Close

Default Front Control arms are super tight after

Hi all,
    so I went about installing polyurethane bushings on my front control arms but after installing them they're really hard to move up and down is this normal? I haven't installed the rest of the suspension parts only the lower control arm I don't want to do anything else until I know it's correct

Has anybody used these before? I got the prothane ones with the metal casing

Thanks

Are the bolts tight?
    With the bolts tight I would expect the control arm not to pivot on the bolts but just twist the bushings.

This is why you need to tighten the bolts with the weight of the car loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did tighten them but I just I'm worried why did everything together put it on the ground and it's going to be really stiff still.

They were pretty hard to get into the vehicle I had to use my Jack to push them up into place before I could put the bolt through

First the K member is stamped steel and generally will deform when tightening the lower control arms. So that decreases the clearance for new bushings and is why yours were so tight to install in the first place.

Second did you tighten the front control arm bolts with the suspension fully loaded or unloaded up in the air? Most of the poly bushings say you can tighten the control arm bolts with the suspension unloaded, but I prefer to do it with the full weight of the vehicle sitting on the suspension. Its makes all the difference with stock replacement bushings and I just have gotten in the habit of doing the same with any bushings no matter the material. My standard procedure is to lightly tighten the control arm bolts and then drive the car around the block a time or two and then tighten everything to specifications. Seems to alleviate any ride height issues I might have from tightening everything with the suspension unloaded. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ok thanks. I'll loosen the bolts back up and after everything is together and on the ground I'll torq it up as you suggested.

Thanks for your help.

The ONLY bushing that need to have its bolt tightened at ride height is a rubber bushing. This is because a rubber bushing is bonded to the crush sleeve on the ID and the shell on the OD. If you tighten its bolt at anything other than ride height, the bushing is going to be twisted when the suspension is at ride height (99% of the time).

Polyurethane cold flows and does wear. Because of this, you do want the FCA bushings to be on the tight side when the FCA is installed. Over time, the thrust surfaces on the bushings will wear and the FCA will have less friction. If you start with the bushing so that it has no friction, once the bushing wears, the FCA will have play in its fore/aft motion.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Thanks Jack,

That makes sense I appreciate the feedback. Its a lot of work getting it changed out so I wanted to make sure it was done right before getting it all back together