Close

Default Rebuilding 84 Capri Wire Harness

Looking back on an old, Nov,2015 old.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...chmentid=92427

This is what I was up against. Now that the Capri is sidelined I am looking into body, and engine work.
    I cut and spliced back then, but the next time I want to replace pins, connectors if needed to do it right.
    My other concern is the original wire and or insulation failure.
    I believe under hood fires talked about in the forums were caused by this.
    Is there resources available to track down suppliers of these items and specs on wire grades.

I create wire harnesses for the machines we build, and rebuild. These live in different methods of containment,
    conduits, and wire ways. So recreating an engine harness looks like a new challenge.
    Last edited by Ray Dog; 11-07-2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Fix photo attachment
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

The 84SVTStang FAST EZ EFi conversion our fire suppression system guru is what you need to see. Page 19 to 24 especially, starting #441.

This is 34.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...19#post1884419

JACooks shot glass and OTC 4460 rejuvenation of each block connector and an understanding of how each of the VECI and EVTM parts is what you need.

Plasktnkr2 has a post on it. Starting page 10

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ix-quot/page10

No links just yet.

Many of the different connectors are available for the Fox Mustang, but unfortunately several of the under hood connectors are not. I ran into this issue with Erratic50's Saleen clone and the main engine harness connectors. I was unable to find any new source for 2 of the connectors we needed for his car. Fox Resto makes a new engine harness for the 85 5.0 and I believe they have one for the 84 also, so that solved part of the issue, but I was not able to source a new body harness connector to complete the repairs. I finally was able to find a good 85 harness that I had stashed away with a pair of good used connectors that will allow me to finish the electrical wiring.

The 84 model year had wiring and insulation issues for all the models from my understanding, so that is a concern for me with any project. I personally would rather replace all of the wiring than worry about repairing some or all of it. Now you may not want to go thru that trouble or expense, but I would recommend considering it. Personally I like Ron Francis Wire Works over any of the other popular wiring kits. I have installed them in at least a dozen cars over the years and never had an issue with any of them. My 79 Pace Car has one of their kits and my 82 GT will be getting one also. If you are familiar with wiring I am sure you can tackle this project and with a quality kit like Ron Francis it will be an easy exercise for you. Their labeled wiring and detailed instructions allow an electrical novice like myself to tackle it no problem. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Cool

Do you want some new body harness connectors made?

Its sort of like the " five ports 'S', 'B/R', 'A/C', 'S/C', 'B/B'." EFI vacuum tree/hoses tee post...You can have them made if you need them.

see http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ts-Compilation

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Another piece to try making. Electrical connectors. They are do brittle after all these years that the tabs usually break more often than not when trying to unplug something. With all the connectors made the rest is easily obtainable to build new wiring harnesses.

Note: That Fords EVTM list is not always correct. "Runing changes" are so common, and mistakes are common too. Ford shows you the unrevise at birth connector letter and number, and sometimes, that changes, so YRMV. Ford and GM exist to throw cars together very fast, and if a supplier gets a new idea or the parent company decides on another Better Way or New Idea, it gets put into the car stat. Those variations AREN'T charted on the EVTM

Get over it, don't be entrenched, and get into it. Everyone will help you, and once you nail it, you'll feel like a goD rather than a Dog

If its 2.3 Lima, then you've moved to the 4 th gen connectors from the EECIV system has a lot of wires to an from the engine to control the 1-bbl Carter YFA feedback carb, TFi. See BM's post below.....

They are really nice to rewire, a lot of brilliant parts exist, and the advice is very good. JACooks shot glass treatment is mandatory. It must be an old trick from his native Texas before he transplanted to Cali.

Old habits Die Hard...

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    OTC 4460 2-piece Electrical Connector Separator Tool.
    Owatonna Tool Company stuff is very good.

JA Cook likes to give each clip the Texan shot glass treatment, and soak in mineral terps, then wash out with clean water. Then dry. Then use an Exacto knife to trim the clips so they don't grab so serverly.

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post
    I use a small pick set that I have. Nothing fancy.

The common junction parts are the same thru all the 1981 to 1984 cars and trucks. Stone age Fox to pre OBD 2.

We lock threads on Aero to FEP cars, not because we don't have the tech, its just that this stuff is getting parted out all the time, Ray.

FEP's sole existence is to preserve foureyed cars. Being a Purists is a byword for being a patronizing knob, but you know what? That's ok....

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.
    Did not think of creating connectors not available at this time.
    The idea is to stay with the 4, but minimum fuel injected, or a turbo would be cool.
    I never did like following the pack.
    I have some frame issues to work through as well.
    The bad rear main seal is the reason why I parked it for now.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

The MegaSquirt guys use the 60 pin plug EECIV pinouts and you can copy the upgraded method of putting port EFi into an 84 Ford in the same way Brad did the 89 5.0 into 79 ESS swap.

An EFi intake with a 4180C 4bbl with a Percys Adjustajet operating the mixtures as aFeedback 2.3 would work like a carb controlling all the fuel air ratios led by the basic MS2E.

Anything is possiable. Lots of options. The Carter YF 2.3 had a bad wrap...lots of the good ideas with TFi and mixture control and fault codes.

Id rewire it as it is, and look at a turbo blow through if you get past the basics. The carb can flow 160 hp.