Close

Default Retro fitting latemodel doors

Using 87-93 doors on an 84, is the only mod to make them look correct grinding the upper molding rivets out and welding them up? What else needs to be done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've actually been wondering this myself, but I have a T-top and I think vert doors would be the way to go, but I'm unsure. I already know I'd have to swap the t-top glass over and that I am unsure of how to do.

You'll have to swap your mirrors over too.
    Last edited by 86GTdriver; 11-10-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

I believe the door panel and armrest mounting MIGHT be different. I swapped aero door panels and switches into my 86 GT 20+ yrs ago and had to drill new holes and add the plastic threaded inserts to do it. Not sure if the old holes are still in the newer doors or not.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

The only other thing you'll have to find is 79-86 window trim. The 87-93 trim stops where the aero side mirrors would meet.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Exterior wise, the doors are identical other than the holes on top as noted above for the Aero trim. Intresting that those holes can work for the early Four Eyes that have the flat trim on top of the doors such as the Pace Car and Convertibles.

The interior of the door has some differences from the Four Eyed doors and even the Four Eyed doors have some differences from the early doors to the later doors. Essentially for the Aero doors you will need to install your arm rest clips in the appropriate locations in order to use the Four Eyed arm rests. Some of the door panel clip holes are in different locations. So you either have to drill new holes or just skip those clips on the door panel.

As for using vert/T-top doors, keep in mind that the late 88-93 doors went to the full length glass and the paddle style mirrors that mount on the door skin rather than on the window frame. If reusing the Four Eyed convertible or T-top glass you will have to fabricate a block off plate where the Four Eyed mirror mount would be to seal up the window opening. Otherwise you can use the Aero convertible or T-top glass with the corresponding model just make sure to use the correct year model weatherstripping on the A pillar post to seal everything up. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks guys. You’ve helped a ton. This is for my son. It’s been years since I’ve used different doors and at the time I intended to. I greatly appreciate the help. You’re awesome as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk