Close

FEP Senior Member

Default 04 Mach brake swap

I have a friend who has offered me the entire brake system from his salvaged 04 Mach. None of the brakes and suspension are damaged.

I plan to put the entire rearend in, and up front, I’d like to use a MM tubular k and arms w/coilovers. The Mach rack will go in as well. The master will be 94-95 cobra.

Do any OE type wheels in 17” fit fox chassis cars with complete drop in 99-04 brake/axle setups? Ideally a set of custom spec’d wheels will go on the car, but it’s not budgeted yet, so I need a not-lame alternative until that point. Will say, an 04 cobra wheel clear the front fenders with this swap?

Thanks
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Your problem is going to be in the rear. The Mach1 axle assembly is 3" wider than a Fox axle assembly. You are going to need wheels in the rear with at least 1" more back spacing to fit. 1.5" would be better. Select the wheels to fit correctly in the rear, then install the same wheel in the front, but with thick wheel spacers. Then you can use the same front/rear tire/wheel package and rotate them. Look at S197 wheels. These have a lot of back spacing.

The Mach1 axle assembly has 14mm RLCA holes in it, so you are going to need a set of bastard 12mm/14mm RLCAs to install it. We can supply those.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

FEP Senior Member

I actually have the bastard-bits for the front spherical bushing I bought way back in 04!

Perhaps I’ll re-think my plan with the rear axle. Most of the cooler 05 and later wheels are at least 18”, and don’t look right in the fox wheel wells. I’ll checkout what NorthRacecars has for rear swap brackets.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

If you install 1994-98 axles in your housing and remove the ABS tone rings from them, you should be able to use NRC brackets to install the rear brakes. This will move each rear wheel inwards 0.75".
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support