and need so she's good with it.

Parts are on their way...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

My wife finds out whenever it shows up on the credit card. She thinks my car is too powerful lol.

I convinced my wife that I could build the car I want "cheaper" than a car that was more "practical". boxes keep showing up at the house but she has yet to ask me how much I am spending!
    "V/I is Futile"
    ---------------------
    1982 Capri RS 5.0
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0
    2014 Mustang GT 5.0

I just spent $1500.00 today for 4 new cats to make me legal
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

There's such a thing as too powerful???
    No way!

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    There's such a thing as too powerful???
    No way!
    I'm reminded of a song listing things that it is impossible to have too much of:

Too much fun? What's that mean?
    It's like too much money, there's no such thing
    It's like a girl too pretty, with too much class
    Being too lucky, a car too fast
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Not a bad song actually.
    And, if you play it backwards you get your dog, house, and wife all back.

Oil pan arrived damaged, but not from shipping. Someone sealed it inside the box with the pan lip totally bent over on one corner. Returned it and replacement is on the way.